I've been impressed by the preformance of HiCam's 'local audio microphone'.

Okay, you have to order it from Australia, and it needs 12v (i.e. 3s LiPo), but after trying some lacklustre alternatives, this one gives me line out level with the same performance as the mic on a camcorder.

The SuperCircuits PA3 is low cost. Works on 5V. Very high gain; it may need a Pot on its audio signal to dial in the best gain for your Airwave module.

I've tried to get one of the Supercircuits amplified mics, but couldn't find a supplier that would ship to the UK... apart from one company who quoted a shipping fee of 80 dollars :o. I started wondering if these mics might be considered 'sensitive technology exports' by the Department of Homeland Security :ph34r:

If anyone stateside wants to order an extra one, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable inconvenience/shipping fee.

Why not make one ?

there are lots of pre-amp ciruits around.

Terry

I personally tried quite a few preamp circuits which were floating on the internet. Unfortunatly none of those had enough gain, I barely was able to hear something on full volume.

I even tried to make one with darlingtons to get the max gain out of it, but those were distorted.

If anyone knows a good preamp circuit - don't hesitate to post it, I think a little experimentation is needed to make one with good quality and gain.

Ox.

I've tried to get one of the Supercircuits amplified mics, but couldn't find a supplier that would ship to the UK... apart from one company who quoted a shipping fee of 80 dollars :o. I started wondering if these mics might be considered 'sensitive technology exports' by the Department of Homeland Security :ph34r:

If anyone stateside wants to order an extra one, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable inconvenience/shipping fee.

Doofer,

I'm using this one and they shipped very fast. Now unfortunately, I don't know what they would charge for shipping to the UK. I got guy who does sales/purchasing involved onto this forum so maybe? They won't burn you like Supercircuit? I was told Supercircuit is really nasty for shipping charges to Canada.... maybe international orders in general?

mic: http://store.pcsurveillance.net/microphones_s/27.htm

John

Terry - yes, I too have tried a couple of op-amp circuits from the internet, and they were uniformly very disappointing compared to the performance from e.g. a typical camcorder mic. Noisy, and unimpressive compression. Disillusioned of Nottingham...

JMS - thanks for this suggestion: It LOOKS like the supercircuits mic, but this one (M-Mic) they only rate for 12v.

The HiCam mics I have are really very good (a mere 18$ a pop), but also need a 3s LiPo (~12v); I want to see if the Supercircuits amplified mics work as well, but on a 2s LiPo (6-7v).

Have you (or anyone else) tried these M-Mics, especially at 6-7v? Shipping usually doubles the cost, so I don't want to just buy another 12v mic...

Ah, and another internationalist...

post-5-1177427584_thumb.jpg

Wow!! That's not nice. I should have bought stock in UPS... :lol: I use the PH3 with good results and I see that MR.RC-CAM has posted they work at 5volts.

Edited by Crash9

Superciruit would be similar or more... I've got a $200 shipment shipped for $80 to Canada, and I paied another $80 customs and brokerage. Be aware with UPS - you will have to pay brokerage as well. Fedex is not much better either - if shipped internationally - the only difference that their brokerage invoice arrives a month later...

Edited by oxxyfx

Doofer, the best amplified mics I've found in the UK are from http://www.quasarelectronics.com/4037.htm , run off 5v to 12v without fuss, they're not the cheapest but they're very sensitive, I attached one to a cheapie infra-red wireless CMOS camera for a friend's baby monitor setup, works so much better than the internal one in the cam that you can hear their baby make even the slightest of sounds with it. Maplins sell some for £3.50 but they're not nearly as good as the ones from Quasaar Electronics.