Attention: RC-CAM.com will be closing down August 2021.

The RC-Cam.com forum was the very first online community dedicated to the advancement of wireless video cameras on radio controlled (R/C) models. This is now called "FPV" (First Person View). We are proud of the contributions that our members have made to the FPV hobby.

We've seen significant changes over the last twenty years. Initially there were a lot of eager R/C hobbyist that built their own video systems. Allowing these creative individuals to share their work was the purpose of this site. Now the FPV market is flooded with low cost systems; Sadly DiY FPV video projects are now rarely discussed.

RC-CAM.com (main site and forum) will be closing down August 2021. This is being announced now (March 2021) so that everyone has time to download any information that is important to them. After the site is shutdown the information will no longer be available here.

We appreciate every member's involvement with advancing the FPV hobby. It is indeed sad to say goodbye to all our online friends. Be safe and stay healthy.

Wouaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaouuuu :D Kilrah you are the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's work now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy !!!

Thanks a lot ;)

Julien

This GPS uses an MTK chipset, not SiRF, so the strings are wrong.

The best thing is to use that:

$PMTK314,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0*28

$PMTK220,200*2C

$PMTK251,19200*22

$PSRF103,05,00,01,01*20

$PSRF103,04,00,00,00*21

$PSRF103,03,00,00,00*26

$PSRF103,02,00,00,00*27

$PSRF100,1,19200,8,1,0*38

So it works for both.

I know, but in practice even with a glider flying smoothly I never got decent results...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still happily using one of these IFOSDs, firmware updated thanks to Thomas' very helpful support.

On my 'wish-list' there are 2 add-ons:

1. Airspeed: Sometimes groundspeed just isn't what you want to know.

2. Very simple 'get you home' autopilot: My biggest anxiety with FPV is "what happens if I lose downlink (easy -AT-10mW), take off my goggles but can't see my 'plane?"

Re. 1: Airspeed measurement is available off--the-shelf (e.g. http://www.emsjomar.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=3, and others). The issue, of course, is interfacing to the IFOSD. Easy? Impossible? Coming in later firmware releases?

Re 2: Given that IFOSD already has a 'get you home' arrow, how hard would it be to have a failsafe rudder feed to kick in? Okay, if I want throttle/ail/elev too, I can get a different, bigger OSD, but if the IFOSD could offer this little insurance policy, at least I know that if it all goes fuzzy when I'm getting near the limits of video altitude/range, all I have to do is turn off my R/C Tx and my plane will glide back towards me, back into range - when video is restored, turn back on R/C Tx and all is well.

?

• 5 months later...

What's the story on the IFOSD? I thought ThomasS found a new firm to produce and market it (?). If there is a new firm that handles it, then this would be a good thread to post the "factory" contact for support.

What's the story on the IFOSD? I thought ThomasS found a new firm to produce and market it (?). If there is a new firm that handles it, then this would be a good thread to post the "factory" contact for support.

I have been in contact with a few, but have so far not got a 100% go from anyone,

what a pity all that time spend in making it is wasted for me, so far.

now I focus on many other projects I find more fun and more money in making :-)

newer got a cent from the IFOSD and spend so much time on design and support

while others got the green.

I am involved in manned space flight at the moment, too please see this:

http://www.copenhagensuborbitals.com/

videos:

http://www.vimeo.com/3585147

Edited by ThomasScherrer
never got a cent from the IFOSD and spend so much time on design and support while others got the green.

Sorry to hear that you were never paid. I had heard rumor of that before, but was hoping it was not true. But you've confirmed the ugly story. Really makes me sad.

For those that need tech help, is there a place they contact? Or is all support closed down?

For those that need tech help, is there a place they contact? Or is all support closed down?

I still help out a bit, mostly with repairs and such more complex issues,

but not for free anymore, since I have other paying customers of my own waiting all the time

for my products I need to spend my time there.

also I did not sell them their OSD's I just cant support them all,

I hope people will understand this, lucky forums exist

and many other friendly users can help other users, that is good.

I am totally bummed to hear that Thomas got the short end of the deal. I really like IFOSD for its simplicity and capability, Thomas did a great job designing it. I totally understand Thomas' feeling about supporting users from "the other guy." I would do the same.

With that said, maybe some forum members can help me with this. I can't seem to get a good altitude reading on my IFOSD. Most of the time I am getting negative altitudes. It's not the TX interference issue, since I get enough satellites through the flight. Here is the video of my first flight:

Also if anybody has a current sensor for the IFOSD they want to sell, please let me know.

