doug2171

Attaching a wide angle lens to a pinhole spy cam

I purchased a mini wireless color video camera to install on a radio-controlled helicopter. The camera is about as big as a quarter in size. I subsequently purchased a wide-angle lens to replace the lens on this camera. I unscrewed the original pinhole lens and, to my pleasant surprise, the threads on the wide-angle lens matched and it screwed on nicely. However, I discovered that in order to focus, I had to unscrew the wide-angle lens to the point where it hardly has any threads holding it on. Is there such a thing as a lens length extender? Or should I maybe just use some electical tape to secure it? Any ideas?

post-5-1173747355_thumb.jpg

Edited by doug2171

Most cameras that come with a pinhole lens won't have a long enough thread to accomodate a board type lens. Try opening the case and putting something between the 2 case parts to lengthen it.

Thanks Kilrah, that's a great idea.

Wallaguest, what on earth is your reply about? How much time did you spend posting that picture? Just how is it supposed to answer my question? I don't see any relevancy at all. In the future, you would be wise to answer questions for which you have an answer. If you want to make smart-ass commentaries, get a blog!

I believe Wallaguest's post shows a picture of a pinhole camera like

yours with a wide angle lens on it.

The link shows the lens he is using.

He meant this lens should work on your camera.

The link describes a "fish eye" lens but is really

more of a standard lens.

Probably why it fits.

It may still be an improvement though not exactly what you

were looking for.

-Dave

Edited by Blue Sky

If the new lens does engage a _bit_ of thread, you could try this: lightly grease the thread on the lens barrel with a _very_ thin layer of vaseline (petroleum jelly if you're in the US) e.g. put a bit of vaseline on tissue, wipe most of it off, then rub around the thread with the tissue. Then screw it in to focus, then put a few small blobs of epoxy over the join between the camera body and the lens, evenly spaced - if you're very dextrous, you could join these up to make a 'collar'. With luck, once the epoxy is dry, you'll be able to rotate the lens in its new, extended epoxy 'collar'. You may need to initially get it rotating with a pair of pliers!

(NB. I offer no guarantees except that if you don't get a thin layer of epoxy on the thread, you'll just glue things up solid! Painful experience...)

Thanks again for all the great ideas... esp. Doofer's epoxy thread idea.

I apologize to wallaguest for misunderstanding his suggestion. I didn't see the link at the top of your post. Thanks for the suggestion/example.

Do a search on e-bay for cellphone lenses, ive seen some 2X and .5 wide small lense adapters that are made of metal and have real glass lenses. They also have some cheap plastic knock off adapters that have little effects. Like diamond or multi image adapters. The good ones have these magnetic stick on rings.

That camera and picture isn´t wallaguest1´s . They belong to one of our forum´s member. He was asked by this user about the behavior of this camera, and the real owner replied that it work bad outdoors with sunlight.

So Wallaguest1, which game are you playing? Trying to confuse people like in our forum? :angry:

Actually I didn't want to chime in, but now I must say that from my point of view there might be some misunderstanding regarding wallaguest's reply.

I guess wallaguest posted this picture to show that it's possible to mount this type of lens to this specific camera, while from my experience, the lenses of this type differ in the position of their thread.

The camera looks very similar to one that I have, and mine is a CMOS type. So that would explain the problems regarding exposure-changes. A CMOS camera will not perform as well as a CCD type when pointed into sunlight and then back to darker places. It needs about 4-5 seconds to accommodate. A CCD camera needs just about 1 second. So that's by design :rolleyes:

Since doug2171's initial question was about the suitability of the lens (as far as I understood), wallaguest's reply was a picture that shows this camera with the different lens mounted for action.

just my 2cents :)

Edited by Hartwig

Most cameras that come with a pinhole lens won't have a long enough thread to accomodate a board type lens. Try opening the case and putting something between the 2 case parts to lengthen it.

Good suggestion!

I apologise for the DECADE old thread bump, but this is EXACTLY what I'm trying to achieve with my current project. I have a tiny HD camera with a narrow FOV pinhole lens. I'd like to replace it with a wide angle lens.

I'm having trouble finding a HD camera that is small and light enough to mount to a micro drone, hence why I have to perform a lens swap on this camera. It weighs less than 4 grams once de cased. If anyone knows of a great micro HD camera I'd love to hear it :)

Here's a video captured with my current HD micro drone with the narrow FOV.

HD micro drone cam.jpg

HD micro drone.jpg

hd cam.jpg