My little NAV/OSD project - under construction

40? You're a youngster Daniel! I'm 40 plus 3 months! That's ancient according to my kids! :lol:

There's a retirement community here in Florida that caters to R/C modelers. They have their own flying field and everything. I think I need to get a fake driver's license and dye my hair white. Then I can move in and make use of the facilities! Those Saturday night Bingo parties with the grandmothers are sounding good! :P

http://www.ontopoftheworldcommunities.com/...cairplanes.html

Btw, I soldered heavier gauge wire between the solder pads and current sensor. The current meter works great and the power to the motor is perfect. I can't wait to maiden this puppy! :D:D

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40? You're a youngster Daniel! I'm 40 plus 3 months! That's ancient according to my kids!  :lol:

There's a retirement community here in Florida that caters to R/C modelers. They have their own flying field and everything. I think I need to get a fake driver's license and dye my hair white. Then I can move in and make use of the facilities! Those Saturday night Bingo parties with the grandmothers are sounding good! :P

http://www.ontopoftheworldcommunities.com/...cairplanes.html

Btw, I soldered heavier gauge wire between the solder pads and current sensor. The current meter works great and the power to the motor is perfect. I can't wait to maiden this puppy!  :D  :D

WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! A old foggie place for RCers? Hey I gotta dye my hair white too and rig up a fake DL!!!! Only in America.... gotta love it!!! :D

Daniel.... Sounds like a nasty cold where it's taking a toll on the old immune system. Better drink lots of water/juice and good ol congee with eggs in the mornings! Stay away from oily stuff too and I hope you gett lots of rest instead of doing the camera test for all of us. Typical Danile... always thinking of us first. :)

Edited by JMS

Some updates - the shipment of BOB-4SG's have arrived. Also, the factory should be getting the components today and will be assembling the boards.

In the meantime, I made another video, this time using one of the new cameras that I've been testing, these are only 20mm x 20mm. I also used a SONY Handycam to record the flight because the Panasonic I had before didn't like the Lawmate receiver for some reason. This is another trip to the island, mainly to test the camera more than anything else. The time was the same as my last island flight but this morning it was heavily overcast and really cloudy. As such, I could not test the effect of the sun on the camera. Even so, the camera amazingly held all the cloud details at every point in the flight.

FPV Flight 10 (WMV, 64MB)

Daniel

Daniel,

That camera looks pretty good! I don't think you mentioned what brand/model the camera was. It would be nice if some of the web pages that sell this type of stuff start carrying this camera! The dynamic range is great, it seems to be good even when the sun is in the field of view!

BTW, what video editing software are you using? If it has a "deinterlace" option you can get red of those horizontal lines in the prop and in other moving objects. I typically use Windows Movie Maker to output my videos to DV-AVI, and then I use virtualdub to recompress with XVID while running some filters such as deinterlacing. It helps to smooth out some of that stuff.

I'm anxiously awaiting the availability of the full DragonOSD systems!

Mr.Pibb

The factory just wrote to say that they'll be sending the boards to me next Monday so things are moving a bit there.

As for the cameras - these aren't available anywhere that I know of. I'm just testing it to see if it's up to par and as a potential replacement for the venerable KX-131/151. This is the best that I have come up with so far. The camera is small, cased - 20mm x 20mm, compared to the cased KX-131 (30mm x 25mm) and 10g lighter. It's 1/3" CCD to boot and seems to out perform the KX-131 in every way, plus the DSP is standard SONY stuff so we can even tweak it's parameters if we want to.

I edit using SONY Vegas Video 7.0. My earlier problems with the video was due to some incompatibility between the receiver and the Panasonic DVX analogue converter. What was essentially happening was that the RG color burst was not being recognized for some reason, or dropped. It could be due to the way it was handling the interlace but I've not found any setting to get around the problem. So, I finally bought a SONY Handycam and that's working beautifully as a recorder.

My videos are de-interlaced and it doesn't create the red issues. It does however soften the images somewhat, but produce a smoother video. This way, there are less compression artefacts at the loss of some sharpness.

I have uploaded a non-de-interlaced version of the same flight (11) so you can see the sharpness of this camera. There are more compression artefacts though.

FPV Flight 11 (interlaced WMV, 58MB)

Below you can see a minimally compressed clip. This is of the worst direct sun exposure I could find:-

Camera AVI clip, 74MB

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee
My videos are de-interlaced and it doesn't create the red issues.