Thanks!

your firmware is 1.16F ?

the 1.16E or erlier had a bug in the height when FEET is used,

but works with meters.

also you make rols and loops and sharp turns, and have 3-4-5 sats

that is why your altitude gets so much wrong, nothing the OSD can help you when you confuse the GPS so much,

also you must get alot more SATS when you fly straight and use large curves and no G force style flying,

then you should see a much better and more stable height reading,

you can also try the meters reading and see if any better,

the feet is about 3 times more sensitive offcource, but there might be a math bug in there too :-)

I have several newer and much smarter firmware versions on stock,

just bad luck the development of the PC sw stopped a log time ago (not by me, I did not make the PC sw)

so all the new and cool features can not be used, right now you have actually some features in the OSD

that is not supported by the PC software, like other home positions, so you can fly to another waypoint and make a mission handover

with a buddy located far far away :-)

It's not the TX interference issue, since I get enough satellites through the flight.

I wouldn't rule out this, I have also had a couple of issues with the GPS reporting 6-8 sats but still giving out garbage/imprecise data on speed and alt just like in your video.

I ended changing my GPS module, but it might be worth experimenting with different component placements first.

It's not the TX interference issue, since I get enough satellites through the flight.

Part of what I saw was consistent with the usual video Tx <-> GPS interference problems. That is, sufficient satellite fix count when static, or very low speed and level, but reduced count when moving or during severe attitude changes. This can be a sign that the satellite's heavenly signal is weak and marginal; external RFI noise is a common cause of that. A "clean" system will have a consistently high fix count throughout a flight when the model is flown like I see in your video. But there are times your fix count is 3 or less, so the GPS needs some attention.

Using the satellite count to determine noise levels is just not reliable at all. A better way is to monitor the signal levels that the GPS can report. But that would require an OSD that included a screen to do such a thing.

Of course this has nothing to do with the OSD firmware bug involving the altitude's feet math error. But it sounds like switching to meters, or upgrading the OSD's firmware, would take care of that.

BTW, what GPS module are you using?

Do you know the firmware level it is using?

Lastly, what A/V Tx is installed and how far is its antenna from the GPS?

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

Yes I am running 1.16F, so that rules out the bug. The GPS module is an EB85A. TX is 500mw 900mhz from Range Video, with a -3db antenna that Vova included with the package. GPS is relatively close to the TX, probably 7 inches or so. I didn't extend the distance since I didn't think there was an interference issue. But I will definitely try moving it further away. Can the GPS cable be extended by soldering longer wires to it, or does it require some unobtainium wires?

I will also try to fly smooth and straight to see if that helps. We fly at an small field so the plane is constantly turning. I will need to try it at a larger field.

One more question. When I place the clock on the screen, it is always off by 30 minutes. I didn't see any time setting in the configuration program, just UTC offset. Where do I go to change the time?

Thanks again for all the helps, it's much appreciated!

PS. Thomas those are some awesome features. Where did you think up stuff like that? Hopefully you will have it implemented in your future products.

The GPS module is an EB85A.

If it is labeled as a EB85A (and not FV-M8) then you need to check the firmware version using MTK's mini-GPS PC application. The firmware should be version M-core_1.85. I suspect you have an earlier version because I think I can see signs of the data lag issue that was solved by M-core_1.85.

TX is 500mw 900mhz from Range Video, ... GPS is relatively close to the TX, probably 7 inches or so.

At that distance the EB85A is expected to have inteference issues because the 900MHz/500mW Tx is a GPS signal killer (EMI/RFI report: Click Me). If your model is small like the EasyStar, I'd recommend that you put the GPS module near the tail with the Tx at the front of the model. In addition, place a Toroid on the GPS host cable close to the module. Get 10+ tight turns of wire on the Toroid. Do the same Toroid trick on the TX's A/V cable, close to the Tx module.

with a -3db antenna that Vova included with the package.

If it is the wire whip monopole version then it needs to be upgraded to a good dipole. The stock wire whip causes stronger unwanted RF spurs at critical places.

Can the GPS cable be extended by soldering longer wires to it, or does it require some unobtainium wires?

Not a problem. Use small gauge wire so that you can get the most wraps on the Toroid cores.

Lastly, the unwanted harmonics are affected by the TX's RF channel. CH-1 seems to be less offensive than the others, but it really depends on the antenna that is installed and other factors. So, try all the RF channels and try to find the one that consistently gives the most GPS satellites.

One more question. When I place the clock on the screen, it is always off by 30 minutes.

