ThomasScherrer

Audio track as modem data NMEA

You indeed need to buy the Google Earth Plus version to connect the GPS.

hey sorry to bother. im interested in adding real time tracking to my rc plane using tinytrack plus. i sure dont ahve the electronics knowledge you gurus have but i have basic common sense and i have tinkered with few video systems and even the inspire osd so i follow instructions good. so my question is what would i need to do to feed my TX with the information from the tiny trak and at the base station do i just feed the audio out of my RX into my latop and run the apropiate software .... by the way im thinking of buying one of the 5hz receivers from mr rc-cam . will that work with the tinytrak and what would be the pinout... basically what im trying to find out is the pin positions that should be used into the tinytrak and out . agin thanks for you help kilrah ... i almost forgot i've been dying to buy a head tracker for my gogles but i keep seeing that jr radios are not compatible yet and since i recently bought a 9303 before i got into fpv i cant afford buying another expensive radio... any solutions for the JR yet? sorry for the long email and all the questions thanks you

-AT-qnzkrew:

I recommend "TrackOn" from www.hinztec.de as a software for your laptop. It enables you to do realtime tracking with the APRS data sent by TinyTrak. Works perfectly well. You also need a decoder on the receiver side to convert the FSK signal coming from the audio output of the video receiver into RS232 serial data. A good self-assembly kit is the "AS232" from AATIS. It's on a german site. But other TNCs also work.

You can feed any Graphic into TrackOn to be used as a map. Just take a screen shot from GoogleEarth and load into your TrackOn maps directory, initialize the coordinate parameters when importing it, and you're done. It works very very nice and reliable, plus it's extremely easy to use :-)

Cheers,

Hartwig

@qnzkrew:

thank you very much hartwig for taking your time and reading over my question and answerign it i will check on those websites right now again thanks for you help

Just a detail, the TinyTrack won't accept a 5Hz GPS input. You'll need to set the module for normal 1Hz update and RS232 baudrate.

thanks kilrah for your input i just have another question i have a garmin geko 201 feeding my inspire osd would i be able to feed both my inspire OSD and a tinytrack or do i have to have a separate gps thanks guys for all your help. oh and i know this is not the forum for this but i also want to to thank you mr rc-cam for the keeping the website goin. :)

Just a detail, the TinyTrack won't accept a 5Hz GPS input. You'll need to set the module for normal 1Hz update and RS232 baudrate.

That, plus the EB-85A's serial output is 3V non-inverted TTL, where as the TinyTrak is setup for standard RS-232 levels (inverted signal, bigger voltage swings). So, it will require at least a transistor stage to interface the two. If the EB-85A is used with the Inspire OSD, then the RS-232 conversion/buffer circuitry is built into it. TinyTrak would connect to Inspire's external 4-pin RS-232 port (buffered NMEA output is on pin 2) and the EB-85A would use Inspire's micro-GPS 6-pin serial interface.

I have a garmin geko 201 feeding my inspire osd would i be able to feed both my inspire OSD and a tinytrack or do i have to have a separate gps thanks guys for all your help.

You can either "Y" off the Geko 201's serial cable or you can use the external RS232 port on Inspire. Either would work fine.

I know this is not the forum for this but i also want to to thank you mr rc-cam for the keeping the website goin.

You are welcome. Please realize that this thread is dedicated to Thomas's DZL modem project. As a courtesy to him, please start up a new discussion for your questions so that this one can stay on topic. Plus, there is an existing discussion for the Inspire OSD, so feel free to use it for Inspire questions. Also, there are some old discussions about TinyTrak floating around in the forum, so be sure to review them.

Output Stage Test Report

I just got finished with a couple of days of testing various TX output stages to work with my TX (Lawmate 600mW from BW) and a simple gain pot alone seems to work best with what I’m using. Once the 633s get here, I test with those too.

The output into the radio link TX is pretty square and becomes pretty round by the time it is output from the radio link RX (no surprise). Lowering the gain made a big difference in “receive ability” whereas the filter properties (resistor/cap values) did not seem to affect “receive ability” as much.

I have a flight scheduled for tomorrow.

Feature Set

To broaden the usability of the commercial version of the modem, I am planning on adding a regulator for 6-12v, power led, MAX233 and DB9 to the RX (weight is not such an issue on the RX). To keep costs down, I’m planning on shrink-wrap as opposed to a hard case.

