Sign in to follow this  
Haku

I-Visor DH-4400VP(D) LCD glasses

I got my I-Visor DH-4400VP(D) LCD glasses today, giving them a quick test I have to say after reading the specs on the web I'm quite disappointed in them.

Yes they're 800x600 resolution, yes they have dual inputs on both PC and composite video for various 3D modes (dual input, interlaced etc.) but in 2D mode the Sony Glasstron PLM-S700's blow them clean away.

The main thing I don't like about them is that to achieve a colour 800x600 resolution they employ a system similar to the the single chip DLP projectors/tvs out there by very quickly displaying the red element of the image, then the green then the blue, so when you move your eyes round the image you get red/green/blue trails everywhere and the image appears to be constantly flickering :(

The fact they run off 5v 2.2A with no fan in the base is nice but they sure ain't no Sony Glasstrons, the build construction of the actual headset is poor, not very comfortable to wear for too long (I guess that's why they put a 2 hour warning screen when you power the thing up) and takes a while to adjust them so your eyes are dead center in the screens or else the image goes blurry at the corners.

One nice thing they did was add a thumbwheel on the front just above the nose for adjusting the distance between the LCD screens, so if your eyes are closer or further away from your nose than the average person you can adjust the screens to align with your eyes.

I haven't yet fully tested the 3D aspect of the glasses, my main intention is to hook up two AV receivers picking up the image from two cameras on an RC car, but I discovered another bad aspect of these glasses - the specs say they can take NTSC/PAL video input which they can but they're locked into NTSC, inputting PAL gives you a steady, colour, non-rolling image but the bottom 20% of the image is cut-off and movement isn't smooth because it's trying to display a 25fps signal on a 29.97fps display. The manual doesn't say anything about altering the input standards to PAL or NTSC, and there's nothing in the menus of the glasses.

Not sure what I want to do with them now, going to do some more testing but I'm guessing it'll just lead me to confirm that I don't like them which is a real shame because they appeared to have great potential.

One thing these have shown me is that my Sony Glasstron PLM-S700's really are the dogs *you know what* when it comes to high quality LCD glasses.

Oh yeah, tricolor LED backlight with monochrome panel. I've also had a low-cost set that worked like this - pretty clever, but the color change frequency is usually indeed a bit too low due to the LCD's slow response time.

BTW, the S700 shut themselves down automatically after something like 2hrs as well. It took me a very long time to notice that, actually I only passed that time the day I watched The Matrix with them :P

On the field you're very unlikely to see it, as anyway the battery will be empty way before that :lol:

Edited by Kilrah

There's only 3 aspects of the S700's I don't like, the noisy fan is the most annoying part which wouldn't be so annoying if secondly the cable between the glasses and control box was double the length - it's too short and not a cable I can replace myself with a longer one, thirdly the power consumption but that isn't such a great problem.

Everything else about those Glasstrons is great.

On the subject of power consumption I may have a solution in a couple of months which means I could run LCD screen, LCD glasses, recorder of some sort - and charge RC batteries all in one. I've put a deposit on the next year model of an electric bike that comes out in April, it'll have a lithium-polymer battery pack which outputs 24v and 12Ah (current model is NiMH 8Ah and they said the new model would have 50% more power), just hope I can tap into that power without breaking the warranty on the battery/bike...

The fan doesn't disturb me at all. Outside there's always loads of more noisy things, and when watching a movie I have big headphones shouting loud enough to cover that :P

I agree on the cable length though. I guess they couldn't make it much more longer without getting interference on the signals...

I've found a solution to the power issue without even thinking about it - I bought a Sony HDR-FX7 camcorder a few weeks ago, and directly asked the store to put me the biggest battery they had for it along. Turns out it's the same size as the S700 expects, so the big 6.6Ah pack found a double use and will power the S700 for more than 3hrs :)

Update on playing with these glasses some more, finally discovered there IS a setting in the menu for changing between PAL/NTSC/SECAM input so now my PAL cameras & Archos look great on it. Now to get a pair of identical AV transmitter/receiver setups so I can drive my car in stereoscopic vision :D (and stereo audio if I want...)

As these glasses had the earphones & back strap removed for use in some academic project I'm going to have to make a new back strap & add earphones, also there was some breakage to a couple of the hindges between the top piece that goes on your forehead and the glasses, superglue solved the hindge problem but making them as comfortable to wear as the Sony PLM-S700's might be difficult.

In short, I'm much happier with them today than I was yesterday when I got them. They still aren't Sony PLM-S700's though ;)