ThomasScherrer

Airwave 633 500mW heatsink or not ?

I am just now testing my first set of Airwave modules,

I think the 633 transmitter is really nice,

and a bit more efficient compared to my old 500mW module

that used 500mA at 5V = 2.5W

so 2 Watt are wasted in its heatsing.

the AWM633 use 600mA at 3.3V = 1.98W

so 1.48 watt is wasted in the pcb with no heatsink.

after a few minutes of bench testing, no wind, inside.

it can burn my fingers a bit, dont fill like it will kill the module.

but what is your experiance with the heat ?

anybody added a heatsink ? is it recommended some where ?

I've got mine mounted on a custom PCB that acts as a heatsink. It runs warm, but not alarmingly so.

Here is the Tx tin can side:

post-6-1175726141_thumb.jpg

ok great, nice board you have there,

I see the switchmode stepdown, good idea,

but what are all the other goodies on that board ?

airwave633tx-18.jpg

I have mounted my SMA directly on the module.

airwave633tx-21.jpg

and the channel switch and the two recommended capacitors on the module directly.

Edited by ThomasScherrer

but what are all the other goodies on that board ?

It's secrete stuff, of course. :) I won't tease you other than to say this Tx can do things that the popular commercial models cannot. Same for the companion Rx that goes with it. One day I'll talk about them.

Your version is definitely compact. If it was me, I would just bond it to a adequate piece of aluminum for heatsinking, and be done with it.

My head is spinning from watching you two heavy weights! I love seeing the advanced stuff you guys do..... yeah the word you used (Mr. RC-CAM) "tease". That's a good way of saying it! :)

Where did you guys find 633 modules ?

Edited by cyber-flyer

It's secrete stuff, of course. :) I won't tease you other than to say this Tx can do things that the popular commercial models cannot. Same for the companion Rx that goes with it. One day I'll talk about them.

Your version is definitely compact. If it was me, I would just bond it to a adequate piece of aluminum for heatsinking, and be done with it.

Mr. RC-CAM:

I'm not an electronic wiz, so I can say something dumb if I'm wrong. But does it say "Dual Audio Channel" on your set up? :blink:

Yes. The AWM633 Tx has two audio channels. The AWM633 can be used in apps that need to have Mic audio with data.

What's the difference in the various models? Power output?

RF analog AV modules

* Most popular models 2.4GHz AV stereo modules [AWM630TX + AWM634RX]

* To enhance the range there are high power 2.4GHz transmitter modules up to 500mW [AWM631TX-16dBm/AWM633TX-27dBm]. / Also, earlier model: AWM611T-20dBm in mono/AWM612T-27dBm in mono for security.

* To avoid multi-path fading we have 2.4GHz diversity receiver module [AWM635RX].

* For adjacent channel rejection, please consider our 2.4GHz receiver module [AWM625RX].

* In addition to AV transmission can send data link via left audio channel as well, 2.4GHz transmitter [AWM636TX].

& Our smallest RF module at 2.4GHz, TX dim.: 24 * 24 * 3.9 mm [AWM632TX-10dBm + AWM634RX].

& To skip from WLAN crowded freq. interference, choose our 5.8GHz RF AV modules [AWM680TX-12dBm + AWM680RX]. Or, higher power to get better range - model no. AWM681TX-20 dBm

& Long distance non-ISM band high power solution, we have 1.2GHz RF AV modules [AWM120TX-250mW+ AWM120RX] for police or military application.

The 630, 631, 633TX are 10mW, 40mW,and 500mW respectively. 632TX is minature 10mW. 634 is RX. 635 is diversity. 636 has data modem in built i believe. 680 are 5.8ghz. 120 are 1.2ghz :)

Good info Mark, thanks ;)

Mic audio with data B) I see.

Terry

Thanks Mark and Mr.RC-Cam! :lol:

So I still have a few more question.

1) I understand the dual audio for mic audio but what's the data part?

2) Is this relatively simple to build since I'm hooked on the DIY thing these days. I think about what to build all day... even while I'm working :o

Like tonight, I found a LM7805/capacitors in a pile of junk I was about to throw out & decided to design a very simple multiple voltage regulator. It's been 18 years since I played around with printed circuit boards (copper clad, developing solution and etching solution). Hey I'm in love with electronics again, but this time I understand it better thanks to you guys in this forum! :lol::lol:

1) Pretty much you send your audio from a mic down one audio channel, and data from a modem or similar down the other. Most people use this for telemetry or sending gps :)

2) Well you will need to solder on the wires and connectors, obtain the SMA connectors. You'll also need a 3.3v regulator for most of the TX modules that wont go up in smoke when having 600mA go through them (your linear regulator is going to be very very stressed with this).

Alternatively, if you can wait a few weeks, Thomas S and i should have some ready to go modules and switching power boards ready for sale...

Oh geez, thats been down for months, havent bothered bringing it back up. I'll change the url to something more.. working.. eventually :)

Mark,

On the RX side, does one NEED the data channel of the 636?... Does the

TX have to have a data channel too?... Basically I want 500mW of

transmitting power and if I could work with my Diversity receiver,

that'd be great. I looked up the frequencies of the channels I'm using

and they are 2.410, 2.430, 2.450, 2.47Ghz - although there is a selector

for eight channels.

I will be using one audio channel for data. I'm working on DZL's and

Thomas S's modem project but if I can't get that to work over range, I

will revert back to APRS and a TinyTrack3.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Jeff,

I have no idea. I can get a datasheet for you from them on tuesday if you'd like (I do not have one here :().

Airwave use:

Ch1: 2414MHz, CH2: 2432MHz,

CH3: 2450MHz, CH4: 2468MHz

So you'd only have one channel for use.

1) Pretty much you send your audio from a mic down one audio channel, and data from a modem or similar down the other. Most people use this for telemetry or sending gps :)

2) Well you will need to solder on the wires and connectors, obtain the SMA connectors. You'll also need a 3.3v regulator for most of the TX modules that wont go up in smoke when having 600mA go through them (your linear regulator is going to be very very stressed with this).

Alternatively, if you can wait a few weeks, Thomas S and i should have some ready to go modules and switching power boards ready for sale...

The data part... I suspected it was for things like GPS. Hey it's great that you and Thomas are working together on a ready to go system, but it would take the fun out for me building something from scratch. Then again, I don't understand the detail stuff on how to make it work yet, so perhaps it's best to get something partially ready made. :D

The airwave modules share the same channel frequency system,

it has only 4 of them, so it is compatible with lawmate rx/tx units,

so your system can be mixed.

Jeff, the airwave modules deliver much higher bandwidth in the audio

so I'm sure that will help alot on the modem,

I also use lawmate 500mW with my (DZL)modem, and laymate rx,

and I have perfect modem link if video look ok,

small noise and a few lines of drop does not seem to bother the modem,

either you are doing something wrong ?

or your modules audio is really bad, much under the standard I have measured ?

Correct filtering ? Correct level ? show me scope pictures so I can help.

The airwave modules share the same channel frequency system,

it has only 4 of them, so it is compatible with lawmate rx/tx units,

so your system can be mixed.

They share the same video channel, but not sure the audio carier is the same. When I mix airwave receiver and lawmate tx, If I remember well, I don't heard audio

I noticed there is a small pot inside the tx module that i'm thinking can be used to adjust the audio frequency. I really have no idea. This is in a 62X as well, not a 63X.