Sign in to follow this  
Auric

Help with the ESC/BEC/LiPo in a FPV Easyglider

Help, I have been looking everywhere for an answer to these questions and no one has yet given me a complete answer. Even TowerHobbies refused to help because I am doing something “not recommended by the manufacturer” (adding two more servos for FPV pan and tilt). I have purchased an easyglider and plan on using the stock 400 brushed motor. I will have 6 servos in the plane:

2 x Hitec HS-81 Micro Servo U

2 x Hitec HS-55 Economy Sub Micro Servo

1 x HS56 with Karbonite gears

1 x HS85 with Metal gears

I will also be using the Futaba R319DPS Synthesized 72mHz PCM Receiver.

I want to run all of this (excluding the FPV video setup) off one 2S, possibly 3S, LiPo (Lithium Poly) battery.

Here are my questions taking into consideration I know next to nothing of how to implement a BEC/ESC.

1) If I use the stock 400 brushed motor, how should I setup the ESC/BEC? Setup specifications and actual product names would be a big help. Should I use an ESC/BEC combo, do I need to add on a ParkBEC (keeping in mind I will have 6 servos)?

2) What if I was to go with a 400 brushless 4D, 6D, 8D motor, what setup should I use?

3) Which exact LiPo battery would you recommend? How many volts, mAh, and a 2S or 3S?

4) Also, can I attach an additional BEC to an ESC that has a built in BEC?

Thank you very much for helping me with this. This seems like a question that a lot of beginners would have.

Edited by Auric

There's some related brushless info here (plus, the site has experienced electric model users that can help you): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629055

As far as installing six servos on the ESC's BEC, it all depends on the ESC you buy. Its instructions will recommend how many servos can be used, which is related to the battery voltage. Personally, with six servos I would recommend an external BEC like the UBEC or ParkBEC {especially if you plan to use a 3-cell LiPO!}. To disable the ESC's internal BEC output, just remove (and insulate) the red wire from its 3-wire cable.

hm.. i´ve got a related problem..

i am thinking about using a ubec for my ES, but so far i don´t understand how it is best incorporated in the current hardware...

Afaik the UBEC is also connected to the main power source (lipo) ... right? The red cable of the BEC has to be severed (as mentioned above)... so far so good..

How do i connect both the ESC and the UBEC to the Lipo? I guess i could rig something but i´d like to know if theres an elegant option... :P

Thx in advance :P

hm.. i´ve got a related problem..

i am thinking about using a ubec for my ES, but so far i don´t understand how it is best incorporated in the current hardware...

Afaik the UBEC is also connected to the main power source (lipo) ... right? The red cable of the BEC has to be severed (as mentioned above)... so far so good..

How do i connect both the ESC and the UBEC to the Lipo? I guess i could rig something but i´d like to know if theres an elegant option... :P

Thx in advance :P

Well, you might like to solder a T-style-adapter made of a male and a female Deans plug, and a cable with a JST connector on the other end to which you will connect your BEC. The ESC is plugged into the Deans connector as usual. Alternatively you can just solder the cable with the JST connector directly to the battery connector of your ESC and forget about the 2 extra Deans plugs.

On the output side make sure that there is NO electrical connection between the 5V out of the BEC and the 5V out of the ESC! Otherwise you will fry one of them or both.

You can supply, for example, elevator and rudder Servos and the receiver from the ESC, and ailerons and pan/tilt from the BEC. Just make sure that the signal wires from the servo connectors is plugged into the proper sockets of the receiver. The servos will get their power and GND via the BEC (and the others via the ESC).