Daniel Wee

My little NAV/OSD project - under construction

Daniel,

No need to write a windows app. Just use hyperterminal to upload a text file to the OSD. It works very well, and is easy. It's just a matter of making a text file with the 5 waypoints on it, something like:

VLake 87.44.33.44 42.55.43.44

Test1 84.44.33.44 47.55.43.44

Test2 86.44.33.44 45.55.43.44

then, use hyperterminal's "send text file" feature. You can use spaces to delimit the fields like above, or commas

Just some video updates here - did a few flights these last few days, still ironing out some very minor cosmetic issues, usually due to oversight. Anyway, I have one here of the autopilot working in pretty windy conditions:-

Autopitlot Test (windy, 36MB WMV)

And this one is an "exciting" flight - almost could not make it home due to strong headwind.

FPV Flight 7 (38MB DiVx)

I've tried to highlight some of the different features here and there. Enjoy!

Other than that, because I've been flying in really windy conditions, I've found that there can be a lot of side-slipping. This is why in the video, the home direction is sometimes not aligned with the visual sighting of the field. Although the field may look like it's in front of you, the plane is actually tracking sideways, leading to the home indicator being offset in the opposite direction. This has prompted me to consider some approaches to dealing with this problem.

One strategy is to actually have a magneto-meter to give me actually heading as opposed to track. By comparing the two, I should be able to derive information about side-slip. Have a TAS sensor such as a pitot tube would also be useful to estimate headwind, by comparing with ground speed. Of course, if I get lazy, I'll just put a small vane in view of the camera so I can see what is the relative wind direction but then, where's the fun in that. I like over-engineering things, except then they make my plane too heavy.

Still to do in version 4.0:-

1. Solve the track naming bug - somehow I'm not getting the correct date into the log.

2. Test the slight change to the home indicator.

Stuff like the map and uploadable way-points are not going to make it into version 4.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

Over engineering things and making the plane heavy? Sounds like you need a bigger plane Daniel! :lol:

Saw the video and wow! Very tense Daniel! Flying back on fumes! :o

Edited by JMS

Lol, it's not gonna fit my car! And I'm into environmental friendliness - so only electrics and as small as I can get away with. I did maiden my Cularis yesterday though. That is one BIG bird and does take some getting used to. More on that later if I don't end up selling it already.

Daniel

Very awesome your osd Daniel Wee. I'm most of the time on rc groups forum and don't come on rc-cam oftenly. I had miss your progress. I like very much the compass it's so realistic. I don't know the size of Bob-4 pcb, what is the size (Height, lenght, large) of your two pcb join togheter?

Very awesome your osd Daniel Wee. I'm most of the time on rc groups forum and don't come on rc-cam oftenly. I had miss your progress. I like very much the compass it's so realistic. I don't know the size of Bob-4 pcb, what is the size (Height, lenght, large) of your two pcb join togheter?

You've missed a lot around here. Should try what I do.... open two pages at the same time and watch both of them (RC Group & RC-CAM) together. ;)

Hi VRFlyer,

I'm afraid I don't have a photo at the moment but the BOB-4S is the same size as the controller boards and if you look at the photos I put up, you can see two screw holes at either ends of the boards. These holes are for brass spacers that allow the two boards to basically be stacked up together making for a very compact module. I'll see about getting some photos of this up but that will have to wait because I've sent one of the boards back to Decade Engineering and my other one is inside the plane. The exact dimensions of both boards (in the revised version) is 1.025 in by 3.5 in.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

Arrgghh... spent last two days chasing down what I thought was a coding error which turned out to be a compiler quirk! Hate it when these things happen - the compiler or the MCU has a quirk where the very first write to EEPROM sometimes just didn't register. I kept checking and checking and just could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Just got that fixed - what a waste of time, gah! Anyway, that's fixed and also another minor cosmetic change to make the recticle look nicer. I should have been using that time working on the new prototype to test the design changes instead of this. Now, I'll get on with that.

Daniel

You've missed a lot around here. Should try what I do.... open two pages at the same time and watch both of them (RC Group & RC-CAM) together. ;)

I got many page always open, the rc-cam forum page is always open.

By period, it miss action on this forum, I was searching something different elsewhere, but it's not better :)

I got many page always open, the rc-cam forum page is always open.

By period, it miss action on this forum, I was searching something different elsewhere, but it's not better :)

MANY PAGES AT THE SAME TIME?!?!!? You must have six eyes on your head! I can only view two pages at a time... I have only four eyes :lol:

More GPS units are here :) These should all have the new firmware as well :D

Looks like boards are going to be at least a month away with the production/posting time :(

See - right there I can tell you're a Chinese, probably a Cantonese!

Daniel

:lol: Takes one to know one!!! :lol:;) Nah Ho laek dai low! :P

Edited by JMS

lol! Mo lek la.

Anyway, I just upgraded the computation for distance and bearing in the software for greater accuracy. Before this I was using an approximation which worked fine for me because I live very near the equator. With the current math, it should be good for almost everywhere except maybe if you happen to be directly on the North Pole, in which case, you're stuck! I need to get it tested though.

Daniel

lol! Mo lek la.

LOL!!! :lol::lol:

Hey Daniel, I hope you are not going to reply back in Chinese again. I'm a typical "BANANA", yellow on the outside and white on the inside. :lol: Yeah I'm getting rusty... time for another trip back to HK!

