Attention: RC-CAM.com will be closing down August 2021.

The RC-Cam.com forum was the very first online community dedicated to the advancement of wireless video cameras on radio controlled (R/C) models. This is now called "FPV" (First Person View). We are proud of the contributions that our members have made to the FPV hobby.

We've seen significant changes over the last twenty years. Initially there were a lot of eager R/C hobbyist that built their own video systems. Allowing these creative individuals to share their work was the purpose of this site. Now the FPV market is flooded with low cost systems; Sadly DiY FPV video projects are now rarely discussed.

RC-CAM.com (main site and forum) will be closing down August 2021. This is being announced now (March 2021) so that everyone has time to download any information that is important to them. After the site is shutdown the information will no longer be available here.

We appreciate every member's involvement with advancing the FPV hobby. It is indeed sad to say goodbye to all our online friends. Be safe and stay healthy.

And a closeup.. Of note, I would really urge anybody who has TowerPro type 2 like ESCs (with the BEC on a little satelite PCB, as used in the type 2 and 3) to check the FETs. If they are those used in the type 2, as I call it, either replace the FETs or the ESCs as soon as possible. In any case ensure you use type 2's at loads of 10A or more, ensure forced cooling, and avoid accidental blocking of the prop.

BECs 7805's stacked up on main pcb = type 1, no overheating problems.

BEC on breakout board and hot TC8114/TC8111 FETs = type 2, can seriously overheat.

BEC on breakout board but different FETs TPC8107 und F8113 which don't seem to overheat at all on my 11min flight = type 3

Best to replace the TC 8114/8111 with better alternative Si4425. Quax has done that and it solves the overheating problem.

post-2251-1205868273_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arthur P.
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK a few guys have experience with these copters so time for some reccomendations.

Which is the best quad to go for and why ?

Is there a complete starter kit availible with all the parts ?

What is the cost ?

Any direct links to products would also help.

Thanks, Terry

• 2 weeks later...

What are you expeting to do? Just fly around for fun and FPV, or shoot images?

I.e. do you need 100gr of payload, or 500?

Edited by Kilrah

Mikrokopter, standard equipment, 50cm frame and ~2200mAh 3s pack should give you just about that. I'll be able to confirm it somewhere this week with my Canon HV10 HD camcorder, that's if the weather cooperates. But it seemed fine with a dummy payload :)

Everything's fine, just can't get rid of the vibration...

Oh dear, are you using the 10x4.5 props ? how are they held on ?

I've started collecting bits for my own design quad, wish me luck :D

Terry

Yes, those... on these mounts, on Roxxy motors.

Just gave it another try, really no luck, vibration seems low when holding the thing in the hand, but more than enough to completely blur the image.

Edited by Kilrah
Just gave it another try, really no luck, vibration seems low when holding the thing in the hand, but more than enough to completely blur the image.

If the vibration seems low when in your hand then I guess it's a frequency thing. Maybe worse at certain speeds ?

The props look well held and I assume you balanced them.

How is your camera mounted ?

But is there a link to this shop in english?

There are some English pages but a lot you need to translate.

Terry

There's no English version of the shop. This kit sounds cool, no idea if there are instructions with it, it didn't exist when I bought my stuff. But be prepared to read and/or find out by yourself, the MK isn't any close to ARF, they just produce and sell the basic parts needed to build something yourself.

Terry, yes I've balanced the props as well as I could. For now the camera is mounted rigidly, upside down and held by the tripod "socket". Tomorrow I'll try a different mount, soft and with a lot of foam.

Yes I see you´ve to guess how to get a final MK, that sound interesting but quite confusing with german. Would be nice is someone could post his components setup, I´m ordering some stuff in a few days, so I´m in. ;)

Did you use that ACT receiver? I have 2 ACT PPM 8 channels receiver and don´t like pretty much

Well, I have pretty much all the standard equipment you have in the link you posted, just the motors were different at the time, and I built my frame myself with a rod of 10mm square aluminium.

The set really includes everything, even the shrink tube to put over the solder joints...

Yes I use the ACT receiver. I tried 3 others I had before, extracting the PPM stream, but I had very poor range with all 3. Then I got angry and ordered the ACT and everything's fine now.

