Mark Harris

Intelligent Flight OSD

>to put all data from sensors also available to a extra serial port

YES GIL, we only have one serial port and it is in use,

so the OSD is OSD and not anything else at the moment.

However we have the idea to re-use the OSD board,

but as a data measure unit and transfer, (only parts used for this mounted)

since we have both serial and usb optional connection to PC

with this product we can use the same range of analog sensors,

so you can measure two temperatures, 3 voltages, one current, at the same time,

or anything else that generate analog voltages in the 0-45V range.

or 0-1V depending on the inputs you select to use.

any PC or PDA that can capture and store ASCII txt as a file can be used,

and then you can use excel to make curves or analyze or convert futher on the data,

I really need a system like this for multi channel RSSI recording with nice resolution and fast speed, I want to analyze the multipath fading of several receiver installations using different antennas and distances.

I want to use fast baud rates and variable capture transfer rates,

from 1 a sek up to 1000 times a sec,.with our USB interface we can transfer fast, in the megabit range, so this logger can almost be a low frequency multichannel osciloscope, if you can make the PC software for that :-)

Ok, thanks Thomas,...., i had some hope your OSD could avoid me to have another board for telemetry,....., but thats ok,....., i´m planning to put my OSD on the ground station and sending the GPS NMEA sentences and telemetry by modem ( speed got to be fast :rolleyes::rolleyes::D ).

Listen, since you going to be working at fast speed data,....., have you ever thought to comunicate with your plane by TCP-IP and have some kind of security key or firewall,....., this way you could give your plane an IP adress or identify it using some kind of Mac Adress,......, well this wouldn´t be possible with the OSD but only with a mainboard controller prepared just for that......, just an ideia ;) !

Gil

Edited by Gil

Ok, thanks Thomas,...., i had some hope your OSD could avoid me to have another board for telemetry,....., but thats ok,....., i´m planning to put my OSD on the ground station and sending the GPS NMEA sentences and telemetry by modem ( speed got to be fast :rolleyes::rolleyes::D ).

Listen, since you going to be working at fast speed data,....., have you ever thought to comunicate with your plane by TCP-IP and have some kind of security key or firewall,....., this way you could give your plane an IP adress or identify it using some kind of Mac Adress,......, well this wouldn´t be possible with the OSD but only with a mainboard controller prepared just for that......, just an ideia ;) !

Gil

That would be incredibly incredibly complex and simply not worth it. The cost would have to be in the thousands of dollar range. Just use a Maxstream module to give you high speed serial over a goodly range.

We tested putting the OSD on the ground yesterday, it simply doesnt work. The sync's are so messed up from a video feed coming over wireless that the screen gets all borked. Eventually if there is enough interference the chip gets overloaded with the sync requests and dies.

The sync's are so messed up from a video feed coming over wireless that the screen gets all borked. Eventually if there is enough interference the chip gets overloaded with the sync requests and dies.

I don't get it. Do you mean Vsync and Hsync? In that case how come you're able to see anything on your display/goggles?

Eventually if there is enough interference the chip gets overloaded with the sync requests and dies.

Do you mean stack overflows due to "interrupts in interrupts"? If you write the interrupt handler using SIGNAL instead of INTERRUPT this should not take place, or do I get sth wrong?

We tested putting the OSD on the ground yesterday, it simply doesnt work. The sync's are so messed up from a video feed coming over wireless that the screen gets all borked. Eventually if there is enough interference the chip gets overloaded with the sync requests and dies.

Mark, i just finnished my tests with my GPS connected to a transmitter audio channel by Tx modem and a video tester connected to the video channel,....., the OSD is receiving the GPS NMEA sentences via RX modem-RS232 port,....since the GPS is inside home i have no stellites in view,...but thats no problem,....., the system really works for me and that proves that i can have a grounded OSD on my ground station ! :D:D:D

P.S- as you can see,...no problems with H-sync or V-sync

GIL

tests%20with%20Gps.jpg

Edited by Gil

>P.S- as you can see,...no problems with H-sync or V-sync

just as long as the picture is perfect it will ofcoarse work,

but try to make the video feed noisy, or even make a few drop outs, while this happens, the osd will flip and go out of sync with the video picture feeded,

that will happen on any system, this is why we recommend mounting the OSD in the plane, so it always have a live video feed.

and this is also why the OSD chip firmware is not designed to coap with any missing or any double syncs.

some people have special good video links and diversity or even framestores in between, they have the possibility to do tons of other things, and also the skils

to make it work, but we want to make a low cost OSD system that will work good for a mainstream level of users.

