Mark Harris

Intelligent Flight OSD

So the first OSD is off the production line and is getting tested currently. Beta tester OSD's are going out by the end of the week (sorry, all spots filled!).

I dont have any pictures of this board, as its been soldered up pretty badly in a rush hehe. I have 6 more boards just needing IC's and then a good cleaning, should finish them tonight.

Attached is a picture of the OSD boot screen (i havent connected a GPS or any sensors, so this is all it will show). The video is just of a little rocket plane we built, and is getting fed into the OSD out of my camcorder.

Will post more over the next couple of days as i finish the other boards and test out sensors.

First Beta List:

- VRFlyer

- Kilrah

- Thomas Scherrer (of course)

- Myself

- Crash Pilot

- DZL

- jparrise?

Beta units will be sent out in 2 lots to allow me time to compelete the solder on them all.. takes many hours!

After the beta test is complete, a further 10 units will be availiable immediately.

We have a set of prices, but we are going to wait to see how aeropix prices theirs ;)

post-6-1178450089_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Harris

Finished Module. Pins sticking out of the label are just for the beta testers :) (they all have AVR programmers to re-write firmware if new stuff is released)

post-6-1178545258_thumb.jpg

Ohhhh yeahh Mark.... very nice! Looks very promising! ;)

Bluescreen Current and temperature test. Seems the temperature is a little off.. or i'm immune to cold :P

Only thing i could find that i can test the current with easily was my Lama V3 haha.

post-6-1178554954_thumb.jpg

To keep a GPS fix, everything.. i mean EVERYTHING is lined up against the window. Screen isnt secured on window as i was jumping out before to get 5 sats up hehe.

post-6-1178556361_thumb.jpg

2 Temperature, 2 voltage (or 1 temp, 1RSSI), gps (including direction "to home" arrow), amp/watt/accumulated amp hour, clock, timer and motor time.

Features for the release version: sold at www.intelligentflight.com.au

Fully configureable with PC program via serial port (USB converter may be needed for some users)

Each text lines can be moved.

Each measure indicator can be enabled/disabled.

The 3 voltage inputs are automaticly turned off, if not in use (if voltage is close to zero)

The 2 temperature inputs are automaticly turned off, if not connected (C or F configureable)

Temperature range -40C to 200C (-40F to 392F)

The current indication range 0 to 100A with 0.1A resolution, (enabled/disable possible)

The mAh accumulated range 0 to 9999mAh with 1mAh resolution, (enabled/disable possible)

All analog inputs can be gain and zero calibrated.

One of the voltage input can be used for BEC or RSSI indication:

in BEC mode voltage is shown like the two other voltage inputs from 0.1V tol 45V, in

RSSI mode the user can configure 8 voltage levels that will be shown as a bar-graph, after Antenna Icon.

Icon for the antenna can even be configured to any ascii character (or none) if wanted.

Total power on time (enabled/disable, position configuable)

Total motor on time (enabled/disable, current level to start timer and position)

GPS indications:

Speed in kmh or mps (enabled/disable, scale and position configuable)

Height in m or feets (enabled/disable, scale and position configuable)

Arrow pointing to home/start position (enabled/disable, position configuable)

Distance to home/start position in m or feet (enabled/disable, scale and position configuable)

Climb/Desent arrow (enabled/disable, position configuable)

Number of satelites (enabled/disable, position configuable)

Actual position in WGS84 format (enabled/disable, position configuable)

GPS clock (enabled/disable, position configuable, local time configurable in 30mins step.)

The GPS init string to setup baud rate and pakages send, can be configured so many GPS modules can be used.

The HOME position can be configured to be fixed or automatic at powerup.

Some parameters for the GPS 3D math can be changed

The PC program have several good default settings to startup with

Configuration settings can be loaded from disk and saved so you can share them with friends or backup if needed.

Some items are always written on the SAME line. Example: the clock - motor time - total time

that line number can be changed, and each item can be on/off.

-AT-Mark: Can you make any rough guesses when it will be available and at which price?

What exactly do you mean with "information lost"?

The module is onboard the plane, so that means as long as the plane and it's electronics are alive and the battery is full enough, the information gets burned into the video picture in realtime, and transmitted into the air.

So as soon as you get close enough to the plane (aka video transmitter) to receive a usable signal, you will see the video with all the data information onscreen.

Does this answer your question? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Cheers,

Hartwig

Well, as the OSD is in the plane and the info is on the video, obviously not :)

Not really much point being able to see it all anyway... if your video link goes down (assuming you use audio for a modem) your just going to be displaying out of date data on static :)

We wanted the smallest easiest to use system possible.. just plug a few things in and all is set to go!

Very impressive amount of data possible to add or not on the screen. An arrow to indicate "return home", and distance to return home. This is more than expected in my best dream :)

I'm very impress by your work on this OSD, ans also Anthony's and Frederic's OSD.

I like this hobby because it allow us to be creative. What you've done is a good example. In the last 6 month, FPV have evoluated more than the last 6 years. I always have a question in my head: It was a good thing or not to put FPV videos everywhere and showing to everyone what few of us doing "under the radar". The answer become evident after 6 months. I only hope we will be able to continue to fly long distance for long time, I mean no special rule like "the planes must always stay inside visual range"

If peoples continue to use light planes and fly like we do, everything will be fine. Styrofoam planes don't look dangerous at all.

Assuming we get all the software sorted this week, your osd will leave on friday or early next week Denis :) I hope it meets your expectation!

Also as a fun note to the feature list, we have the most processing power availiable to any OSD. Using dual processors rather than just one allows us to have one processor entirely dedicated to the display of the picture so you never get any messed up picture, can have smaller clearer text and fonts, etc. The other processor JUST handles inputs - gps, amps, volts etc.

NOW, we dont have to worry anymore about what kind of default our GPS modules have from factory, or if left unused for a few days if they go back to wierdo settings or speeds.

I have just now made the Intelligent flight OSD so the user can choose up to 6 different baudrates the GPS init words will be executed at.

you can even enable them all if you like to be sure, or if you know the default by test or datasheet.

255 bytes of setup chars to the GPS can be used,

and about 100 bytes now used for other configs.

so I use right now 355 settings :-) since I have both the EM401 and EM85 module I like to swap at the field, so I have keept config words for them both at the same time.

making-osd.jpg

Here is my software development setup in my shack for OSD stuff.

I am using the 151 cams now, both in PAL and NTSC,

really cool picture, but WOW they run hot after a few hrs 50C,

ok my table is 25C and not that well airconditioned.

Edited by ThomasScherrer