Sign in to follow this  
Aerial Platform

FAA Crack Down

I am still not sure what the news are. From the article it sounds that FAA position has not changed, FAA said long time ago that commercial UAV will not be given model status. I need to read the release itself to figure out any impact for us, modellers.

But I found this link which shows near collision between UAV and A300:

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsse...px?ItemID=11940

It's not the modellers that cause problems to FAA, it's commercial UAV operators. I guess it's bad that I can't sell my helicopter as a UAV to the local police department but it's way off my wish list anyway.

Also it's funny that FAA have a dispute with sheriff's department according to the article. Because police is the only real force to ensure compliance with UAV laws (at least for small models that dont need commercial runways). And if cops are pissed on FAA ... let's say better for us.

Edited by cyber-flyer

I think the problem is the blurred line between a commercial UAV and a model plane as now people do commercial work with a model plane.

Terry

Edited by Terry

I think the problem is the blurred line between a commercial UAV and a model plane

Why is it blurried? One is making money and another one is loosing it :)

Why is it blurried? One is making money and another one is loosing it

But it's hard to say which makes the most money. Or better put, which is losing the least? :)

It does not matter if you are making or losing money... Commercial means you are CHARGING for services... If you take pictures and charge for them, its commercial.

If you take pictures and post them, or give them away for free to your friends its a hobby. Not much room for confusion...

JettPilot

It does not matter if you are making or losing money...

Agree, I meant to say that the difference is pretty clear. And I hope FAA didn't spin their wheels trying to figure out how to differentiate commercial entity from a hobby.