Anybody try having 2 cameras of the same type mounted a distance apart that match a average humans eye spacing. Then using dual 2.4 Ghz tx/rx setups feed the two signals into each lcd of the goggels. Should pickup the deep perception. I might give it a shot later on. Wanted to get feed back and ides from the experts.

thanks all

P.S. also focus the cameras at a slight angle towards a focus point about 30 feet in front of the aircraft.

Edited by clr2cont

The problem with this is that the human eyes are able to move to focus for depth perception... it might work out but it could end up very disorienting.

I've tried doing this all cabled up, but it ended up making me feel a bit queasy hehe. Not sure how it would work in the air though, could end up quite different if you focus the cameras to a point far enough away.

After quite a bit of playing about i think you could get it right for flying around, but when you come into land it could end up a bit strange.

Anybody try having 2 cameras of the same type mounted a distance apart that match a average humans eye spacing.

It has been done with a camera on each wing tip by some guys that were on this forum. If you do a search for 3d or something like that you may find the posts or it may even be on the old RC-CAM forum.

Terry

The problem with this is that the human eyes are able to move to focus for depth perception... it might work out but it could end up very disorienting.

I've tried doing this all cabled up, but it ended up making me feel a bit queasy hehe. Not sure how it would work in the air though, could end up quite different if you focus the cameras to a point far enough away.

After quite a bit of playing about i think you could get it right for flying around, but when you come into land it could end up a bit strange.

I agree... Without having a way to easily change the focal distance, I'm not sure that a moving application would turn out as you hope. I know it works well for one focal object a few meters away, but something where you are looking around at different distances ... could be hairy.

I'd say, find a way to strap a ranging device on it that could update fast enough to 'refocus' the cameras at a certain distance.

The problem is getting a ranging device that is able to focus at distances we are talking about with FPV. 30m is about the max of most ultrasonic/infrared.

And the depth of field of our cameras doesn't really allow that. Infinity is starting at 50cm... would need to change the optics too, and getting a short depth of field with a wide angle is hard...

if the two cams are not pointing EXACTLY in the right dirrection,

and the google screens are not perfectly centrered and rotated perfectly !

if will feel like your eyes are crossed= bad.

better just use only one cam pointing straight out, and one straight down,

and use a video switch so you can check out the ground distance,

and get good pictures from the ground while flying straight.

Anybody try having 2 cameras of the same type mounted a distance apart that match a average humans eye spacing.

Yes but not gone wireless yet, it's been moved down on my to-do list below "learning to program a Coldfire processor" (eep!).

I recently got some 800x600 res LCD glasses that has dual composite & VGA inputs so I can plug two cameras in at the same time, I have some identical cameras and tested stereoscopic vision with them, the result is actually pretty good but getting the cameras perfectly aligned was difficult, if they're out just a fraction then it's more difficult to get your eyes to 'merge' the images when looking through the LCD glasses, at least that was my experience.

Hi Haku,

Could you tell me what is the reference of the glasses you got with 2 VGA and composite video?

Personaly, I just got a stereo glasses GVD-510 3D and we made the first flight with these glasses lastSaturday ( but in 2D) It was very good flight for the first experience !

I'm using the 3D capabilty for the game ( and for my sun) after 15 minutes I was really in the game ! but sick !

I knew those little paper bag I took from the back seat of a Boeing 747 would come in handy! :lol:

Edited by JMS

Yb2normal and I had experimented with this about 2 years ago and the initial results seemed very exciting. We never got to fly it due to weather and some of the equipment was on loan and had to be returned. None the less, I am very interested in continuing the experiment. I hope to put some testing together in the next 2 months and I will post the project and results as I go.

T.I.

-AT-Temporary Insanity:

How do you transfer the 2 signals seperately? Did you use 2 seperate transmitters, or a field sequential encoder?

Sequential encoding is intriguing but I think it would return too few frames per eye to produce a quality experience. In addition, the cameras would have to be synced together. The brute force approach (twin cameras, transmitters, receivers and a monitor for each eye) seems the easy way, if not the cheapest way to success.

T.I.

PS. I will be returning to this experiment soon enough. I also have some video editing software that I believe can render 2 images side by side for viewing. We'll just have to cross our eyes to watch it. 8>)

I can see that it made you dizzy. :D

What I meant was if sequential encoding is used, then each eye would be subjected to 15 frames per second, alternately. My hunch is that flicker might be a problem. What do you think?

Best,

T.I.

Well, should try and find some sequential video sample to watch... but yeah I guess so. And 12.5 for PAL... :wacko:

If you can sequentially encode using fields instead of frames you'll get 29.97fps for NTSC & 25fps for PAL. With traditional single camera setups which output interlaced video you get 59.94fps for NTSC & 50fps for PAL.

The I-Visor goggles I have can't display video a the full 59.94fps or 50fps because of how it achieves a colour image, they obviously couldn't get the LCDs & backlight LEDs to cycle through the red/green/blue elements of the picture fast enough, so they'll only display video at 29.97fps & 25fps. Which is a shame because full interlaced video framerate is so much more desirable for FPV.

Edited by Haku