Heheh ... over here we have to use all kinds of dialects all the time, kinda keeps it from getting too rusty.

Okay, just a bit more information - we're arranging to get the PCB's out to the fabricators and also trying to get it machine assembled - assembling SMT by hand is punishing! Anyway - the board will actually use a dsPIC30F4011 which has even more hardware resources - including a second UART among other things. This is good because it allows us to output telemetric data for a future downlink, for example. Anyway it's good news for the end-user.

Also, I managed to get hold of some of the hard to come by newer batch of Etek EB-85A GPS modules that have fixed the firmware bug. Older Etek modules would under certain conditions just go completely ga ga and lag up to 10 or 20 seconds, rendering any autopilot virtually useless or worse. The new firmware fixes this according to Etek. You can try to get some from Intelligent Flight if they have any left.

Lastly, I think I've finished all major code changes and I'm looking at release candidate 4.0 right now. Trying to get out as many fixes as possible before I release 4.0 with source code. I just need to make one more set of tests before release.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

Source Code!

Okay, for all you people who are waiting for it - here it is. Version 4.0 hex file AND source code. Note the following:-

The software is released with the understanding that no part thereof or derivative may be used in whole or in part, for pecuniary interests without express permission from Intelligent Flight. And if you do make changes and improvements, do share it with the community so as to make it more fun for everyone.

Code is compiled with MikroC for dsPIC - not fully independent of it's libraries yet but almost independent.

DragonOSD source code version 4.0

What's new/fixed in this version:-

1. Full Haversine computation for distance and heading. This yields the best accuracy at any latitude (except for the North Pole).

2. Flight log date and time record is now correct.

3. Recticle now scrolls more smoothly and accurately.

Also, the windows app to download the KML file:-

DownloadKML application 1.0

I have to say that this app is still a little quirky. Basically if you run it and nothing happens for a few seconds, just hit exit and run it again. Usually it works the second time. Don't ask me why, I'm too lazy to fully solve this at this time. If anyone is interested in the source code for this, I can also make it available. It is compiled in Visual C 6.0 with MFC.

Lastly, here's a sample of the KML file that gets downloaded. This is from today's short test flight. Log period is 15-seconds:-

Sample KML file (use Google Earth to view)

This project can be considered concluded but I am still continuing work on the improved board and design. The board should become available in just under a month if everything goes smoothly. I also tested the new GPS module and was unable to confuse it today but will continue to test it extensively.

Okay, we're open for questions.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

Update on the boards:

We're looking at approx $95 for the boards fully assembled and we'll be getting bob-4's for you a bit cheaper than retail :)

Boards are approx 3-4 weeks out. Still finding a source for one of the components which Mouser no longer stock.

OK guys, forgive me for jumping in here late, but I have a couple questions:

So you're saying $95 for the assembled board, and we'll also need the bob-4 which looks to be in the $100 range, right?

Where will this be sold?

I REALLY like this OSD.

Any way to implement scrolling altitude on the right similar to the scrolling heading? :D

The scrolling altitude is doable BUT if you are looking for pixel level scrolling, it's going to strain the BOB-4 board. I originally tried this and the BOB-4 seemed slow. Consequently it needs to be implemented manually, without using BOB-4S's windowing (viewport) functions.

Now that the source code is out there, it's simply a question of adding stuff to the DRAWOSD function and you're set. BTW, this dsPIC has a LOT of computing power left over so it should be able to handle it without breaking a sweat.

As for the BOB-4S, we're trying to get a good price for you guys on this, as good as we can anyway.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

Daniel first of all congratulations on your project, I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks now. I'm just a beginner here and will be getting this board and some other stuff also to get a Cularis in the air ASAP.

I alredy have rc-tech goggles and look forward to building my own FPV platform.

Can you please put a video of version 4.0? I really enjoy your videos and cannot wait to see the latest version with all the tweaks you made.

Saludos desde Mexico.

Hi garzo,

Glad to see you here. My hope is that the community will take the code and write more interesting and creative stuff for this board than I have already done. I am only providing a workable platform for people to work from. Hopefully in time, we'll see even better stuff for this board.

As for the video, my last video - the one where I ran out of battery - was mostly version 4.0. You won't see much difference except that the distances will be more accurate than before, and the "H" will scroll more smoothly. I also turned off the flashing of the "H" upon the suggestion of JettPilot. Most of the changes are too subtle to notice really. Also, the downloader for the log file now has correct information about the time and date.

That said, I will try to make another video tomorrow, if the weather holds out. I will try to see if I can get to 1km altitude again, on video this time.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

OK guys, forgive me for jumping in here late, but I have a couple questions:

So you're saying $95 for the assembled board, and we'll also need the bob-4 which looks to be in the $100 range, right?

Where will this be sold?

I REALLY like this OSD.

Any way to implement scrolling altitude on the right similar to the scrolling heading? :D

Hi Mr. Pibb,

It will be sold on the Intelligent Flight Store until we can get the DragonOSD website up, any of our distributors will be welcome to stock it as well.

http://www.rangevideo.com - North america

http://www.rc-tech.ch - Europe

http://www.intelligentflight.com.au - Anywhere not blocked by Australian trade sanctions.