The TX will come in two versions to keep size, weight and cost down. The “modem only” version will not have a regulator or GPS module but I am thinking of adding a MAX233 to broaden the appeal of the device. The downside is that folks that already have a TTL GPS will have a chip (MAX233) they don’t need. Yeah, one can pry it off to save weight, power but size remains the same.

The second TX option will feature a regulator and GPS module (no MAX233 necessary) for a turnkey solution.

Alpha Testing

Hartwig did some hard work and offered a useful report. Hats off for a great effort. I have some chip sets for anyone else that wants to help in the Alpha testing. The beta program will start when the PCBs get here ( a week – two tops) and will be a complete kit for evaluation. I’m not sure if it makes sense to offer a kit for sale. PM me if you want to help out.

Input

I’m open to input from you guys on how best to package features and follow through with the commercial version.

Jeff

>Lowering the gain made a big difference in “receive ability” whereas the filter

>properties (resistor/cap values) did not seem to affect “receive ability” as much.

EXACTLY !!

and this level issue is not visible when testing with sinus waves.

I continue to work on the DZL Modem commercial prototype. The first TX board will be TTL only as it's the smallest and easiest to make. The RX is going to be built into a small SerPac box to allow it to survive plugging and unplugging of the DB9 and RCA connectors. The battery compartment option is only available on the larger box (A-21) and it will force all connections to be made on the front panel. So.... I'm axing the battery in favor of a DC IN jack (6-13v) and using a smaller box (A-20). Printing on the box top (labels, logos, ext.) will add a $150 set-up fee and $1.60 per box fee so I'm going to skip printing for P-Touch labels for the first 5 prototype units. Mark, Thomas and DZL: you guys should decide what you'd like printed on the future units.

The images are of the worst signals that still produce a GPS serial stream on the RX end. I still have yet to test with simultaneous video.

More soon... I'll be working most of the weekend on this...

Jeff

post-6-1177182403_thumb.jpg

Question to Thomas (et. al.),

You wrote: "ok I know this is a crasy test with out any filter at all on the tx side."

Is a filter on the DZL TX necessary?... Can we assume a filter on the input side of whatever device (audio channel of a VidTX) to which the DZL TX may be connected?

I have found that the filter (of various values) works against me in my trials. My lack knowledge and experience in this area works against me too but that's another story. :rolleyes:

The DZL RX seems to be immune to an amazing amount of crud (now that I have it working). :huh:

Jeff

Edited by jparisse

Progress Report - DZL Modem RX

The five prototype DZLRX1 kits are almost ready. Shown below is the handmade PCB and the Serpac A-20 box I've chosen for the receiver unit. There is no amplifier stage at this point and I'd like to leave it that way unless beta testing points otherwise.

I will prototype the DZLTX1 (TTL TX) tomorrow. I know "WE" don't need a RS-232 version since "WE" can solder that up without delay. The general AP marketplace, however, may NEED a RS-232 GPS input option so the present TX design includes a MAX233 (no capacitors although 6x more expensive than a MAX232 and caps) and will have two male servo leads as GPS inputs (TTL and RS-232).

You guys must know the AP marketplace better than I so I'm hoping you may have a feel for the "necessity" of adding that extra chip. Please chime in if you have any thought that may lead to product improvement. Thanks.

Jeff

post-6-1177442730_thumb.jpg

Edited by jparisse

Couldn't you use the 232 + caps like on that photo?

If not and the price difference for the chip is high, I'd make 2 versions, one with TTL only and one with both. People who have a TTL GPS won't be likely to go back to a RS232 one...

I was thinking of the MAX233 for size reasons given that every ounce and inch (gram and millimeter) :D count in airborne applications. Perhaps make the TTL version with a header for an optional TTL to Serial "daughtercard"?

I used the less expensive and capacitor laden chip for the RX since it is used on the ground and the PCB size is dictated by the mounting holes of the enclosure.

Jeff

So far the following three people have signed up for the five available beta units (the cost will be my cost - TBD as soon as I know - it ain't much.. :)

0 Jeff Parisse

00 Scott Foes

1 Mark Harris

2 Gary Mortimer

3 Jorge (Wavess)

Edited by jparisse

>The DZL RX seems to be immune to an amazing amount of crud

> (now that I have it working).

hehe, great super, I am happy you got it working.