Weird. If it is exactly 30 minutes off, then that would probably be OSD software related.

>One more question. When I place the clock on the screen, it is always off by 30 minutes.

>Weird. If it is exactly 30 minutes off, then that would probably be OSD software related.

no no !!! it is just a simple setting !!

the OSD config program can adjust the displayed time in 30min steps,

some contries actually have 30min offset, not just 1hr as the most normal, that is why.

open the CLOCK section of the configure items :-)

I also tottally agree about the GPS and its sat reading and its location is too close to the video tx,

I also say a small plane like easystars might be cheap and cool for many things,

but it is not an uptimal platform for trouble free FPV, for that you need a much bigger plane,

so you can achive the most uptimal distance from radiating items to receiving items.

here is one example:

http://www.webx.dk/rc/rc.htm#plane19

look at this link too:

http://www.webx.dk/rc/video-wireless/stick/page_01.htm

and more:

http://www.webx.dk/rc/aspach2007/page_01.htm

videoes at last page :-)

Edited by ThomasScherrer
When I place the clock on the screen, it is always off by 30 minutes. I didn't see any time setting in the configuration program, just UTC offset. Where do I go to change the time?

There, you just change UTC offset by 30mins in the direction you need.

OK I have relocated the GPS as far as I can. Since the GPS wires are too short, I extended the whole IFOSD unit forward. Now I am getting 9 to 10 sats on the ground compared to 7 before. Ran the motor and it didn't reduce sat count. Will test fly tomorrow. For reference, the GPS was previously mounted on the wing where the "X" letter is.

setting the UTC offset to -7:30 certainly fixed the clock problem. It's just odd that I have to set it 30 minutes behind the actual time offset to obtain correct time, since I live in California and we're in -8:00 offset. Not that it matters, it works and that's all I care.

GPS does have Etec EB85A on label. I'll have to make an interface cable for the GPS so I can check the firmware.

Thanks again for all the help!

post-5357-1236970020_thumb.jpg

You are headed in the right direction. I highly recommend adding the Toroids to the GPS host cable and A/V Tx, per the summarized instructions mentioned earlier. They have helped in just about every 900Mhz / GPS combo that I have been involved with that had problems. Honestly, the extra insurance they provide is worth the effort. Lot's of wire turns on them is best, as close to ten tight wraps as you can get. Don't use the convenient split core (snap-on) Toroids -- one piece donut types are needed.

It's just odd that I have to set it 30 minutes behind the actual time offset to obtain correct time, since I live in California and we're in -8:00 offset.

Seems weird to me too. But, it's great it is working out. Success is sweet!

>>setting the UTC offset to -7:30 certainly fixed the clock problem

what ??

try with a zero offset, that should read out the GPS clock unaltered !

does that work ?

else I bet you have an old ByteInfo.config

open the file just use a txt editor, and find the UTC Offset section

<option name="-8:30">32</option>

<option name="-8:00">33</option>

<option name="-7:30">34</option>

<option name="-7:00">35</option>

<option name="-6:30">36</option>

<option name="-6:00">37</option>

check the hidden numbers looks like this, else fix it :-)

>>setting the UTC offset to -7:30 certainly fixed the clock problem

what ??

try with a zero offset, that should read out the GPS clock unaltered !

does that work ?

else I bet you have an old ByteInfo.config

open the file just use a txt editor, and find the UTC Offset section

check the hidden numbers looks like this, else fix it :-)

Thomas,

I did find the options in the ByteInfo.config file:

<option name="-12:00">25</option>

<option name="-11:30">26</option>

<option name="-11:00">27</option>

<option name="-10:30">28</option>

<option name="-10:00">29</option>

<option name="-9:30">30</option>

<option name="-9:00">31</option>

<option name="-5:30">38</option>

<option name="-5:00">39</option>

I am not sure what is wrong, or what to fix.

But like I said, if it works then it doesn't matter why it works.

I know you are not obligated to help, but I do appreciate all the suggestions you have provided thus far. Thanks again. :)

>But like I said, if it works then it doesn't matter why it works.

it does to me, I am constantly seeking perfection in all I do,

no matter if I cant fix some thing, I still prefer to know why,

when I fail I learn more, wisdom is strange.

ok did a couple more flights this weekend with GPS away from the 500mw TX. Got more satellite counts (between 5 to 10), but altitude is still off. Even right after powered up and satellites were located, the GPS shows negative altitude before plane is flown.

I will add a toroid to the wire after I make a longer extension for it.

Where can I buy a current sensor for IFOSD?

Thanks again for all the help.