SHOCHU00

BATTERY POWER

DEAR MEMBERS,

MY UAV PROJECT USES A 12V CCD "LIPSTICK" TYPE CAMERA, A 12V 2.4 GIG VIDEO TX, AND A 6V GARMIN ETREX GPS. WHAT IS THE LIGHTEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE MEANS BY WHICH I COULD POWER THIS SYSTEM? THAT IS, WITHOUT USING SEPARATE POWER SUPPLIES. IN ADDITION, WHAT SORT OF MILLIWATTAGE AM I LOOKING AT TO OPERATE THIS SYSTEM FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR?

BEST WISHES TO ALL,

BERNARD

It is difficult to determine without knowing the specifications of each device, as the current consumption for all those devices together could range from 200ma-500ma @ 12v. Also note the garmin etrex is not a 6 volt device, I believe the specified voltage is 3.15 +/- 0.15 and you can use a 3.0v 100ma regulator for this.

For a battery you could use 10-12 AAA nimh cells or 4 lithium cells (with a regulator), but if your plane already uses a lower voltage pack, then you may want go with the low voltage pack and step-up the voltage with a DC-DC converter like the power trends pt5041.

Regards,

John

Bernard,

You can get the dc-dc converters from digi-key.com As for the gps, I remember that I'm using a 150ma 3.0v regulator on my Etrex, but the thermal dissipation of the TO-92 case regulators may be insufficient for battery voltages over 7 volts, so you might consider a bigger TO-220. It works fine even with the backlight on.

John

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION. YESTERDAY WHILE SURFING THE WEB , I FOUND A GUY WHO IS USING A PRINTER MOTOR AS A GENERATOR TO POWER THE ELECTRONICS ON HIS UAV. THE ELECTRIC MOTOR IS CONNECTED TO THE PROPSHAFT BY A PAIR IF GEARS. ACORDING TO THIS GUY HE CAN GET 40WATTS NO LOAD! I WILL INVESTIGATE THIS MORE!

HAPPY NEW YEAR,

BERNARD