Hi Guys...

The DZLRX01 boards are on the way. Beta testers get first batch...

Jeff

post-6-1178055252_thumb.jpg

OH MY GOD!!! :lol:

DZL !!! The man who has caused all this mess!!! :rolleyes: Welcome! It is an honor to meet you sir. Great job on that modem dude!... It has been in my dreams and hands for weeks as I ready your device for public consumption.

I have parts for six kits (mine plus the 5 beta units) however, I have eight prototype PCBs (no silkscreen) on order so I can set aside another for you.

Once the prototype is beta tested, I have chips and discrete parts to make an order of 20 for Mark Harris should he want them. I'm waiting on ordering the A-20 enclosures because I will probably silkscreen labels (logos, directions, etc.) on the boxes for the "for sale" version.

Jeff

DZL Beta Testers

0 Jeff Parisse - Paid

0 qnzkrew - Paid

0 DZL

1 Mark Harris

2 Gary Mortimer

3 Jorge (Wavess) - Paid

4 Hartwig - Paid

5 Sébastien Gravit (tazdevil3000)

Guys,

Please PM me the address that you would like your DZL Modem kit to be sent. Since this is such an international group (Scott lives two miles from me... the rest of you are all over the globe!) it will give me a chance to budget postage. I understand that you don't know the cost yet but it will be the same as mine (less really :rolleyes: ) and if, after knowing the cost, you choose to opt out, no problem at all as there are others on the Beta testing waiting list.

I'm working on the costs now that I have everything ordered or on hand. To keep it as cheap as possible, I'm going to put together parts-only kits and only assemble units for those that want me to. Unless anyone objects, we'll keep the beta dialogue here in this thread for the benefit of the group.

Jeff

Edited by jparisse

My comments for the DZLRX01 board:

no capacitor on the input side of U3, I suggest 100nF and 10-100uF in parallel.

and no protection diode on the input to save the regulator in case of wrong polarity input.

also some 7805 ragulators are known to be unstable if not decoubled directly on the output with 100nF and 10uF-100uF, test and see if any issue there,

and/or check with the 7805 type datasheet.

the 100nF cap's can be added using 0805 size SMD directly between the pins of the 7805.

Thomas,

Thanks for the review... I wondered about the input side capacitor of U3 as the datasheet indicated it is optional and only needed for long runs to the power supply (or wording to that effect). I was planning on adding a discrete cap to the parts list so beta testers could experiment with it. I should have taken the "safe not sorry" approach and included it anyway.

The output side has a 100uf, 50V electrolytic.

The input diode is a nice touch (you're a nicer guy than me... I was gonna let it burn as a lesson to the user). :lol: Just kidding... ! That should be an easy fix to the beta boards too; use a diode instead of a lead to the power jack.

Re: SMT - My fingers are too big and they just get bigger under the magnifying glass!

Thanks again Thomas.... I'll have the TX boards up to evaluate in a couple of hours.

Jeff

Edited by jparisse

I'd really suggest going SMD, as these boards look pretty darn big haha.

My fingers are not that small either, however i have a few friends:

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area...a=item&id=T2377

and

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area...a=item&id=T2421

I dont use a magnifying glass either. I use 0.5mm solder, so you cant add too much at once and bugger it up.

Mark,

At work (www.teslacoil.com), I make my electrical connections with a 3/4" box wrench. The only soldering iron at work is a 120W Weller with a 1/2" wide tip. Low voltage for us is around 600V. Our ammeters are all "clamp-on". I live in a world where a 20A fuse might as well be jewelry like a shiny little earring. :D

My 45 year old eyes NEED the magnifying glass. The RX board is 1.75" x 2" and it's size was dictated by the Serpac A-20 enclosure (it was nice to have all that room) and the fact that it is not an airborne component. The TX measures .625" x 1.25" and is the same size as other commercial products aimed at the same marketplace (v-Tail mixer for example at www.veetail.com).

Size is, of course, relative and I'm amazed at the SMT work I see around on this board. It is not something I am able to adopt however. You'll have all the artwork when "round one" is over so if you want to retool over to SMT, you can with relative ease.

Jeff

Edited by jparisse