Mark Harris

Intelligent Flight OSD

ok someone said : Keep the info coming,

PS: could you be so kind to fill in your location in the forum user ?

Just country will be fine, please.

ntsc.jpg

Latest news: special NTSC version created,

when Mark wakes up he will have an email with new firmware versions,

so he can ship out real soon to our valued beta testers arround the globe.

you need to inform Mark about your TV standard PAL/NTSC.

Since we use almost the entire screen (user selectable area)

and the line count is really big difference from PAL to NTSC,

we had to make and maintain two different firmware versions,

lucky for us everything this system does is software controlle,

so a day when HDTV or super fast scan TV will be the defecto standard,

we can simply change the firmware, or even just some soft-settings via our PC setup program.

PS: I am sorry about the bad picture, my video grabber is a PAL only.

Edited by ThomasScherrer

If only i had a NTSC video source.. i'd be able to grab a frame of NTSC haha..

The configuration program is almost complete, it is able to download definitions for you version of the firmware directly from our website automatically. The entire interface is done with declarative programming so chances of bugs are highly reduced and able to be quickly and easily fixed.

I have a question about the current consumed reading.

Assuming that the ADC has 10-bits and the current sensor is scaled for 100A max, this means that the best current resolution is just about 0.1A or 100mA. If this is the case, how do you manage to compute the current consumed to sub-100mAh resolution? Am I missing something here? In other words, 300mA and 330mAh current draw, would look pretty much the same to the software integrator? This is not considering the ADC jitter. Would not this application call for either a higher resolution ADC (say 12-bit or even 16-bit), or averaging through multiple readings, or reducing the max scale (say 50A max instead of 100A)?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out how to implement something similar myself. Thanks.

Daniel

yes, we chose to go for a 100A full scale reading,

since it will fit more people needs, I have 2500 Watt on my video plane,

and it is really normal to fly with 30-60A even on small planes.

the 0.1A resulution is not a problem, since mAh is accumulated constantly,

after 10 mins the total is extremly close to what can be measured using our chargers/dischargers and calc the remain capacity.

the standby current on our planes with receiver, transmitter, cam, and a few servos, will be indicated as 0.5 to 1A depending on configuration and voltages.

you also get a fine reading when mowing servos, or even if a servo or rudder is not moving freely as it was ment to do.

Thanks Thomas, for your reply. I suppose you are right that over time, the quantization errors should not be much of a problem but that's also assuming a fairly constant load. I recall my helicopter has major power spikes which I think may affect overall accuracy but probably not by much. Can't tell until I do some tests.

On another note, have you considered the possibility of eventually adding an artificial horizon. I am currently trying to implement a 1-D Kalman filtered gyro+accelerometer subsystem. I've no idea how stable the reading will be though. I was wondering if you have something like this in mind? Sparkfun current sells a relatively cheap 5DOF IMU that looks like it might work.

Lastly, is it possible to implement a "fly home" feature. I've been thinking about this because one of the risks of FPV flight is that we fly out of control. So perhaps if the radio signal is lost and the receiver goes into failsafe, it can trigger a altitude hold (a simple GPS based one, and maybe some simple logic to keep the plane high enough, say 150m up so it won't fly into trees or buildings and increase the chance of recovering radio control) and use the rudder to turn the plane in the direction of home. Also related, perhaps is a kind of RSSI reading so that we know that the signal is getting weak. This may require a tap from the AGC of the receiver but it seems like a potentially useful function. Both of these relate to failsafe conditions.

Daniel

*edit: I see that you already have the RSSI option included.

Edited by Daniel Wee

please look in the latest set of features,

we have RSSI implemented right now,

this analog input can either be a voltmeter, or a bargraph,

in bargraph mode, the user can even configure each bar (8 of them) to be = how many mV,

I use this since my RC receiver have this analog output avail.

else I think it is simple to get out from most receivers, RC CAM show a project about this topic.

We also work on auto-home, and auto goto postions and much more,

most of it is secret right now, since it is not a direct part of the OSD that is a measure and repport unit, not ment as a controll unit.

