qb7

Aerial Obstacle Detection Systems?

Would anyone here happen to have experience working with Infrared Proximity Detector or Range Finder systems used to avoid aerial obstacles?

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to avoid colliding with an object while performing close proximity aerial photograhy. Therefore, I am looking for a micro-controller and sensor that I can hook up to a receiver that will in turn annunciate to a ground station or transmitter.

There are several sources for sensors out there such as the MaxBotix LV-MaxSonar and proximity sensors at Lynxmotion. However, I was hoping someone might have source for a "plug & play" system or know someone I can contact who has delved into this subject.

Lachlan

Sonar modules seem good, but the problem is that their range is usually limited to less than 10m. By the time you'll have noticed an in-range alert you'll already be in the "target"...

Sonar modules seem good, but the problem is that their range is usually limited to less than 10m. By the time you'll have noticed an in-range alert you'll already be in the "target"...

Hoveing in the "target zone" is what I am pursing with the subject probably within 3 to 4 feet of the heli main rotors. Cutting it close, but I guess it will depend on how quick the sensor can relay the information. Maybe a loud enough tone on the system programmed to annuciate at a particular distance. I really don't know squat about this sort of thing, so trying to research feasibility.

EDIT - Here is another interesting kit: Ultrasonic Radar Module

Edited by qb7