chris.kirkman

Cam Man PIC programming

I'm trying to build the CamMan Aiptek having bought a camera which I want to fit to a Wot4.

I'm having a problem programming the PIC chip getting an error message "Buffer overflow - the program loaded was too long for the currently selected PIC device. Select a larger memory device".

The programmer is a Chip Factory from www.rev-ed.co.uk and using their Picaxe Serial PIC programming software.

PIC type selected is PIC 12C508A and the file size is 1,774 bytes so I can not understand why this should be too long for the PIC chip.

Can anybody offer any advice.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Chris Kirkman

Just a wild guess: Sounds like the programmer is loading the file in binary mode rather than hex. Check to see if this is what it is trying to do.

Thanks for the reply. I've checked this but it is loading as hex not binary. Strange thing is when I select 12C509A it loads the file OK but chip I have is a 12C508. Do you know if I could program the 508 chip using the settings for 509?

Thanks

Your success using the 509 settings is unknown. If you don't mind the possibility of ruining the chip, then it is worth a try.

However, something strange is going on. I sugest an email to the programmer system's vendor.

Thanks once again.

I did as you suggested and I quote their response:

The hex files are not in legal Microchip (Intel Hex) format. They have an extra :PIC12C508 at the bottom which is not Intel hex standard.

Delete this line and they should then work ok.

After doing this I still got the same result so contacted them once more and the reply this time was:

Also delete the line starting :0804...

This is not needed either.

:unsure:

Any comments?

The hex file compatibility issues are a bit odd and I cannot comment much on them. The ;PIC12C508 line begins with a semicolon, so it should be ignored by the programmer's S/W. The :0804 line complaint is strange too.

Does it work after you follow their instructions?

Attached is a binary formatted file for the CamMan-Aiptek project. If your programmer can't read this then something is really goofy.

BTW, the displayed checksum of this file should match the revealed checksum of the hex file.

camman.zip

Quote from suppliers of PIC programmer:

It is not an issue with our software! The lines we have asked you to delete are illegal intel hex format lines. They have been added as a non-standard comment by whatever software the original user used - it certainly wasn't any Microchip development software, most probably some free internet software that produces non-standard .hex files.

These error lines in effect corrupt the hex file, giving data at an address higher than than physically present in the 12C508 - hence the error mesage in the 508. These addresses do work in the 509, hence no error. This means you would get extra (unneeeded) bytes of data in the 509.

I have loaded the binary file, set configuration bits then saved it as hex.

Also loaded your original hex file, modified it as suggested by the providers of the programming software, set the configuration bits and resaved it. The 2 files were then identical.

By the way, besides the programming settings you mentioned I also have an option for Calibration and a Hex value associted with it. Should this be used?

That particular hex file was not created with a "free" compiler. It was the hex file created by the very popular CCS "C" compiler. I have no idea why your programmer's software does not like it. It's good to hear that the vendor offered a simple solution for you.

The calibration value must NOT be changed on OTP parts. If you have an eraseable PIC, then the factory cal value must be read BEFORE the first use. Then the recorded value would be manually entered with each new programming burn.

BTW, changing the OSC value on a OTP part would render the PIC useless.