Sign in to follow this  
Beomagi

camera and transmitter on 9v?

Getting into RC's and wanted to get a little camera for the truck, so I started looking for forums, and sites that sell. At first, I was thinking "aw cool! a complete kit for $50!" then I saw some videos on youtube and realized cheap stuff appears to suffer heavily from emi, and also looks blurry/overbright/dark. Once again in a hobby I'm noticing a "if you want something done right, build it yourself" trend...

So looking around some more, I figured (correct me if i'm wrong)

pinholes suck, lenses rock

ccd > cmos (known from previous years of cameras like my old 0.3MP olympus cmos!)

low lux > high lux for dark areas (but does that mean the opposite for bright?

more lines of resolution, the better (but is the signal equivalent to the resolution of the ccd, or is there interpolation as in an upscaled image?)

Came across this forum (oh my, a hobby within a hobby!) and saw what I guess confirms the above (correct if wrong), and I see that the kx 131 is regarded as a very good camera for the price. I know it's more than double the cost of the other smaller no lens, cmos cameras, but I doubt the image quality on those is even acceptable (any device to disprove woudl be greatly appreciated by my wallet!)

Looking at this here

http://www.rangevideo.com/131_cased.html

Is rangevideo safe to buy from?

Plan to use this, with a fair transmitter, and decent receiver eventually but I figure I can in the meantime play with this using the video in on my tv cards.

Eventually this will find it's way onto my truck (and quite possibly flying rc's) with a 100 or 200mA transmitter.

I'd like to use a 9v on the setup - is that possible? I know the camera says 5v or 12v, but with one of these would a 9v (8.4) be usable? Or is it unnecessary as the 12v is already regulated to 5v? how does this impact drain? i.e. Would my 300mAh 9v waste half it's energy?

are there any 100/200mA transmitters using 5-9v?

any recommendation on a transmitter that would be able to handle emi from the rc device it's on well enough?

I guess I'm asking the wrong questions and leaving a book to read is daunting.

I'm looking for

1 - micro wireless camera

2 - I have no lipo, nor to i know of convenient small 12v sources (edjumacate me if there are!)

3 - would an x10 with their battery pack work?

4 - is there a better quality option for less or equal (I have a couple 300mAh 9v's so I can use camera's like the boostervision minigear cam, or there's another from raiden tech. So that power source costs me nothing.)

5 - important to me in decreasing order - camera quality, protection from electronics' EM interference, range, ease of assembly.

Edited by Beomagi

Hi Beomagi, you are not showing your location, where do you live ?

Terry

OK I won't send you to UK sites then :)

1 - micro wireless camera

What do you call micro ? Any of the smaller transmitters tend to have the camera built in so you don't get much choice.

2 - I have no lipo, nor to i know of convenient small 12v sources (edjumacate me if there are!)

A 3 cell LiPo is the best 12v supply but for low power a 9v battery is ok for some transmitters.

3 - would an x10 with their battery pack work?

I know nothing about them.

4 - is there a better quality option for less or equal (I have a couple 300mAh 9v's so I can use camera's like the boostervision minigear cam, or there's another from raiden tech. So that power source costs me nothing.)

The boostervision system seems quite good for a low power set up.

5 - important to me in decreasing order - camera quality, protection from electronics' EM interference, range, ease of assembly.

It's hard to quantify you list but what range do you need ?

Terry

Edited by Terry

Well I don't have a plane (yet - it's in the consideration phase) - I'm looking at say, 100m for now (ground/open)

Thanks for the replies ;)

oh yeah - colour cam of course, don't really care much for audio.

Edited by Beomagi

Sounds like the boostervision system or similar is your best bet.

Terry

Edited by Terry

Thanks Terry. Just have to find out now if I can order that setup using the better camera. Been watching some videos off rangevideo.com and they're BEAUTIFUL.

Edited by Beomagi