Audio track as modem data NMEA

on the RX side size and weight is no problem at all,

in the plane I like to save size and weight on stuff,

but a few grams more or less dont matter not even on small planes.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see how much places would charge to get the modem and osd put together by little asian girls and big machines.

SMD would probably make the TX 1cmx1.5cm haha. Might get lost if we make it that small =\

DZL Modem Beta Kit Options

Six Kits Available – Beta Testers first then others…

The DZL Modem is a pair of small electronic circuits that allows a small aircraft, equipped with GPS to easily send 4800-baud GPS serial data to a ground station using the audio channel of common video transmitters. A small modulator (DZLTX1) takes TTL level GPS serial data and converts it to an audio tone that is transmitted over the audio channel of one’s video transmitter. The ground-based demodulator (DZLRX1) connects to the audio output of a video receiver and provides serial output that can be used to drive moving map software such as Google Earth Plus.

Two professionally made circuit boards are included; one for the airborne modulator and one for the ground based demodulator, as are all the parts to make a working modem (note: the beta PCBs do not have a printed silk screen layer to save cost). This is an experimental beta project provided by hobbyists to hobbyists. There are no guarantees or warrantees.

Basic TTL Kit - $45.00

Contains: All Parts for DZL TX and RX

This is a kit and requires assembly.

TTL Kit w/ Enclosure - $55.00

Contains: All Parts for DZL TX and RX with ABS Enclosure

This is a kit and requires assembly.

TTL Modem Fully Assembled and Tested - $80.00

Contains: DZL TX and RX in ABS Enclosure

Send PayPal funds to jparisse[AT]teslacoil.com and please add $10.00 for International Air Mail postage if outside the U.S.A.. Please indicate which Beta Kit Option you are choosing and include your complete address. I have included a few optional components to include the suggestions made by Thomas (input cap on regulator and reverse polarity protection) and allow you to easily experiment with a filter cap on the TX. By the time the kits are in everyone’s hands, I will have a web site up that has assembly and use instructions.

Thanks for everyone’s help and input especially DZL for writing the code and Thomas for asking him to write the code! Let the fun begin!

Jeff W. Parisse (workshop)

jparisse[AT]teslacoil.com

post-6-1178341763_thumb.jpg

Mark wrote: "Postage should be no more than $5 to Australia via USPS airmail btw"

I used the USPS postage rate finder on the web and I couldn't get the price below $17 to Perth so I'm shipping at a loss*. Can you send a link on how to find a better rate?

To All,

Yes, once the Beta testers have confirmed their orders, either Mark Harris or I (or perhaps both) will offer the kit for sale to the general public. The consumer price will be slightly higher than the Beta Testing price but the kit form will help make this affordable to everyone. If any Beta tested back out, I will offer remaining beta kits on a first come, first served basis.

Jeff

· I'm taking a loss on the entire Beta project but this is a labor of passion because I believe that every AP flyer should incorporate moving map software for utility, safety and aircraft recovery. This is a hobby project for me and I want to share with my peers.

If any Beta tested back out, I will offer remaining beta kits on a first come, first served basis.

Jeff

· I'm taking a loss on the entire Beta project but this is a labor of passion because I believe that every AP flyer should incorporate moving map software for utility, safety and aircraft recovery. This is a hobby project for me and I want to share with my peers.

if any beta testers back out i would wanna take their place i can send payment anytime. the only thing is that i would prefer the assembled version . thank you

If any Beta tested back out, I will offer remaining beta kits on a first come, first served basis.

Jeff

if any beta testers back out i would wanna take their place i can send payment anytime. the only thing is that i would prefer the assembled version . thank you

OK Guys, the first batch of Beta DZL Modems has shipped to Hartwig, Wavess and qnzkrew via airmail. International postage cost $6.33 and domestic was less than $2.00. So, the new shipping terms will be $7.00 International and $2.00 U.S..

The TX has standard .1” pin headers for Power and GPS in. One can use a JST, servo or other connector that has.1” pin spacing. The output is a shielded cable terminated with an RCA phono plug. There is a jumper to select inverted or non-inverted output and I’ve left a space for a filter cap should one determine if a filter cap is necessary (one of the primary objectives of the Beta program is to compare interface issues with the TX and our various brands/models of video transmitters).

Also included in the kits are a 1N4004 diode and .1uf capacitor to add to the RX per Thomas’ suggestions a few posts ago as well as a .1uf filter cap with which to experiment (my unit works fine without one).

There are three more kits available on a first come basis. $45 w/o case, $55 w/case and $80 assembled. Send a payment via Paypal to jparisse[AT]teslacoil.com after checking this thread first (I will post here when the three units are gone).

Much thank to Hartwig and Wavess for overpaying on shipping. I spent the extra money at Starbucks… ;-) qnzkrew gets a partial refund (after coffee of course)!

Jeff

post-6-1178841164_thumb.jpg

The free Google Eatch with a separate program that reads the GPS and automatically updates a location file each second... as Google earth can then read that one automatically each second too, no need to buy the plus version :P

Don't have the name of the program in mind now, but a quick search should do it.

That program is called DGEarthTracker, you will find it here: www.dgadv.com

It requires the VTG and GLL NMEA commands from the GPS receiver. On the EM-4xx receivers those seem to be disabled by default, so you have to enable them by sending the following strings to the EM4xx:

$PSRF103,05,00,01,01*20 (enable VTG)

$PSRF103,01,00,01,01*24 (enable GLL)

And it works great! I got GoogleEarthPlus as well and I definitely prefer EarthTracker, because you can configure more parameters and it works seemless.

However, it's shareware, but only $10 once. And it's definitely worth it.

Cheers,

Hartwig