Well, I have pretty much all the standard equipment you have in the link you posted, just the motors were different at the time, and I built my frame myself with a rod of 10mm square aluminium.

The set really includes everything, even the shrink tube to put over the solder joints...

Yes I use the ACT receiver. I tried 3 others I had before, extracting the PPM stream, but I had very poor range with all 3. Then I got angry and ordered the ACT and everything's fine now.

I guess you´re using the robbe roxy 2824-34, with holger escs?

I saw a 25A tower pro esc mod for working with flight controller MK, but I don´t know if I want to lift so many payload. I would be happy with no more than 500gr. Need to find some other motors with similar specs than in the kit, I don´t really like those.

I guess you´re using the robbe roxy 2824-34, with holger escs?

Yep. And there's really no need to go bigger for 500gr payload. It's still VERY reactive with that much.

Why don't you like the Eskys? Personally if everyone's now using them successfully I wouldn't bother looking for something else.

I´ve had some bad experiences with esky bl, did have to buy 3 in separated orders to find one working ok. Shaft deformed, rotating case joined with the back plate, but it´s true that they where other model. If those are working ok that might be an option certainly, I haven´t read any report of those brushless yet, (I´m reading all the info I can, from the begining). Probably the best way to enter is the kit I´ve posted, we´ll see in few more days reading. ;)

If you buy them from the MK shop you should be fine. They do check the stuff they receive. There were loads of problems with the roxxys too, with shorts between windings and the case, but they would check all those they sold and return the bad ones.

Have read this thread twice now and am hoping kilrah can get rid of the vibrations seeing that I have the same camera and may follow his lead next year.

Looks to be a good platform, but I have a weird question, is there anyway to stick a motor on the back of the quadcopter to push the whole thing forward rather than tilting to accelerate etc. Am unsure wether that would cause trouble with guidence or gyro's. I just think this has the possibility of being a great video platform, essentially the whole thing would function kinda like a blimp instead of a copter.

Ivan.

The tail motor makessense, it would prevent getting a tilted image when going forward. And that would be easy to try too, just stick a motor that's completely independent of the rest and go. The only annoying thing would be to find the right way to mount it so that the props are cleared from each other but without getting too far of the CG vertically.

Finally I´ve ordered the full kit from mikrocontroller.de. I was tempted to switch motors for those Turnigy 2217/20 that seems to do quite well, and I think that holger esc could handle them well, but watching weight I though that could deserve a try those e-sky ones.

There are also a lot of frames to choose, I was looking to some kind of kit too, there are several sources to go with, but my conclusion was that lighter was the 4 alu arms + center plate that is offered with the full kit. Not so fancy though but I don´t want to win MK´s most beautiful award :lol: I think it´s important here to keep weight low.

Hope don´t get me very long to put all stuff together. Other thing is to properly set it for stable flight.

Kilrah you have any luck with camera mount? There any possiblity of making a custom steady cam for your setup with using battery as ballast? They're simple yet difficult to make. I made one for my cularis but it was still too big and required custimizing the whole front. Which didn't work out because it was complicated to change battery, remove camera etc. But with the quadcopter you could almost have everything easily accessable. It would cut down on vibration, even reduce the angles etc that the camera sees as it sits on a gimbal.

Ivan.

I'm not quite there yet. But I don't think a steadycam would be of much help. The problem isn't movement on itself, that's taken care of by the aircraft's stabilization (provided you fly it accordingly of course), but really low amplitude high frequency vibrations from the props/motors. You don't see the vibrations when you see the thing in flight, and even only barely when holding it in the hand. A rigid structure won't help against this, the only way is to use soft mounts to try and isolate the camera from the frame. We're trying various kind of foam mounts these days.

Another thing that might actually be a drawback in that kind of application is that the HV10 has an optical stabilizer, which is no more than a "flying" lens that is supported by a magnetic field. It's meant to correct for hand shakiness but the system will never be able to compensate for the short but strong accelerations vibrations create, so it' can't even hold the lens in place -> more shakiness.

• 3 weeks later...