Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy an RCA "Dongle" like BlackwidowAV sells(http://www.blackwidowav.com/FlexWAV2.html)? BWAV is the only company I found selling them. I was planning to buy an av system from BWAV but they do not respond to email, so they are "out the door" as far as I am concerned. I will purchase from Rangevideo, but they do not sell a similar dongel or adapter cable.

I assume the dongle plugs in the tranmitter connector (male connector) which matches the female connector for cameras such as the KX131, with the other and a standard RCA connector to enable plug in with cable to A/V out on the camera. I am unable to buy the parts to build one at my location and therefore need to pick one up ready to go. `

Any ideas or weblinks for purchase?

Thanks for the input, but I don't think I was clear on what I needed. If I understand correctly, Lawmate (RangeVideo/BWAV) transmitters have a built in female connection which matches the standard female connecor on a CCD cam (e.g. kx131). The small cable between the tx and cam has the male connectors. The tiny connectors I believe are 3 or 4 wire.

What I would like to do is have the same cable connector on one end, and an male RCA connector on the other. I am just assuming this is what one would do to hook up the tx to a the AV out on a digital cam along with a simple RCA cable.

The only other alternative I see is to buy something like BWAV Digi-live tx which has a male RCA jack hard-wired in already. Then I would just use a simple RCA cable from tx to cam. But again, BWAV does not respond to email.

I am hoping I would not have to cut into the tx to solder on a RCA connector.

Edited by qb7

The 4-pin connectors on transmitters and cameras very rarely match (I don't think I've ever had a pair that worked together). Anyway, even if you can connect them you still need to hack into the wires to add the power connections. We all cut the plugs off and solder the wires as needed. On that system, BWAV do the same and add a RCA connector for you.

Rangevideo TX (at least the 100mW) comes with an adapter from the small header connector to a standard round DC plug and 2 female RCAs for audio and video. You might want to ask them if it's the case with the one you want too. Bear in mind that like many of those moulded plug cables they're not really made for aircraft use and thus are about 4 times as big and 3 times as heavy as the transmitter itself...

One more thing about the cable Mr.RC-Cam posted: Check first that your digital camera has a jack output... some use proprietary plugs. Anyway, the correct cable is usually delivered with the camera.

(1) The connector on the KX-131 is a specialized JST receptacle. A mating pigtail cable, with bare leads, comes with the uncased KX-131 (or can be cut off the cased version's power supply). Rangevideo has pigtail cables too (not shown on web site, email them instead).

(2) The connection to BWAV's FLexwave Tx is a female RCA. Does your Tx already have a RCA on it? The extra weight & bulk is something many of us don't like, so it is no great loss to omit it. Solder splicing to the common Lawmate Tx's bare wires is popular since locating the special connector used on them is difficult. The digikey part number to the 200mW Lawmate Tx's mating receptacle is WM7622CT (won't fit other Lawmates).

(3) The connection to most modern digital still cameras is via special USB style connector. However, many Camcorders use the 4-conductor 3.5mm A/V connector shown on the cable I posted above (which you can hack off to get rid of all the unwanted weight). There is no standard, so YMMV.

Long story short, why not just build what you need? What you need depends on what you got.

Please excuse my lack absence in responding. Work as taken me off line for quite some time.

Sounds like my best bet is just to "splice and dice" cables as needed. The reason I was after ready made system adapters is due to the lack of availability to electronic accessories at my location, such as connectors, etc. And, ordering a few connectors via the internet is both a waste of time and money; unless absolutely necessary.

My Canon A640 comes with a cable for the A/V out, so I will just try and cut the cable and solder it directly to the Tx. Or, I might try and find some small generic matching connectors so I can hook up either the A640 or a small CCD cam to the tx.

I will post some pics of my hack for critique once my A640 arrives. Thanks again for all your help guys.