Last night I had first try of interfacing OSD to PC. App & Driver loaded fine.

On clicking 'Connect' the App froze. Tried this many times!

OSD was powered up before plugging in, detected OK (powered from standard current sense board which had a 2S flight battery plugged in).

Thinking about it this morning, the one thing I didn't have was a video signal input to the OSD board.

Is this normal, or should I expect to be able to edit the OSD layout with no video signal in?

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi doofer,

You should only need power connected, video doesnt matter. I believe that this is a problem with localisation on the program which i'm currently working on.. what's happening is the xml file whidh defines the config options to read in is failing to read correctly causing all sorts of nasty stuff top happen. I hope to have a fixed version this week.

please try to perform a loop back test as explained in the manual

this will prove the USB stuff is actually working.

I suggest adding camand TV at the same time, so you can see the "config mode"

screen and even all the bytes and locations transfered on the TV screen,

Did you also check your .net version ?

windows/microsoft.net/framework/

in this folder have you a V2.0.50727 folder

Edited by ThomasScherrer

Ok so thomas is posting pictures of his stuff, figured i'd post mine of the improved layout editor.

layoutident.jpg

Layout Editor with identify turned on. Adds text to the layout showing what each item is.

layoutMinimal.jpg

The layout which i fly with "Minimal". Just has what i need, no current, no amps, no crud hehe.

Minimal.jpg

Layout saved from the button in the bottom left. Exports a nice quality jpg of the layout which is great.. no more emails full of screenshots of the layout editor!

I've added a whole bunch of features and bug fixes, should be seeing a new release in the autoupdater this week!

Edited by Mark Harris

Mark - no problem waiting a little longer!

Thomas - yup, .NET is up to date. Can't find anything about 'loopback tests' in the manual (perhaps you have a different one). Plugging in a cam & TV, at least it seems to be working otherwise.

Kilrah - top USB port is no. 6, the one I'm using.

Doofer, to do a loopback test quick and easy, grab a paperclip and stuff one end into the green wire hole on the connector, and the other end into the white - this connects your TX and RX together.

Goto Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Communications and open hyperterminal. Put in your com port, no flow control, 19200 baud - then OK. Click the properties icon on toolbar (last one), goto settings tab and then ASCII Setup. turn on "Echo typed characters locally". Now when you type in the window you should see every character you enter twice - once as you press it, once as it returns back.

Kilrah - top USB port is no. 6, the one I'm using.

The COM port assigned by the driver is unlinked to the physical USB port the dongle is plugged in. You need to go in the Device Manager, and check in the COM ports section. The IF dongle will appear as "USB Serial Port" and have the COM number next to it. BTW, it can be changed in the advanced properties if needed.

Kilrah - thanks, yes, progress on COM4. It connects, the green progress bar then trundles across but then I get the error "Could not read OSD version" and it throws me back to the editor screen. Presumably this is the error you were referring to, Mark? (Loopback test therefore not needed, but thanks for the suggestion Thomas!).

(Oh, and auto-detect of correct COM port would help - or mention of how to set this correctly in the manual: I don't think I've ever had to do this for a USB device before. Ever!)

(Oh, any suggestions which way up the GPS connector should be? I'd hate to get this wrong and sqwug it by plugging power into the data ports!)

Doofer : I did not pack the cables or marked them or even seen what color codes they have on the items you have, sorry we have no uniform way yet, several suppliers now sell our stuff and it might be a bit different, on stuff like this,

I prefer marking, with label or color, or wires with colors that match them on OSD label.

But I have a trick to save you and others:

take ohmmeter, measure from GPS metal shield case zero ohm to one of the pins on the edge of the 4 pin female connector, the one with zero ohm is GND.

on the OSD: GND is closest to video connectors, have fun, be safe.

Hi doofer,

When connecting the GPS and having the top fo the OSD label facing you - you should be able to see the gold pins through the housing. Just line the colours up with that on the label and you'll be right.

With the OSD config program, please try connecting again. I've slowed down the connection waiting a fair bit but sometimes it would appear that my program gets ahead of itself and reads too fast, or the OSD just responds a little slow.

Doofer : I did not pack the cables or marked them or even seen what color codes they have on the items you have, sorry we have no uniform way yet, several suppliers now sell our stuff and it might be a bit different, on stuff like this,

I prefer marking, with label or color, or wires with colors that match them on OSD label.

But I have a trick to save you and others:

take ohmmeter, measure from GPS metal shield case zero ohm to one of the pins on the edge of the 4 pin female connector, the one with zero ohm is GND.

on the OSD: GND is closest to video connectors, have fun, be safe.

Uh well actually Thomas the GPS cable and USB cable is bog standard. The connections are all Black Red White Green.

Great, seems to connect OK now. Nice software.

What should I see when the GPS is correctly plugged in?