Thomas, my OSD doesn´t generate the sync from the video signal (don´t know about yours),...., if i disconect the video signal...i still have GPS data on the sreen on a blue background,....., for any reason if you lost video in your plane.....you will lost GPS information on the screen,....so this transport us to another problem......should we trust on the video link,....i think yes......, but we should have stand-by options,...i mean we should duplicate the GPS data coming to the ground by TX video link and also by using another TX( audio only for using modem data - NMEA & sensors),......, if any of these fails we still have data on our ground station,......, ok....you will say,....., this is not the right choice to small and light planes,....to much weight,...yes i´ll agree,......., but then if you´re using small and light planes you can not go too far distances( i mean above 6 miles or more ),......with data that cames by video TX only.... unless you´re using power above 1watt for TX on your video link !

You´re doing a nice job with your OSD and like i told you before.... if you could put and extra serial port for telemetry,....., that would be "gold over blue " ,...well at least for me !

Any way,...., i´m also in your costumers list for a new OSD,....., i have some ideias to duplicate the means to send data (NMEA & sensors) to my ground station !

GIL

Edited by Gil

>i have some ideias to duplicate the means to send data (NMEA & sensors) to my ground station !

simply sneak into the serial line from one chip to the other on the OSD board.

it is all made in clear txt and some simple goto line codes.

or even saw the board into two hehe.. is also possible.

or even saw the board into two hehe.. is also possible.

bluesawmed.jpg....I´m ready for it,...send me the board....ehehhhh :lol::lol::lol:

GIL

hehe GIL, the SAW thing is gonna be on your own risk !

you maybe have allready seen the OSD AVR is running on 20Mhz

in full swing mode, and then generating 20MHz clock for the Engine AVR,

so if the two buddyes are seperated a new life source must be injected,

a crystal could be added, but you need to change the fuse settings, to do this.

if any special requests about special solutions, I will be happy to help and support you, as long as your work, ideas and results will be documented online for others to use.

Mark is ready for adding people to the "first to receive" list

how ever it will take 1-2 weeks I think.

Sooo i havent posted up any updates for awhile...

We have been delayed about 5 days in our super secret release schedule. Looks like fully working no 40mhz interference boards are 2 weeks away from my house. Thankfully were were able to catch a problem before the pcb manufacturer was able to finish the set which they were working on.

Our first customer board goes out tomorrow! Its shipping with an EB-85 GPS and no sensors.. its to be used on motorbikes and a real fighter jet(!!!)... awesomeness.

Beta test is going really well, fixing lots of bugs and issues so thanks to the guys who are testing with us!

Thomas posted a picture of his workarea up.. figured i should too hehe.

post-6-1181153582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Harris

hi ! what's up

wich is the final weight of the board?

what you mean with USB Dongle? that hardware is used usually to protect software.

i don't like a lot the arrow that show's the back home way, bcos it don't show how much shoul'd i turn,

can we download the OSD program sofware ir order to check the options and see a preview and so on?

can you say a price? just around, maybe you can say "from 80 to 100$" or "from 100 to 120$" ? i hope price dont become higher than 120$ :unsure:

thank you!

Edited by wallaguest1

wich is the final weight of the board?

About 6.5 grams.

what you mean with USB Dongle? that hardware is used usually to protect software.

Just a USB connector for configuring the board rather than using a serial connector.. lots of people don't have serial ports these days.

i don't like a lot the arrow that show's the back home way, bcos it don't show how much shoul'd i turn,

2.Home arrow is brilliant feature!

Can't say much else, he sums it up nicely.

can we download the OSD program sofware ir order to check the options and see a preview and so on?

Well... you *could* download it, but it wouldnt do you any good at all. You need an OSD plugged in so it can connect, go into settings mode, read the software version and then load the correct set of configuration options for that version (or download them automatically if it doesnt have them).

can you say a price? just around, maybe you can say "from 80 to 100$" or "from 100 to 120$" ?  i hope price dont become higher than  120$  :unsure:

Considering parts and labour are almost that much.. its going to be more than $120. It will still be cheaper than all the other OSD's on the market by a good margin though.

