I can get the airwave 5.8ghz, but you need double the power to get the same range as 2.4ghz. Doesnt really seem to be much point.

To get away from WLANs and 2.4GHz radios... but with increased multipathing...

Here the TX power limit accounts for range reduction and raises to 25mW at 5.8GHz.

If 5.8GHz gear wasn't that ridiculously expensive that would be worth a try. But well, it's not widespread, so the prices are normal...

Yep, I agree with Kilrah, 5.8Ghz may well be the answer for us in Europe that don't have the choice of 900Mhz. I would allow us to use 2.4Ghz R/C but the price penalty is very high.

Terry

The prices may eventually go down in the future, but I fear this wouldn't be before the new wireless network technologies go and flood that band too... which would in the end be exactly the same, apart from the R/Cs...

I have already seen proposed broadband figures for the band and it's not good :(

Terry

What you guys are not taking into account is how 5.8 GHZ behaves. That frequency is so high everything is super critical, and the RF is even more easily blocked than 2.4 GHZ. I would not was my time with 5.8, you will spend a bunch of money and end up not liking it and going back to 2.4 GHZ equipment.

JettPilot

We know the problems with 5.8Ghz JP but what choice do we have ?

Terry

I like 900 MHZ, and am still considering that band. The receivers seem to be a problem, as thier performance is not as good as 2.4 receivers, but I think a 17 dB gain pre amp on the receiver from downeast microwave might solve the receiver problem. That 2 watt 900 MHZ video TX on ebay looked perfect for long range.

If 900 proves to be to impractical, I will stick with 2.4 GHZ.

JettPilot

Edited by JetPilot

Hi Jetpilot, please fill in your location, it will clear up a few things here :-)

you see in some contries 900Mhz for video links is not legal !

and then only choise is 2.4 or 5.8 for video,

2.4 is not always good here, since more and more people fly with spectrum 2.4

and when they go near your RX antenna you loose contact with your FPV plane 1km away, not nice !!

I tried to place my 500mW 2.4Ghz video plane directly on top of a plane that was RC by spectrum 2.4 no problem that way.

but the spectrum TX side screw up me RX side !

Doesn't the rules and guidelines for the 2.4ghz band in your country state that the transmitter must NOT cause interference to others? Should the Spektrum transmitter shut down for causing interference or at least be forced to avoid proximity to others?

I have had the same thing happen where I fly in the US. The FCC guidelines in the Spektrum manual I have (Page 94), Topic 1 "This device may not cause harmful interference". Could your plane crash from the interference, it only takes seconds of signal loss and you can't tell what its doing during the interference. If you are flying from the video monitor, you need a clean stable signal. The video link is part of your control system! The user with the Spektrum transmitter should first be verbally warned of the harmful interference and suggest that they keep distance while the video system is operating the remote craft. I've found that nothing works as good as distance between US (or turn the Spektrum transmitter OFF).

Edited by ddwaner

I do not know why people are so exciting about RC spectrum 2.4Ghz, system, because the use 2.4ghz band has a shorter range and it is a crowed band.

If it was a great system it should scan for a free channel, and filter the signal for that channel only.

So, I don't know if the 2.4Ghz is better than 72Mhz which is more powerful and go through obstacles better than 2.4Ghz band.

Let's see what happen.