Well, actually if I take a still from the supposedly deinterlaced one:

One can see some weird stuff on the prop. It's not real interlacing as that would be one line /2, but there's definitely some weird stuff happening and the deinterlacing filter doing something wrong...

I guess that's what he was talking about

post-6-1191342442_thumb.jpg

I don't think you mentioned what brand/model the camera was. It would be nice if some of the web pages that sell this type of stuff start carrying this camera! The dynamic range is great, it seems to be good even when the sun is in the field of view!

It's something intelligent flight is working on with a manufacturer, getting customised settings specifically for FPV. We hope our distributors will pickup the camera so everyone can have such awesome video without the sky looking like a glowing ball!

I was very pessimistic about this camera, not sure how they could get all the KX-131/151 do into a a smaller, lighter package and have better resolution, sharpness and dynamic range. Daniel has constantly been showing me pictures from it, and me retorting with requests for in flight video - flight 10 i asked for another inflight video because it wasnt so great with all the smog.

Now, i'm really looking forward to getting these happening. if you look through the video you'll nice you can clearly see detail on the trees/buildings in the distance and below while also seeing the puffyness/spots of clouds without any trouble. This is mind blowing for me and i'd think most others who are used to never getting this even in ideal conditions!

I think what you're seeing is also he down-rezzing artefacts. I downsized the video to 640x480 and at the same time upped the 25fps to 30fps for the WMV. Unless that's from the AVI, I think it's probably more the downsizing that's causing the weird interlace lines. Take at look at the AVI file I posted. It should be better.

Secondly, I think Mr. Pibbs was referring to color distortion like I used to see with the Panasonic - horizontal red lines.

Actually, now with the SONY Handycam, I don't have those problems anymore so that's resolved for me anyway. I usually render in progressive (non-interlaced) because it looks nicer for me, but you lose some sharpness when you render the video that way.

Daniel

Daniel,

Kilrah had it right, the lines in the prop resemble what I usually see as an interlaced source being converted to a standard PC format without being "deinterlaced". He's also right that it doesn't look normal. I wonder if your deinterlace filter isn't being applied after the video has been resized and the framerate changed. I wasn't thinking about the fact that it could have started out as a PAL source.

It's not that big of a deal anyway, I just think that the non de-interlaced videos are a little harder to watch. If you have a way to run the deinterlace filter before you resize it and change the frame rate you may see what I mean.

But hey, this is about your awesome OSD and that great little camera, not about video editing, right?! :D

Just to clarify how it can make a difference...the original video is on the right and the deinterlaced video is on the left. It also shows that the KX131 I have doesn't handle the bright sky as well as that camera you are trying out! :lol:

deinterlaced.jpg

Ah... if it's about simple de-interlacing then I didn't de-interlace 11b and the AVI because it is sharper that way. I think the original #11 was de-interlaced. I thought you meant something about color problems etc.

* P.S. This might be slightly OT but it's good entertainment until I get my hands on those boards next week.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

Only slightly off topic? A bit like an airliner at cruise altitude is slightly off the ground? :D

I think that when you're getting the video onto you're pc - the video is interlaced, you need to de-interlace before you do any resizing or editing. When the propwill look like in Mr Pibb's picture above rather than all lined and crappy.

Interlacing on save is a completely different issule

I'll probably get done with everything by next Monday, then they go off to Mark in Perth for sale.

In the meanwhile, just to show you how seriously we take testing of our products - here's our latest, er... impact testing ...

Death of a Phoenix (WMV, 28MB)

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

>here's our latest, er... impact testing ...

haha you too!!

I was out flying today, killed a motor while climbing continuisly,

not the first I killed this way, but I broke my old height record so it was worth it !!

yes I got a video from over the skyes, wow

Those boards look awesome.

Some headers might need re-aligning a little bit (the factory was quite eager to get those shipped). :D

Luckily, for me there will be a lot less headers as i will not be going for OSD, did I mention that? However still waiting to test that with bob4 (to have "been there, seen that")

I am still looking forward to your updated schematics so i can post the simplified version of the board. You can call it DragonLite or whatever, since there will be no OSD :)

I am still looking for radio link options cheaper than the maxstream modules so i can use them to transmit the instrument data to the ground.