Mark Harris

Intelligent Flight OSD

ok did a couple more flights this weekend with GPS away from the 500mw TX. Got more satellite counts (between 5 to 10), but altitude is still off. Even right after powered up and satellites were located, the GPS shows negative altitude before plane is flown.

I will add a toroid to the wire after I make a longer extension for it.

Where can I buy a current sensor for IFOSD?

Thanks again for all the help.

My IFOSD (1.16f) maintains strong satellite counts but the altitude has never worked right. Both altitude and distance home only display in meters even when feet is selected. Altitude would jump all over (straight flight and shallow turns) sometimes looking correct and some times being way off and I finally just removed it from the display. Distance home appears to be correct except for the meters issue.

when people have problems it is often incombinations with the EB85 GPS,

try to borrow another gps type from a friend and see if better.

I was newer able to recreate any of the mentioned problems,

look at all my videos are with smooth and stable and correct readouts

(but ok I use meters, and so should you)

Your right about the GPS. The LS20033 provides a much better sat acquision.

The conversion between meters and feet in a program being just math is there any reason why using meters would provide a more accurate reading?

you get about 3 feet pr meter, so the feet value will jump 3 times as much :-)

a GPS have 9m accuacy on the position if good fix,

but about 5 times as much on the height,

multiply this by 3 and add flyind angle jitter to the gps

and you should get jumping numbers :-)

I have been using Meters since Thomas mentioned the bug. If GPS has 35m of accuracy on height, then my reading is probably within the normal tolerances. I have not attempted FPV because of this, since I have problem judging the height of plane through goggles. I am going to search for the firmware update per Mr. RC-Cam to see if that helps.

I have been trying to avoid LS20033 since it requires 4.2v operation. Using it on my plane would mean a 5v step down voltage converter for the OSD, and another 4.2v one for the GPS. Or can the OSD operate on 4.2v?

first of all !! you should not use GPS height as landing indication,

you will most likely crash !

first learn to fly good and stable FPV, then perform takeoff via FPV,

to land is hardest, use landscape to learn the height and maybe have helpers near by to guide you down telling you the height is good or bad, also the right lens is important,

normaly the open angle is too small, I have got different lences from rangevideo and found out this is smarter with the widest, get a more natural feeling.

you can simply add a diode in series with the 5V supply to make the 4ish volt required for the smaller GND, then you are within safe area, some even use two diodes, but measure the voltage when it is running, the diode drop voltage is a bit different pr size and type of diode, you can get anything from 1V to 0.1V

Looks like I have a lot more practice to do. I need to get a foamie to learn how to land FPV.

Question on volt1: The power battery connects to the two outer pins (signal and ground), and leave the middle pin unattached correct?

Thanks again for all your help Thomas.

Question on volt1: The power battery connects to the two outer pins (signal and ground), and leave the middle pin unattached correct?

YES please look in the manual, so you do not do this wrong !!

most of the connectors are like normal servo leads

GND

+5V

signal (can be volt in the volt meter inputs)

Hello,

I have a intelligentFlight OSD.

The software version I have is the 1010, and the firmware is 1.16F.

Did you update software and firmware?

Second question:

I have no idea how to configure the OSD.

Can someone send me the configuration?

My GPS chip is a 5Ghz Cirocomm.

The function of software update does not work.

(In the menu "Tools" "OSD Firmware Update" and "Help" "Check for software updates)

Last question:

Did you address a forum dedicated to the DSO?

Best regards,

Seb

Hi Sebiss. I see no-one's replying, let me try.

1. Those sound like the most recent versions to me.

2. You're a little vague about exactly what the problem you're getting is - can you describe what you do, and what the result (or non-result) is in a little more detail?

3. This is the IFOSD thread - although it may take a while, most questions about the IFOSD are probably asked & answered somewhere in these 22 pages. I think you'll find a thread on the IFOSD on RC Groups, too.

