Sign in to follow this  
capn

Anyone used a high-gain omni for 2.4?

Has anyone used an omnidirectional antenna like the one listed below on a diversity receiver? I am curious because I was thinking of trying one of these along with one of the 12dbi patch antennas that I got from FutureHobbies.

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2412u.php

Maybe this isn't even necessary? I'm going to be using the FutureHObbies 1W transmitter along with their diversity setup. I thought that maybe a good compromise between distance and coverage would be a bigger omni like the one above used in conjunction with the high-gain vertical/horizontal polarized patch antenna.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

capn

It's going to depend a lot on how many users are on the band in your area (broadband use). The problem with an omni is that it will pull in signals equally from all directions and some are not wanted. A patch is good as it will pull in signals from only the direction you want (where your plane is).

Feel free to give it a try but if you want an aerial to use with a patch on a diversity system then a simple standard dipole type would be my choice as it will receive a wider angle.

With 1W of power your R/C link will be your main problem !

Terry

It seems to me that its beamwidth is too narrow for a mobile-airborne application. It would be better to use a lower gain 3dBi omni along with your patch. IMO, unless you are flying in a field that has no structures within several hundred meters, I think a low gain (larger beamwidth) circular polarized patch, with your high gain linear patch, would give good results for typical urban/suburban use. But, YMMV.