About the current measure: we use a hardware filter to get close to DC current,

and then a software filter, and then we accumulate the result, it took a few days to get it perfect :-)

PS: we appriciate you feedback and ideas, we add things to the "to-do" list almost every day, and implement most of the best ones every week.

Edited by ThomasScherrer

Thanks again Thomas - I'm just hoping that I can afford the final thing when it goes on sale! :)

I looked at the feature list but did not see a GPS heading display. Is there one? Again, I'm thinking of navigation beyond visual range where a numerical heading based on consecutive GPS readings would come in pretty useful.

I've also another question - what is the overall screen data refresh rate? Ie. is this locked down to the 1Hz of the GPS module (or 5Hz depending on the module), or is it as fast as the data comes in? The reason I'm asking is that I'm concerned for consecutive reading validity. For example, if we wanted a rate of climb based on a 1Hz GPS data stream, it would not be very accurate, or useful when near the ground. On the other hand, 5Hz would be considerably nicer. Same thing applies to heading updates. A plane can go through quite a change in heading in 1 second.

Daniel

YES there is a heading arrow, pointing to at fixed position,

it can be a programmed in position, or automatic stored at powerup,

so the arrow will point home or somewhere else if needed,

several settings exist for this, like how many sats needed before storing and continue, and a extra time delay after the needed sats are found,

I have found this way the most flexible and easy to use/understand,

it seems to work really good in practice.

The screen is uptaded 2 times a sec,

I have tried a bit higher, but it will just confuse or add noise,

its like every digital voltmeter you know, if they update too fast it is not smart, when the voltage is changing.

Any GPS attached must send its data in 4800 Baud,

with only the needed sentences needed turned on,

a 3Hz update is possible with a EM85,

sinse the screen run on 2Hz I simply suggest to use 2Hz, or 1Hz

I have flown with the super slow (way behind actual position) GPS modules at 1Hz update, and it is inoring, with the EM85 its positions is much more live, even at 1Hz update you will really fell and see it..

since it is all in software, later we can change whatever we like, simply with upgrading, if it is needed or requested.

it will be cheap enought , i hope, ask Mark about that please.

Edited by ThomasScherrer

4 beta units out. NTSC testers going to have to wait a few days while i finalise some stuff for them.

We are changing the current sensor board, at the moment its rather impractical.

Finished Module. Pins sticking out of the label are just for the beta testers :) (they all have AVR programmers to re-write firmware if new stuff is released)

Are you using two AVRs? I notice you have two ISP headers on that beta unit.

I have an Atmel ISP and do my share of AVR programming (Atmega8515 and 128), btw. Hint hint. =)

Hi Thomas, will we be able to add custom code to the unit at a later date?

I ask because I am currently working on a roll+pitch attitude reporting unit and was wondering if I can get the OSD to read this input and maybe display it as an artificial horizon? Thanks.

Daniel

Any GPS attached must send its data in 4800 Baud,

with only the needed sentences needed turned on,

a 3Hz update is possible with a EM85,

sinse the screen run on 2Hz I simply suggest to use 2Hz, or 1Hz

I have flown with the super slow (way behind actual position) GPS modules at 1Hz update, and it is inoring, with the EM85 its positions is much more live, even at 1Hz update you will really fell and see it..

Only 4800 baud? Bummer! I'm flying an EB-85A and at 38.4k/5hZ. It's like real-time data. Can the GPS itself be programmed through the OSD?

Edited by docphi

Yep, read back in the thread, the OSD supports sending GPS initialization sentences. Thomas has run it with the EB85A, but setting it at 4800bps and 3Hz as that is the max you can cram in at that baudrate.

Edited by Kilrah

>Hi Thomas, will we be able to add custom code to the unit at a later date?

sure Daniel. if any skilled AVR programmers need it, I can supply you some basic routines to get you started, only thing is you must supply me back your sources, and you must use WINAVR free C compiler, and you must not give away C code or HEX files to anyone else.

Hey Doc, the EB85 does not supply you with 5Hz constantly,

not at any baud rate, in bursts it does,

We only need/use the VTG GGA codes, so a 3Hz rate is fine with 4800 Baud,

and that works stable and constant.

