Sign in to follow this  
Hogster

Antenna -> RF input on 634 Rx ...

Hi all,

Have just finished wiring up an Airwave 634 receiver and it all seems to work ok. Thing is, I'm not using an SMA connetor to join the antenna to the pins on the board. Instead, I've used some stripboard, and the coax from the antenna goes straight onto the tracks of the stripboard. There's about 10mm of copper track between the coax going onto the stripboard and the receiver's pins being soldered to the stripboard. Will this have a detrimental effect on the range I get from the system? I have a feeling the answer is yes :( ... but I just wanted to check :)

Thanks all,

David

Edited by Hogster

Will this have a detrimental effect on the range I get from the system? I have a feeling the answer is yes  ... but I just wanted to check.

Yes, it can impact the antenna matching (with microwave wavelengths, everything matters). However, unless your method was grossly off course, I suspect it will work fine in your application. It just won't be perfect.

If you want to maximize range, then extreme care needs to go into ensuring that RF signal path impedance is tightly controlled. The easiest way to do that is to solder the SMA connector directly to the module. Beyond that, a custom PCB with a 50 ohm strip-line feedpath is needed.

Thanks for your feedback Mr RC-Cam :)

I've always wanted to know .... what is this 50 Ohm value measured from/to? I gather it doesn't change with the length of the cable? So what characteristic of RF wiring does it describe?

Thanks!

David

capacitance/inductance of the outer and inner conductors.

Terry