My little NAV/OSD project - under construction

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably get done with everything by next Monday, then they go off to Mark in Perth for sale.

If you look very closely at the boards in the picture, I think I can see my name on one of those :D

JettPilot

P.S. If I send payment to intelligent flight, any way to skip shipping one all the way to Perth and back again, and just send to me here in the US ?

If you look very closely at the boards in the picture, I think I can see my name on one of those :D

JettPilot

P.S. If I send payment to intelligent flight, any way to skip shipping one all the way to Perth and back again, and just send to me here in the US ?

Yeahhhhh I do see Jet's name on there etch in copper! :)

Darn factory etching names into boards AGAIN! i'll have to give them what for!

It's only 2 days to get to me... Daniel lives closer to me than people on the other side of Australia :P

Okay, just some updates for you guys:-

1. BOB-4SG's received (15 units), and prepared for assembly (jumpering)

2. DragonOSD boards - SL11, SL12 headers removed (factory mistakenly put those in)

3. 11 DragonOSD boards headers re-worked (factory mistake in orientation, leading to poor fitting)

4. 20 mini-outboard regulators (for BOB-4SG) etched

5. 1 complete RTF module assembled for testing

The test was SUCCESSFUL! Ie. there are no design mistakes on the board. GPS data shows up. BOB-4SG is receiving commands from the DragonOSD, which is in turn receiving data from the GPS. This is looking very good.

Todo:

1. Need to go buy battery holders

2. Need to populate the rest of the 19 regulator boards (waiting for Farnell order)

3. Need to hook up the rest of the boards with the remaining 14 BOB-4SG's

4. Need to buy 40 more hex-spacers to inter-lock the two boards

Question:

How do you guys like the terminating cable to look like? There will be 4 wires coming out of this module - 2 for power (up to 16V) and 2 for video (in and out). Do you want me to put connectors on these or perhaps just wires without connectors?

Daniel

Daniel,

Like many I have been following this thread with great expectation and interest.

Just one question. I would like an OSD with just GPS data but with the overlay done on the ground so I don't have to carry the OSD in the 'plane. It is my intention to use the audio channel on my video link to transmit the GPS sentences but that is limited to 4800baud. Would I be able to use the DragonOSD with a GPS input running at such a low speed?

regards Peter

Hi Peter,

Well, I think if you can get the 4800baud data down to the ground, then yes it should work - however, I don't think you'll be able to get 5Hz data update rate with that slow speed. I think you need it to be at least 19600 or 38400 to get 5Hz updates.

Why don't you want the OSD onboard? If it is for recording, you can actually turn the display off when you don't need it. It will still run in the background.

Another option you can try is to use some of those wireless serial modules. There are quite a few that act as transparent serial links with higher baud rates. If you do that, however, you may as well be putting the OSD onboard after all.

Daniel

Also, the BOB4 might get lost easily with a ground-based overlay. I don't know how it works, but like the IFOSD it most likely uses the line syncs to know where it is on the frame and when to draw what. When feeding a source that has gone through a RF link, the slightest disturbance that will lose line syncs or give extra ones will knock it off. It doesn't need much to give an unusable picture.

Question:

How do you guys like the terminating cable to look like? There will be 4 wires coming out of this module - 2 for power (up to 16V) and 2 for video (in and out). Do you want me to put connectors on these or perhaps just wires without connectors?

Daniel

I like wires... I solder everything in the plane and leave it there, its lighter that way but mostly its more reliable. No connectors to worry about comming loose, or getting dirty.

JetPilot

Hahah! Some more good news. With the latest MikroElektronika compiler - the code size has shrunk by almost 50%. This means that there is 46% free ROM space left to write whatever additional functions that you want! Woo!hoo! This means now we have lots of upward growth capacity - I could even put a playable PACMAN game inside now!

Daniel

Maybe controlling the pacman with the stick in flight could do for a nice aerobatics programme? :blink:

Wow, 50% is SOME improvement! Impressive!

Edited by Kilrah

Yea, I should use 0.8 but I had the 1.6mm on hand so I used it.

My neck is killing me but:-

1. All regulators mounted onto the OSD board

2. All battery holders mounted onto the OSD board

Next step is to hook it up to the BOB-4SG. Probably won't get finished until tomorrow.

Daniel

Yea, I should use 0.8 but I had the 1.6mm on hand so I used it.

My neck is killing me but:-

1. All regulators mounted onto the OSD board

2. All battery holders mounted onto the OSD board

Next step is to hook it up to the BOB-4SG. Probably won't get finished until tomorrow.

Daniel

Hey if I were in the neighborhood, I wouldn't hesitate to come over with my soldering station and give you a helping hand! I know what you mean about that soar neck problem from haunching over too long ;)

More updates, 15 RTF modules and 5 ARTF board:-

DSC_6488.jpg

Now I need to flash the software for them all and run tests on each of them.

Daniel

p.s. John, if you were in the neighbourhood, we'd probably end up going flying and not get anything done.

Edited by Daniel Wee

The crystal is soldered but apparently not fully seated. I've fixed that now. Need to talk to the factory guys about their QC.

Right now I've run into a slight problem - the image compiled by the new mE compiler, while smaller, doesn't seem to work. I need to do some debugging tonight to make it work or I'll have to revert to the compile from the previous compiler version.

Daniel