Anyway as I said: even at 1Hz the EB85 is far superiour in realtime positions

compared to any other module I have tested.

The reason why we use 4800 is to fit most GPS units,

the user can set it up to fire away the init strings (also self configuable)

at any rate from 4800 to 115200, after the init(s) if you have selected to use more speeds, it will go back to 4800, that is how it is now in this release.

Later when we have flown and tested some more it is possible to change it.

I will add it to my to-do list of good ideas right now :-)

So at what price is the system on!!! c'mon Mark HOPEFULLY AFFORDABLE than others.

Hopefully this system will enhance my flying as to not get lost (Home arrow indicator). lol Also night flying which I have not tried. :D

yo texas dude, mark is sleeping right now, remember his location hehe ?

you know the reason for this homing arrow ?

I almost got lost in heawy side wind, on one of my first FPV attemts,

I got such a rush and shock, but I got the plane back home thanks to 20 helpers shouting in the background, and some was even using binoculars to find my plane,

and even then they could only sometimes see a small reflection of it,

when the angle and sun in it was right, puha that was close..

specially when the video was getting full of noise and rssi level really low,

I started to shoud help me now now what way to turn !!

I just could not recon the landscape, I did not check it out first using google earth or anything.

so imagine the hurry I had after that to get some action into designing the homming arrow on the OSD ! hehe..

After trying to fly FPV at the same location a few times, I start to feel a bit more confident about the landscape, and surely the homming arrow works and helps me alot, even using the slomo, (behind actual position sirfstar3 modules)

it works quite fine, all I had to do was to have a slow turn rate, then the arrow position is right and easy to control the plane after.

About night flying:

if you use a KX151 cam or similar extreamly light sensitive cams,

I am sure you can do FPV when it is dark,

I tried a few days ago to view and record a few pictures indoor,

with the light off, and I also took a few pictures with my digican without flash,

the digicam shows the lack of light, and the picture looks like the real thing = almost impossible to see what is on the picture since it was too dark,

BUT the KX151 cam show the place in great details even in colors !

I almost did not belive it !

Price is yet to be released pending any extra changes we may need to make during beta phase. We have a price for our distributors and a retail price in mind however. It is much cheaper than any other OSD on the market.

Oh and thomas.. on your PDA when your on wifi, goto google.com and click "download google maps". Then you can type in your address and cache up all the satellite/maps imagery for your area say 2-3km around. Then turn on the follow GPS feature! Sooo much better than the program you are using! (and free)

Very nice OSD. Looking forward to the release :) . Thomas does this mean you won't be making anymore "Where's My PLane" videos :D . The arrow should be helpful :) .

Edited by Crash9

I was trying it out yesterday, flying circles around my position. With a speed for 30-40km/h the arrow was pretty accurate. I was flying at 200m away from my position.

Should that be "Dude, Wheres my plane?" (and movie.. not video?) hehe.

>Thomas does this mean you won't be making anymore "Where's My PLane" videos

I hope NOT !! it was the worst day in my life (well sort of)

Great to hear Mark, really cool with that arrow,

I have several plans to test the EM85, with different update speeds,

and then compare the recorded videos to see the arrow response.

yo texas dude, mark is sleeping right now, remember his location hehe ?

you know the reason for this homing arrow ?

I almost got lost in heawy side wind, on one of my first FPV attemts,

I got such a rush and shock, but I got the plane back home thanks to 20 helpers shouting in the background, and some was even using binoculars to find my plane,

Yo Denmark dude, I fully understand you had your hands full during that tense flight. I saw the video. Geez it was scary, more scary when you have all that equipment on the plane. The model plane is the least on my mind when I crash, Electronics!!!!! :o

Hey thanks on your input on the KX-151 cam, Not many camera suppliers tell you all that much about their cameras. Sorta like buy and if you dislike product, buy another camera model :D

Good luck with the incredible OSD, I will keep close watch on this topic and see it's development come to an actual product for consumers.

Cheers

Heriberto