I just got a LS20033 but am afraid to plug it in!

Is anybody using the tiny LS20033 GPS module on IFOSD? Can you check the voltage for me?

I have board version 2.05 so it's supposed to supply 4v for GPS. But when measured with voltmeter it shows 4.8v. Could it be 4v under load? Is this safe for the GPS module?

Thanks.

Edited by Steph280

It depends on what IFOSD version you have. Some hardware revisions had a 5V output, some had a diode added to reduce voltage. Maybe add a diode externally, connect the GPS and measure. If it's too low there is already one on the OSD ;)

I guess my question is, what is an acceptable voltage when measured with no load on volt meter? All pins have 5v output except GPS port have 4.8v, so I suspect this does have a diode. Maybe under load it will be in the 4.2v range?

I guess I just need somebody with the same board to measure and see what the no-load voltage is.

what is an acceptable voltage when measured with no load on volt meter?

When using a LS20033, it must be less than 4.2V. Keep in mind that 4.2V is the *absolute* max voltage for the LS20033. In a perfect world, it is intended to be operated at a nominal 3.3VDC. If your unloaded voltage is 4.8V then I highly recommend that you do not use the GPS as-is.

ok I guess I screwed up. While trying to measure the voltage across GPS input pins, I accidentally shorted the pins for a fraction of a second. Now even with the EB85A GPS I am not getting anything. The little arrow on the "waiting for 05 satellites" screen doesn't rotate as it used to.

And my PC can no longer connect to it either. :(

Does this mean I fried something on the IFOSD? Is repair possible?

:wacko::unsure::wacko:

Edited by Steph280

Hello,

Does the IF OSD can powered directely 5 VCC CAM and TX ?

On the connection diagram I see a 2 S 3 S batt + regulator (but I think It is when we have 12 Vcc TX or Cam)

Thanks

JulienOSD_ConnectionDiagram.pdf

Edited by sigma_fr

On this diagram the OSD is powered by the flight battery throught the regulator that is fitted on the current sensor. The 2s/3s pack and regulator only power the camera and transmitter.

You can power the OSD with a 5V cam, but in this case you need to disconnect the supply coming from the current sensor (if it's the case on yours). The only important thing is that the OSD never receives a voltage above 5V.

On this diagram the OSD is powered by the flight battery throught the regulator that is fitted on the current sensor. The 2s/3s pack and regulator only power the camera and transmitter.

You can power the OSD with a 5V cam, but in this case you need to disconnect the supply coming from the current sensor (if it's the case on yours). The only important thing is that the OSD never receives a voltage above 5V.

Sorry my question was not clear:

I would like to power the OSD, the CAM and the TX with the flight battery.

If The OSD is powered by the flight battery I hope that It can power the Tx and CAM (5V).

I just want to be sure

Julien

OK. Then no, it's not possible. The 5V regulator that is located on the current sensor couldn't supply enough current for the extra equipment without overheating.

$PMTK314,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0*28

$PMTK251,19200*22

$PMTK220,200*2C

$PMTK314,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0*28

$PMTK251,19200*22

$PMTK220,200*2C

Strangely that's what I have in the OSD already. It still doesn't seem to work.

Guess I'll have to stick with the EB85. :(

Thanks for the strings.

Both are identical (they use the same chipset) so are directly interchangeable.

I'd suspect another issue, either wrong wiring or voltage. Where did you buy the LS20033? This is a 3.3V unit, so the voltage must be brought down a bit from the usual 5V. Some sellers include that directly in the GPS wiring, and it's also present in some IFOSD versions. You might have a wrong combination (both on board and GPS, which would give too low a voltage to the LS20033, or on none of them which could fry / have fried it if given 5V).

Don't forget that the factory default baud rate on the LS20033 is different than the factory defaults on the EB-85A (FV-M8). Hint: Your initialization strings must be sent with a matching baud rate.

The voltage issue mention by Kilrah is very important too.