Andrew

New(er) to electronics where to start

I'd like to build a simple altimeter video overlay system for my aerial photography helicopter mount. I'm not overly experienced in electronics although I can build circuits. My soldering skills are good since I grew up with a father who is an EE. My background is computer science, so I have much experience programming in Java and C/C++. I took and passed an assembler class in college although I haven't worked with it since.

I think I could probably make it work using a Javelin Stamp although I don't particularly care for the price of this unit. Is it worth my time to learn how to use a PIC and if so, where should I start? Are there any good tutorials out there?

What do you want to use to read altitude?? I would suggest a cheap GPS myself, but that is just me. You could a pressure sensor which is a little more tricky than GPS but not much.

Matt

I'm was leaning toward a Motorola MPX 4115 pressure sensor but I'm very open to recommendations. I'm also looking at a BOB3 board for overlay but again I'm open to any recommendations. I want a relative altitude and not an absolute altitude. Can this be done easier with GPS?

Personally I would look into the PIC. There are quite a few examples for altimeters. Also with the Basic Stamp.

As for choosing, it all depends on if you think you will continue with other projects or not. The PIC has a bit of an initial cost to get started with, but in the long run it ends up cheaper if you build several projects.

The GPS for an altimiter is probably the easiest way to go about it. Of course the GPS always needs to see the satelites.

The barometric pressure sensors works well, but it's more work to get it all together. One of my favourite is a digital barometric sensor. But they are a bit harder to come by.

As for the Bob-III I have a Bob-II that I have barely used. If you are interested in buying it I would let it go for half the price I paid. I also have several 32-pin sockets for them which is essential. Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers,

Mike

I won't be purchasing anything at least until George Bush gives me some of my money back in the next month or two. I'll look you up then to see if you've still got them lying idle.