(At the GPS unit the wire order starts red, black, white, green, which is tricky to match with black red white green on the OSD! I'd have to remove all the heatshrink at the OSD plug end to identify the colours at the plug - this can't be what you mean. Using Thomas's method (identify earth) I seem to have to put the GPS unit upside down (black part upwards) with the OSD module facing upright. Video output remains the same, 'Waiting for 3 sats', no obvious acknowledgement that the GPS unit is correctly connected, so still not clear on this one.

Would it harm the GPS unit be harmed if I plugged it in the wrong way around?)

Hi doofer, what kind of GPS ?

I have swapped the connector a few times, no kill yet !

I dont say by that it cant be done, I just had luck so far not killing anything.

if EB85, did you mount battery to it ?

if not, I suggest you go into the GPS settings and add one more 38400 baud init,

so you have two, now it should connect after a few minutes.

also place the EB85 outside, so it can see clear sky as much of it actually,

else it cant get a first time lock, and with no battery you have this heck all the time,

the EM406 is a bit better to get first time lock with a bit less sky available to it.

you can make an extension cable, for the GPS while testing stuff,

I have used 7meters of 4 wire flat cable not even shilded, worked fine with all my GPS units, so I could place it out in my garden and sit inside in the warm and play.

>no obvious acknowledgement that the GPS unit is correctly connected,

that is firmware 1.15 you have !

I have made a CLEAR indication now in version 1.16C you will see a rotating arrow on the waiting for sats screen, each rotation mean NMEA pakage found,

and you can also see clearly if you have EM85 or EM406 connected, due to the 5Hz or 1Hz arrow step speed, upgrading IS possible :-)

(At the GPS unit the wire order starts red, black, white, green, which is tricky to match with black red white green on the OSD! I'd have to remove all the heatshrink at the OSD plug end to identify the colours at the plug - this can't be what you mean. Using Thomas's method (identify earth) I seem to have to put the GPS unit upside down (black part upwards) with the OSD module facing upright.

Ohh dear... range video are shrink wrapping the plug? :blink:

This isn't something we do btw, its important to be able to see the colour of the wires!

I'd also suggest using my settings for GPS init, i've got quite a few people on them now and they are finding them great!

Startup time: 45 seconds

Sats to start: 6

Edited by Mark Harris

Making a slit in the heatshrink at the OSD end, I confirmed that Thomas' technique gave me the correct orientation (EB85, btw, as supplied by RangeVideo with the OSD). However, the next time I pulled out the GPS unit, all the wires came easily out of the socket :blink: I assume it's safe to just solder these back into the socket, but I'd check whatever crimpers you're using!

I've clicked 'Update firmware', but the OSD still reports 1.15B.

So, I can:

- set the GPS to look for 6 sats instead of 3, but there's nothing about init strings to set time in the GUI.

- 'Load settings' for an EB85 at 5Hz

- Edit a nice layout

- 'Send all' to the OSD

... but it still doesn't seem to do anything... apart from Wait for 3 sats (or 6 if I set that). Should my new layout appear while it's waiting (just to reassure me that something has successfully been transferred), or do I just deduce all is well from the fact that it can Wait (and wait!) for 6 or 3 sats, depending on what I set?

And while I've asked for a Pacman to clear the screen at boot up, it just seems to clear it after some initial rubbish, no Pacman - does he/she appear after I've got satellites?

Oh, and last time I was 'Sending all settings' the PC app threw an error (pasted below gives me a 'message too long' error - does anyone want to see it?). I quit and tried again - all seems well (if unchanged).

I do apologise for all these questions, I know this item isn't supposed to work straight out of the box!

Oh, and Thomas - you refer to a battery - the EB85 backup battery? Which colour wires does this connect to? - probably easiest if I slip a coin cell holder on the OSD plug end of the GPS connector wire...

The pacman if enabled will eat the "Waiting for Sats" line once they've been acquired, and the layout will only show after that.

Have you ever seen more than 0 sats? Where have you been going for your tests? You really need to go outside, even out of a window it would be normal for the GPS not always to find sats.

The backup battery input is orange on the GPS side connector. Of course, shared ground.

1.16 isn't publically released yet, he was just saying this had been added as a troubleshooting feature .

The back-up battery is not needed, but can be nice. I don't use one and have 1-2min acquisition times in the open, sometimes a bit more. The thing is, if you cycle power (for example between 2 flights) it will take those 2mins again. With a battery it's more like 10-20 seconds. It's not that useful on a different day however.

>I know this item isn't supposed to work straight out of the box!

it should run directly out of the box, but the version 1.15 came with default GPS init strings for EM406, so that is why some have problems, also if you dont use a battery with EM85, find out what default baud it return to after powerup ?

and simply select this baud 2 times in the baud list, remember to import the init string for the GPS you use.. The new boards with 1.16C firmware will be shipped with init string for BOTH gps types at the same time.

>1-2 mins isn't a issue for me either

it is exactly the time it takes for me to go crasy :-)

I am know to be a very unpatient person, some even call me Turbo-Thomas,

so that is why I recommend adding a 3V small coin cell lithium to the EB85 GPS,

it will be explaied a bit futher in the new manual, I am still working on it.