Sign in to follow this  
EPMatt

GP Patch antenna for 434MHZ - Will it work?

I would like to build the GP patch antenna as detailed in the projects section - but for operation on 434MHZ. If I apply the dimension rescaling formula for 434MHZ, it will be considerably larger.

My question is though - Do you think it will work, or is it a design only for microwave frequencies?

Thanks.

Matt

UK

It's going to be BIG. :)

Choose the materials wisely -- thin roofing tin is too flimsy to hold the shape of the larger area.

Sounds about right, the resonator bit in the middle will be about a foot square I think. Just do the maths and see. I would probably make it from 2mm aluminium sheet or simular. Let us know how you get on, it will be interesting to hear how well it works, what is the application ?

Terry

Terry,

The application is for directional RF tracking. I will be using it to receive, direction find, and track a unit emitting a radio beacon on 434mhz. The patch will be connected to a scanner receiver and will either end up mounted on a vehicle or carried around on foot - have to see how it pans out.

Do you think that this antenna will have enough directional performance and gain for my desired application? I was looking at this as an alternative to a Yagi antenna.

Matt.

Do you think that this antenna will have enough directional performance and gain for my desired application? I was looking at this as an alternative to a Yagi antenna.

A directional Yagi would get my vote for your app.

I do not think the patch will have the directivity performance you need. It works great with model video because the beamwidth is sufficiently wide.

I vote for a high gain directional Yagi. Just my simple minded opinion. Of course it might work great for you. Since it is easy to build, try it and please report back.

It will work but is not 'pointy enough' really. At that frequency I would vote for the yagi too, sorry.

Terry

I just noticed both MR RC-CAM and myself said the same and posted at the same time too. If I had waited a minute I could of saved my self the effort.. I look forward to your report Matt.

Terry

for that application a pacth antenna is useless..

a hb9cv antenna for 434Mhz is super easy and cheap to construct,

and will do exactly what you need !

http://www.qsl.net/dk7zb/HB9CV/Details-HB9CV.htm

or what a about a 3 to 5 element yagi

http://www.i1wqrlinkradio.com/antype/ch16/...6/chiave734.htm

see here for much more:

http://www.i1wqrlinkradio.com/