Mangus

KX131 camera connector - .5mm spacing?

Hi folks -

I'm not quite sure where to post this such that it will be seen by the right people, so I'm starting here.

I have a cased KX131 and am interested in making some extension cables (and perhaps some other equipment), and would like to purchase a few male/female pairs to mate up with the built-in connector.

Does anyone know where to source these? They appear to be .5mm spaced, but I'm not certain.

Perhaps they're the same as the ones used for the Inspire video/sensor extension (#MJST-EXT)? If so, Thomas, do you have a digikey, mouser, or jameco part # for these (and matching pins)? Special crimper required?

Sorry for the all the questions in a rather uninteresting topic.

-Mark

Edited by Mangus

It's not the same as Inspire's JST micro connectors. I don't know the industry part numbers for the KX-131's connector (could be a JST, Molex, or something else). Maybe someone has figured out the connector and can lend a hand.

Those little crimp pins look like they will be a challenge to crimp unless you buy the expensive factory tool.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I could desolder the connector on the camera board and use whatever connector I want. It happens to be through-hole on the board, so it shouldn't be too bad to do provided I find a connetor with similar spacing, or perhaps better, just solder in a pigtail.

It would be a clean fix to just use the KX-131 pigtail cable and solder your preferred connector to it. That way the camera does not need to be altered.

It would be a clean fix to just use the KX-131 pigtail cable and solder your preferred connector to it. That way the camera does not need to be altered.

Yes, that's what I've done so far. The real problem I need to solve is that the wire used in the pigtail is very stiff and rather cheap, so it tends to break from repeated stress from the pan/tilt. Currently I've put some hot glue on the wire where it breaks out of the connector, but I'm not sure how long even that will last. The idea there is that the hot glue will even out the stress curve, similar to what rounded edges do for a hole in a high-stress environment. Said differently, encasing it in a harder glue will only cause it to break further away from the connector at the (not-so-much-of-a-) transition from glue to no glue.

I won't like having to splice in replacement pigtails every time it breaks (I've only had to do it once so far), but if that's to be the case I'd rather source my own replacement pigtails than pay $5 a pop plus transit time from my camera retailer.

If I could get the raw connector and pins, I could use better wire (i.e. higher-silicon, higher strand).

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep my eye out.

Edited by Mangus

I measure the pin spacing at 1.27mm (50 mils). Although I only looked briefly, I couldn't find anything that was a close match in the JST and Molex offerings. It could still be one of those brands, or one of the dozens of others that are out in the marketplace. If you find it, please post the part numbers.

Keep in mind that the factory approved tools to crimp these sort of pins range from $400 to $900. Really. So, you will probably have to fake it with needle nose pliers and careful crimp surgery. Try to avoid soldering the pins since that just creates an added stress point.

BTW, I agree the KX-131 pigtail wires are too stiff for repeated flexing. I can understand how they would easily fatigue at the connector end. So, the hot melt trick should help a bit.

I've put my camera in my bag.. going to electronics store tomorrow so i'll attempt to find a match. If not i'll trawl through digikey and get a bunch of different ones that might match ;)

Never mind taking it to work. Found it :)

Digi-Key Part Number WM1722-ND Price Break

Manufacturer Part Number 51021-0400

Its a Waldom Molex Micro Minature 1.25mm Connector i believe. The datasheet looks exactly the same as what i have.

Never mind taking it to work. Found it :)

Digi-Key Part Number WM1722-ND Price Break

Manufacturer Part Number 51021-0400

Its a Waldom Molex Micro Minature 1.25mm Connector i believe. The datasheet looks exactly the same as what i have.

Mark, you're my favorite person. At least through Sunday; that's when my wife has to be my favorite person again. Otherwise she get's jealous.

Thanks again!

EDIT: that appears to be a 4 position. My camera connector is 3, which is 51021-0300. 1.25mm appears to be correct. I believe I mismeasured earlier. The original connector doesn't have the "MX" trademark that I can see on the outside face.

-Mark

Edited by Mangus

Good find. The nice thing is that they offer an "affordable" prototype crimp tool for it. Still over $200, but much less than their $500 production version. It would be nice to find a cheap import crimp tool that would make reliable connections for it without much fuss.

Oh my. Yeah, that pretty much makes replacing the connector on my own pointless. When you said expensive crimp tool early in the thread, I didn't know you meant that expensive. I really might as well solder a pigtail with a more reasonable connector right to the camera board.

I find a pair of micro needle nose pliers usually can do a pretty decent job if you really careful. Might take you 10-15 mins to crimp them though ;)