Sign in to follow this  
jive

Top Gun AWS problem

Just got to really test the AWS boards today, and although they worked great, we've ran into a serious problem.

Planes we were using: Stryker C stock brushless, and a Superfly Hyperflea. We had the firing on our rudder channels, so a tap to the right would fire, and since both planes have no rudders, it worked out great.

Problem was, %80 of the time when we flew at full throttle, or near it, we would get a hit signal. It happened a lot, for example: The first test we did was just with the Stryker C alone, mainly to see if using the rudder to fire worked well. In 10 minutes of flight, we got 20 hits on the Stryker. This was with no other AWS plane in the air. It was almost unflyable, as every 10 seconds or so, it would squeal and the motor would stutter. So I tried it on my Hyperflea, same result. We did find out that as long as we flew between %50 and %75 throttle, it didn't happen, but it is very hard to combat without bursts of full throttle. We did do a couple combats, and it was a blast. However, given the number of false hits we received, it was almost impossible to tell who won.

The boards are awesome, but like this, they are almost not worth using. Please tell me this is a known issue, and there is a workaround. Thanks for any help you can shoot my way!

Jive

I suspect that the motor/prop audible noise is triggering the sonic module (HobbyZone's SCM is activated by ultrasonic sound and some rear prop'd models are quite loud at WOT). A workaround might be as simple as moving the module further away from the noise source. Or, perhaps a different prop choice would help. It is really hard to say what would be best, so just try some experiments.

I suspect that the motor/prop audible noise is triggering the sonic module (HobbyZone's SCM is activated by ultrasonic sound and some rear prop'd models are quite loud at WOT). A workaround might be as simple as moving the module further away from the noise source. Or, perhaps a different prop choice would help. It is really hard to say what would be best, so just try some experiments.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking the noise may be a factor in some way. We'll see what we can work out.

Jive

This is a common problem with a brushless Stryker. Try adding some Scotch tape over the sensors. It might limit the range some but got rid of the falsing.

Edited by Tom in Cincy

UPDATE: Finally got the boards working great! Had to move the SCM's up to the nose of the Stryker, and angle them to where the receiver of the SCM is pointed above the prop area. We now get zero false hits, and combat is awesome now that we are brushless. Kudos to RC-Cam Man for the awesome boards!

Jive