Hi all,

I was about to order a Thunder Power 2-cell 730mah lipo (TP730-2SPL) battery to test for powering my downlink system and camera (Canon A640). However, the battery does not have a "balancing lead".

Newb "Question of the Day" - How do i balance the 2-cell without balancing lead, or is there no need to balance a 2-cell? I ask this question because I previously had a 2-cell lipo with a balancing lead.

Thanks - Lachlan

How do i balance the 2-cell without balancing lead

There is no good way to do this with no lead, I would add one.

or is there no need to balance a 2-cell?

This depends on many things, you may well not need to balance them but I would reccomend balancing to be safe.

At the end of the day it up to you, I have had batteries last years with no balancing but in the end after one failed I now balance them all, never had a problem since.

Terry

Thanks for the input Terry. Since I no knowledge with respect to opening lipos and soldering in balancing leads, should I just order small 2-cell lipos with balancing leads from another company? If so, do you happen to have a link to share?

I would like to gradually take a crack at building my own lipos, but for now I had best stick with the mainstream prebuilds.

Edited by qb7

Lithium are special battery, normally peoples don`t build them.

I had one 2cell battery that had failed because I had no way to balance it. Buy a battery with balancing connector. 2cell battery with no balancing connector are probably form older stock, almost every lipo have balance connector (I think)

If your not sure about soldering then I would just use them as they are. If you treat them well I'm sure you will get your moneies worth from them. Most come with balance leads these days, I don't use a particular supplier. Are you in the UK ?

Terry

Vrflyer - What I meant by building is buying individual cells and buiding packs. Ya....I assumed all lipos no matter what there size would have balancer leads. The response I received from Thunder Power: "Our two cell batteries don't come with a balancer lead because it adds weight. They are used as an ultra light battery for light aircraft."

Terry - Although currently based in the Middle East, I typically order from US via the internet. Maxamps actuall has a 2-cells (430mah and 860; nothing inbetween). I guess I will try their Lipo 860mah 2S2P 7.4V Pack, but at 51 grams. Unless there is another decent US based source.

Vrflyer - What I meant by building is buying individual cells and buiding packs. Ya....I assumed all lipos no matter what there size would have balancer leads.

if you buy individual cell, these one will not come with balancer lead, the balancer lead is in fact one lead plug to + and one lead plug to -, so for one cell battery, the power connector will be use to balance the cell. But when you buy 2 or more cell battery, they will add a balancing connector. ex: for a two cell battery, the balancing connector will have one lead to -, one lead between the two cell and one lead to +.. the balancing connector have three lead.

A balancing connector for three cell will have 4 wire.

So if you made your battery, you will add your balancing connector like I describe.

You can buy at low cosr balancing connector here

http://aircraft-world.com/shopdisplayprodu...+and+CONNECTORS

Edited by Vrflyer

Appreciate the information regarding cells and balancing leads. I will definately do my research before attempting my own. And, thanks for the link; good one! ;)

I don't care about balancing when the batteries are used to power low current draw auxiliary stuff like cameras, receivers etc, and have battereies that are 2 years old and still work well as is. But I prefer balancing flight batteries. You get better performance out of them and longer lifetimes in addition to the higher safety.

Edited by Kilrah

I don't care about balancing when the batteries are used to power low current draw auxiliary stuff like cameras, receivers etc, and have battereies that are 2 years old and still work well as is. But I prefer balancing flight batteries. You get better performance out of them and longer lifetimes in addition to the higher safety.

Now that is good to hear. At the nominal cost of the 2-cell lipos nowadays, I would not be too concerned either if balancing them is not a major concern. Just dont need an extreme unbalanced batt to go tits-up on me mid-flight! :D Thanks for the heads up.