Sign in to follow this  
nchris

R/C Minicam... Over GPIO?

I am looking at integrating video into a UAV I am building. There are several cameras that catch my interest, especially the KX131 along with pretty much anything on http://oemcameras.com . These cameras output over composite video.

For my application, I want to process the video signal on board the UAV. I can't find any information about reading composite video signals over GPIO or what have you. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this? Are there similar cameras that output a raw signal?

composite to digital format can be done using frame grabbers,

they exist in USB and firewire types, quite small and cheap.

but then you need a PC to process the data, but that is also possible today using small outline boards.

If your project need lower resulution, but raw digital pictures,

go for a small can from a cam phone, they are in 5/10 bits RGB

and can be scanned manually by even small microntrollers,

but you need RAM !! and plenty of it to store even one frame.

exactly what is it you think of achiving ?

and how ? and to what usage ?

I've been researching this for most of today and have found the best option to either be the C3088 camera or the one listed here: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=637 .

I am dealing with 16MB of RAM, so I should be fine there.

Do I need any additional hardware to interface with a camera such as the one linked above from Spark Fun? i.e. a dedicated crystal to supply the clock signal

My immediate goal is to capture and transmit the video over the wireless card I have onboard the UAV. Ultimately I hope to process the imagery and use it for autonomous navigation.

If you look at the sample projects on the bottom of the sparkfun page you'll see how different people are using them.

If your going to send video over wireless you had better have an awful lot of bandwidth.

Image processing is incredibly processor intensive, your going to need something with a lot of grunt! Image processing for navigation sounds very difficult with changing light levels as the plane goes from looking at the sky to ground or even just turning. Doing this in an embeded environment is going to be even harder. If you do attempt it though i wish you the best of luck!

>Ultimately I hope to process the imagery and use it for autonomous navigation.

that is what GPS was invented for !

image recognition is HARDCORE, specially landscapes and to find your way using that way will give you 1000 problems