heliguy

Mustek Mini 3 Cam Problem

I modified the mini 3 per the instructions posted. although the mod did not specify which Capacitor to use, I used the same one from the pencam project a .1uF 50v I purchased from radio shack.

Here is what is going on. When I press the shutter button the LCD goes blank and it doesb't take a picture. I disconnected the pic a tested the camera, it still worked. Then I reconnected the pic but still the same problem. Could this be a problem in the pic? It seemed to program fine. I programmed it with a home built pic programmer.

A picture of my mod is attached.

Thanks for any help you may be a ble to provide.

post-7-1073238192_thumb.jpg

Did you use the correct Hex file? There is one for the PenCam and one for the GSmart.

The cap is fine. I prefer the smaller mono-ceramic type, as used in the PenCam project (ref Digi-Key part number).

I made error when I glued the pic down. Everything was hooked up wrong. I programmed a new pic(just in case)then reattached everything. the camera works normally. It won't take a picture via the radio. I double checked that the GS version of the hex file was used.

I set up the radio (Futaba 9CAP) to use a dedicated channel. I tested that setup with a servo first then hooked up the camera.

I used the IC-prog software to program the chip. I did not find an option for "Memory: Protected", there is a fuse CP (Code Protection enabled) is this the same thing? Will it make a difference? I selectd the Oscillator:IntRC, the programmer came up that there isn't a value set for this.

Maybe the pic wasn't programmed properly? In the pic program circuit I used a slightly different transistor, I could not find the one specified. the one I used has very similar properties as the one specified, The Emmitter to base voltage was the same.

Any thoughts?

Everything was hooked up wrong.

Ahh, I see that the PIC is upside down in the photo. That would make a difference.

I did not find an option for "Memory: Protected", there is a fuse CP (Code Protection enabled) is this the same thing?

Same thing.

I selectd the Oscillator:IntRC, the programmer came up that there isn't a value set for this.

The PIC will not work unless the IntRC fuse is set. I do not know what it means if the programmer said "there isn't a value set for this." You will need to ensure that it sets this config fuse and is written to the PIC. Otherwise the PIC will NOT work.

Maybe the PIC wasn't programmed properly?

To see if your programmer works, program another chip. But, this time disable the Code Protection fuse. Then try to verify the chip. With the code protection disabled (turned off) the PIC should pass the verify cycle. If it fails then the programmer is defective.

does it have to be connected to LPT1? or can it be connected to the serial provided the correct pins are used?

pins 2,4,5,7,20 (on a 25 pin) = pins 3,7,8,5,4 (on a 9 pin)

Your PIC programmer's manual will tell which PC port must be used. Most of the low cost programmers use the LPT port. You cannot freely choose between LPT or Serial-RS232, so check the manual to be sure. If in doubt, ask the vendor.