Sign in to follow this  
oxxyfx

Question about Black Box RPM sensor

Hello,

I installed the BlackBox from www.act-labs.com on my Northstar. The RPM readout works till about 6000 RPM, then it quits - it goes back to 0.

Any of you played around with this device? Could it be that the sensor is about 1.5" away from the propeller - and cannot have a proper reading?

Tha manual reccomends not less than 1/2" from the propeller, but it doesn't state how far it could be. My hand RPM reader works from about 5-6 inches as well...

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you,

Ox.

It's indeed pretty picky, and needs quite a bit of light to work well. Depending on the conditions it will work better in certain orientations of the aircraft. It shouldn't be too far either or it won't be able to see the difference between prop and no prop in front. I'd say no more than 1".

If I cut the sunshade shorter would that make any difference? I perhaps can still move it a little closer, However the cables and the back are already glued in with hot glue.

Remember that what matters is the contrast, i.e amount of light that will get to the sensor when it's open vs what will pass when the prop is in front. If you cut it shorter, make sure the angle a ray of sun could enter from isn't too wide.