yb2normal

Programming smd PIC

I am slowly learning about the joys of SMD, and with the recent purchase of a hot air soldering iron, I want to jump into the SMD size PIC's.

My problem is that I have a cheap programmer that takes DIP packages.

How do you guys program your SMD PIC's?

I found part number PA8SO1-03-3 at Digikey, but it seems expensive for what you are getting.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by yb2normal

The website says the PA8SO1-03-3 is for 0.15", but both units claim they can take the 12x pics.

I'm not sure what the 0.15" and 0.21" refer too, if they both seem able to hold the same chip?

Thanks,

Bill

No, they are different sized SMT parts. The adapter is not the same. I use the .210 body since my eyes are going south. The smaller .150 part is fine if your eyesight is good (it is a perfect choice for machine stuffing).

You will need to match the adapter to the IC package size you want to use. Or, splurge and buy them both.

I have found a nice idea on some homepage .... using PLCC socket. I have removed PLCC 32 SMT socket form a PCB, cut it into 4 peices (2x7pin and 2x9pin) , and use two peices of 9pin to make 18pin SMT adaptor. It fitted 16F84A SMT ( maybe 0.21 pitch ? ).

I have found a nice idea on some homepage .... using PLCC socket. I have removed PLCC 32 SMT socket form a PCB, cut it into 4 peices (2x7pin and 2x9pin) , and use two peices of 9pin to make 18pin SMT adaptor. It fitted 16F84A SMT ( maybe 0.21 pitch ? ).

Something like digikey part 923650-08-ND or Mouser Part # 517-923650081 is some thing that works well and is not too much $$$. They have other sizes for other pin counts also.