Sign in to follow this  
doug2171

Charging a lithium ion battery for the 1st time

I recently purchased a lithium ion battery with an AC adapter for charging. I purchased to power a tiny video monitor.

I tried charging the battery for 1 hour, 3 hours, 4-5 hours respectively, but it doesn't seem to work.

Battery output: 12 8-10 8VDC 1800mAh

Battery input: 12 8VDC

AC adapter output: 12VDC 200mA

Should I assume the battery is defective or do I need to charge it for a much longer time period?

:blink:

The posted specs are a bit confusing. What exactly did you purchase? Do you have a link?

Generally speaking, a 1800mAH pack that is charged at 200mA will take at least 10 hours to fully charge. For sure, the charger's status lights will tell you when it is done charging. But you should have seen some success after the five hour charge. Keep in mind that if the the Lithium pack does not have protection circuitry in it, it will be destroyed if it is incorrectly charged or over-discharged.

Yes, what I would worry about most is what "AC adapter" you bought to charge it. If it's not a designed li-po charger you'd better not use it unless you like fireworks...

I bought it through Ebay. I realize this isn't the ideal way to purchase something like this... anyway to clear up confusion about what I was trying to describe, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...74046&rd=1&rd=1

I'll try charging it for 10 hours... since it does at least have short circuit protection. But it only has one light - red, to indicate power, but nothing to indicate charge complete.

Sorry, I realize I'm a completely green novice... I'm just trying to have some fun adding a video cam to my helicopter and trying to use this battery to power a small video monitor. Here's the link for the monitor. The battery is supposed to be able to power this monitor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...64544&rd=1&rd=1

Does this clear things up? Should this work? Should I try charging for 10 hours or more? So far, when I plug the battery into the monitor after charging for 1, 3, and 5 hours... nothing happens. The monitor doesn't seem to even try to light up. (The monitor works fine with it's AC adapter though).

My goal is just to be able to go out into the field with my video equipped helicopter and battery powered receiver and tiny monitor.

Thanks again!

Should I try charging for 10 hours or more? So far, when I plug the battery into the monitor after charging for 1, 3, and 5 hours... nothing happens.
After a 5 hour charge, you should expect at least one hour of operation with what you have. So, something is definitely wrong.

Beyond suspecting a bad pack, here are two things to check:

(1) Polarity of the DC battery plug versus polarity of the input of the Monitor. Are they compatible? That is to say, are they both equipped with positive (+) center pins?

(2) Size of the DC plug's center pin. If the jack side is a 2.5mm diameter and the pin side is a 2.1mm, then electrical contact will not be made.

Lastly, a voltmeter will tell you a lot about what is going on. It's probably time to pull it out and troubleshoot.

If you have an "ac adapter" to charge that with, you will ruin the battery. A 10 Hour charge is only for a discharged battery. If you have it half full, and charge it 10 hours, you will ruin the battery. Same with running it down, you will never know where it is without measuring the voltage.

Bottom line, you are faced with an impossible situation if that battery does not have protection circuitry built in. You either need that are a voltage sensing charger. If you dont have one of those that battery will go bad very quickly and possibly catch fire.

JetPilot

As he bought the battery and charger as a set it should be designed to work together, so the charger should charge the battery correctly.

As he bought the battery and charger as a set it should be designed to work together, so the charger should charge the battery correctly.

You are making a really bad assumption Kilrah, buying a cheap setup like that on ebay, they dont care if it last a day or a week. I would not assume that his battery or charger has any automatic functions.

JetPilot

Doug, maybe you can monitor the voltage of you battery when on charge or at least check it's voltage before and after charging. That will give us some idea if it's being charged.

Terry