qb7

AP LCD Monitors - What ya got?

Hi all,

I am in the processe of picking out a good high resolution monitor for AP preview. I am hoping the "AP Pros" could chime in and let us "Newbs" know what has worked for them. I kind of have my sights on this 7" monitor Newison NW629VT, which I plan to attach to a tx tray. (By the way, I belleve Newison monitors are out of the same factory in China as the Lilliput monitors). Here are a few of the NW629VT specs:

Dot Resolution (RGB): 800(H) x (RGB) x 480(V) = 1,152,000 (dots)

Aspect Ratio: 15:9

Contrast: 200:1

LCD Brightness: 400 cd/m2

Viewing Angle: 45/60(U/D), 65/65(L/R)

Operating Voltage: DC 12V

Power Consumption: <9W

Weight (kg): 0.44

The only major issue I have is that I do not want the monitor to "stretch" the camera image on the screen, but maintain close to a normal 4:3 ratio. I am not sure if such a wide angle monitor will automatically perform a stretch or not. I would opt for the "V" model (not VT) without touchscreen.

Does anyone currently use this format type monitor? I know there are lots of different types and sizes on Ebay, etc;, but I would like to stick to one simliar to this 7".

As always, your input will be greatly appreciated! :D

post-5-1175452344_thumb.jpg

Edited by qb7

Finding a good LCD is about one of the hardest thing in the job. And when you find one, 1 month later it will be discontinued :angry:

Usually widescreen ones have an option to choose the aspect ratio, but the drawback is that when you switch to 4/3 you only get about 5" active diagonal :(

Yep...I've looked through mp3.com and the Xenarc monitors are quite popular, but somewhat more expensive than the Newison or Lilliputs. I'm looking at "best bang for the buck" type of deal.

I actually might just get an 8" LCD which are typically the standard 4:3 aspect ratio. As long as it is not too heavy for mounting. The monitor would be dedicated to AP, therefore widescreen is by no means a criteria or benefit (as far as I understand). As was pointed out by Kilrah, I would most likely end up with 5" diagonal when switching ratio on a widscreen (16:9) to standard (4:3).

The purpose for pursing a relatively large screen is due to anticipating the need for greater precision focusing in close proximity to particular subject matter. Therefore the additional need for relatively high resolution. I will update this thread with my purchase once I figure all the pros and cons.

Thanks all.