Edited by Mark Harris

i don't like a lot the arrow that show's the back home way, bcos it don't show how much shoul'd i turn

It does, as it always points to home!

It the arrow points right you know you need to turn right 90°, if it points to bottom left that means you need to turn 120°left (or 240° right if you want to take the long way :P )

The full turn being 360°, each arrow step means 60° ;)

in my opinion 60º is too much angle,

where is home insdide that graphic? left? right? center?

homewb0.jpg

maybe im wrong, and the system works well, but i think that the system used in the osd of blackboxcamera is more precise,

what you think??

i talk about the low line with arrows,

xxid4.png

We asked peoples opinions a few months back, the general concensus was that the arrows/line take up too much space and are too hard to quickly interpret.

The idea is that you turn to the arrow until it is pointing straight up, which is the direction of home. With an EB-85A the arrow moves very accurately so you just stop turning when its pointing home. As you get close to your home position its going to jump towards you quicker. Maybe if your a kilometer way you will end up taking a bit of a small arc to get home rather than a straight line.. but its only going to take you a few more seconds to complete the path than it is otherwise. I've found the arrow quite useable, and can easily see back to where the starting position is on other peoples videos by following the direction of the arrow :)

Andre may be kind enough to post the video of his easyglider using the OSD which will demonstrate nicely :D

in my opinion 60º is too much angle,

maybe im wrong, and the system works well, but i think that the system used in the osd of blackboxcamera is more precise,

what you think??

I think the blackboxcamera one takes waay too much space on the screen too. The goal is not to have a precise navigation system as a main feature, but to have the simplest help allowing you to find your starting point if you're lost. The arrow shows you the direction, and you have the distance to help you too.

Here's the video. All raw, no cuts, no titles, bad lighting... but that's it while I wait for the weather to allow me to make something better.

http://www.rc-tech.ch/divers/070531_easyglider_osd.avi

Also, it's very short distance due to R/C glitches. But still, the arrow works well even if it's of course more jerky as the angles change fast.

I'm watching this thread very carefull .... since it will be MY osd :D

Nevertheless, suppliers (just j/k) can not improve to match customer expectations, if they don't hear what customers want. And both Mark and Thomas did an excellent job in gathering this input.

I know I came way to late to this discussion to express my wish .... :( but I wanted to show at least afterwards, how I would LOVE to see an OSD

* I do not need GPS coordinates

* I would love:

Attitude

Altimeter

Compass (heading indicator)

rate of climb & decent

indicated or true airspeed

Power

* configurable "timer for time in the air" vs. "time to return home"

* semi-transparent display (gamma)

post-6-1181237540_thumb.jpg

Edited by relee

I could make that up for you in a couple of weeks if you'd like.. However you'd have to carry around a computer of some sort with at least a 2ghz cpu an a gig of ram...

Color + graphics like that is not something that current generation microchips are really capable of :(

those guys from rc tech got some problem is hosting bcos it's impossible to download videos using download acelerators like flashget, :angry:

Edited by wallaguest1

Attitude

Add IMU ($$$$$) or IR sensors for limited range.

Compass (heading indicator)

Easy to add by software.

rate of climb & decent

From what I've been able to see (check video), GPS altitude isn't precise, fast and reliable enough for that. Add barometric altimeter.

indicated or true airspeed

Add pressure sensor and pitot tube, or other airspeed measuring means.

* semi-transparent display (gamma)

That's how it is now.

It's all just about compromises. Of course it's possible to add more stuff, but then you get a bigger and more expensive unit. This design IMO has the advantage to offer already a good deal of possibilities while keeping the costs and size very low, making it very flexible in the usage conditions. GPS alt and speed is already enough for a lot of applications.

those guys from rc tech got some problem is hosting bcos it's impossible to download videos using download acelerators like flashget, :angry:

In flashget, go to options menu, Protocol, and remove the tick in Send Referrer.

By default flashget tries to fool the server appearing as a browser. Some hosters don't like that and block the transfer if multiple connections are detected from a fake browser.

Other download managers normally work straight off.