Sign in to follow this  
skimo

Newbie Help - Camera system for Car

Hello,

I have been looking into implementing a wirless cam setup arround my car (real car not rc) for an upcoming event (1 week). I understand this is forum is for RC Models but was hoping I could get some tips and guidance from the experienced.

I have done lots of searching of this forum, but since my requirements are slightly different and have a tight schedule, I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions.

My objective is to mount the wirless cams inside the hood / front bumper/ rear of the vehicle to be able to capture cool vidoes from these angles.

I only have $80 to spend per camera/Tx/Rx setup so I was thinking of going the ebay route with a pinhole CMOS. My concerns:

1) I do not need long range (the receiver is in the trunk attached to a laptop), can I get more Camera for Less Radio?

2) Will the vibrations of the car signigicantly affect the CMOS video? Alternatives?

3) I have 1 week to pull this off, I was hoping someone could tell me whats the best wireless setup I could get given the requirements? (audio + video).

I am an electrical engineer with access to labs etc. So I do not mind doing some minor PCB work, but as long as 1 week is enough time.

Thanks in advance.

Skimo

I would not use wireless, I would run 3mm co-ax.

Also forget the cmos if you need quality, go for ccd.

Terry

Thanks terry.

I found it would be very difficult to run wires arround. It is do-able, but wireless seems more flexible.

Any "ready CCD setups" you recommend? Where can I get it from?

Thanks

skimo

A wired system would be worth the effort, your budget is low and multi wireless systems can give problems, particularly in a car.

I am in the UK so I will leave it to the other guys to point you where to go. Good luck.

Terry

I'd go wired too. As Terry said with multiple wireless at close range you're more prone to interference. You'll be dependent on the surroundings too (reflexions on the buildings, WiFi networks,... ) too. Instead of spending $80 for wireless systems with bad CMOS cams put the same amount for CCD cams alone.

Well for a good video you will need a good cameras not excellent not HD either, and a good camera will cost your budget of $80.00 for each camera, you will find a ccds cameras ( I did not have good results with Ebay cameras ) at ebay from $35.00 plus $10.00 - $15.00 shipping, so it's up to you

Spent more, and you will not regret, and don't go wirellesn either, because a recommended transmitter and receiver cost more twice your budget.

If you come for advice it's what I have tell you.

For sure if you find a ebays setup to spend your $80.00, you will be watching someone else car video with a better setup and you will understand what we are talking about, and your $80.00 investments is going to end up somewhere else in your garage.

B)

I vote for wired too. Use the money saved to buy decent CCD cameras. However, having only one week to obtain the hardware, install, and debug, leaves this as a very risky project.

Popular CCD camera suppliers are supercircuits.com (expensive, but lots to choose from), blackwidowav.com, rangevideo.com, and others. Budget about $90-$150 for each CCD board camera. If there will be indoor use, the LUX rating should be carefully considered (lower Lux = more $).

Great thanks. Ok..im going wired as per your recommendation.

So, down to technicals... How do I interface a wired system to a lap-top for recording? The wirless option had a "video-out" on the receiver which plugged nicely to a lap-top through a USB<> Video.

Apploigies for my ignorance, but how will I interface the CCD board camera --> coax (BNC) --> laptop. Do I need a seperate cable for power? Are the Audio and Video muxed on one coax?

To make things easier and due to time, I'm going with only one mini camera. (will use inside-mount camcorders for the other angles). This gives me a larger budget now, about $ 240 :) :)

Thanks for your help guys, it would have taken me countless research and error without your input.

If it happens, I'llbe sure to share with you the video :)

Skimo

How do I interface a wired system to a lap-top for recording?

Plan on making cables. An easy job for a practicing EE.

Do I need a seperate cable for power?

Yes. If you choose a 12V compaible camera things will be easier for you.

Are the Audio and Video muxed on one coax?

No. Besides, a mic is rarely built into the popular CCD board/bullet cameras. If you need sound, include a wired mic in the budget.