My little NAV/OSD project - under construction

Daniel,

Oh my! I feel right at home at this forum, Rc Groups isn't geeky enough and in my homecountry (The Netherlands) there's no forum that deals with anything like this at all. Let me start off by complimenting you on a great job, it is just awesome to have all these features packed into such a small package. Open sourcing the project, as mentioned in the topic, is a great way to keep the price down and allow others to tinker with the code and maybe even improve upon it.

Will you be offering schematics as well? I can see possibilities for creating even smaller PCBs that also fit a 500mW 2.4GHz RF transmitter, for example based on the Airwave modules. If needed I'd be happy to help as I'm an electronic engineer by profession, although I usually deal with PC related stuff and audio and have plenty of experience with designing small footprint, high density boards that run on GHz clockspeeds.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well - I knew it was too good to be true. Turns out that I didn't have everything installed correctly and so the compiler was acting weird when it told me I had 45% ROM free, which is crazy because I had 5% left with my previous version. Now I got the code working again but we're back to 5% free. I should re-write some more functions in assembly and optimize them some more to cut the memory usage down. In any case, the boards are working again after that slight problem with the image.

Daniel

Okay, solved another weird problem. Turns out it was some leakage current from my small TV which I was using as a monitor and that was causing some erratic behaviour. Now that that's settled, the code works - all the passthroughs have been tested.

Now, I need to calibrate the voltmeters. Then make the current sensor and calibrate that as well. And we're done.

Daniel

Nice work docphi! We need videos of the thing in flight!!!

Update: All boards completely assembled and programmed without errors or faults. I just need to run a few more tests because I want to be as sure as I can that none of them are faulty. Tomorrow I will run more power testing and then they're off to Perth. I can tell you that working on so many boards at once isn't fun!

Daniel

Test flight with video tomorrow. One thing I noticed, my R/C transmitter will swamp the OSD and cause glitching if it's right next to it. I move it a foot away and all is well. Range test is good. Interesting because the R/C receiver is PCM. I should try it with a PPM receiver.

Mark - Good one! :D I seem to work on this stuff in the early morning after a shift in the ER. It helps me unwind. Can you imagine if I went into a patient's room with a soldering iron, oscilloscope, and a reflow toaster? :lol:

Edited by docphi

Docphi,

Looks nice! Ps. do any of you use Eagle for PCB design? If so I'd be happy to help out, I often have some time to spare and love tinkering with layouts. It is the puzzling and fiddling with pads, traces and ICs that calms me. I do it professionally, but most of the stuff I do doesn't need to be super small or super slick in terms of routing. For this weight and size are essential, hence I'd love to give it a go.

Cheers,

Sander.

Alright, I knew I had a PIC programmer tucked away somewhere from another project, and I just dug it out of my 'assorted bits and pieces' drawer. This is a cheap yet full featured programmer and should work with the ds30F4011/4012.

http://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-tinyicd2.html

I'm real eager to get started guys, but all of the files that used to be in this topic have been pulled offline :unsure:

Cheers,

Sander.

Oh, darn, I need to put that up. But yes, the home reset will also zero the altitude. I've been so busy (with real life work) I've not been keeping track much of what I've put up. I should get round to that but I do have a menu function that lets you force a reset of the home position.

Daniel

p.s. I've updated the files here Version 4.1. Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

p.p.s. Just an update - all the modules are programmed and ready to be sent out but I want to do one more round of testing but haven't gotten round to them due to real life work. Hope to get it done maybe tomorrow.

Edited by Daniel Wee

Okay guys, I know this is the announcement you've all been waiting for - the units are already on the way to Australia even as I type. They should get to Mark by Monday. Note that here are only 15 RTF units available at this point, and 2 non-RTF boards. Now would be the time to start asking Mark to reserve one for you if you haven't done so. All I know now is that most of the 15 modules have been spoken for.

Daniel

p.s. If you want to have a look at the DragonOSD manual I'm working on, you can get it here.

Edited by Daniel Wee

This is an amazingly generous gesture to make the source and compiled code, circuits and instruction manual available for all to use privately. I have been intrigued to be able to have a look thorugh the source and although not a C programmer I can learn a great deal as to how you have done for instance the compass reticule.

Thank you Daniel - I hope that all your hardwork will be worthwhile.

regards Peter :)

Daniel,

I recall somewhere is this thread you mentioned the DragonOSD would be able to use Intelligentflight's current sensor. Is this still a possibility?

Congrats on finishing the initial run of boards. My eyes are blurry from just thinking about it! :D

Hi docphi,

Unfortunately it cannot be done without some modifications. Basically what happened is that there seems to be a resistor on the IF current sensor board which is used as part of a voltage divider. This is due to the fact that the IFOSD's ADCs runs on a 1V reference whereas the DragonOSD runs off 3.3V.

What is needed, therefore, is to actually short over that particular resistor and then it will work. The cabling will also need to be juggled to match.

Daniel

Ok so Daniel sent the Dragons via DHL. This i did not expect so they got here this morning.

Ordering OSD's

We'll be putting the Dragon on the store today, as well as the pages on the IF site and a basic page on the dragonosd.com website (currently nothing there.. don't bother looking :P ).

How we are going to do this is:

We have a list of those who have requested OSD modules. The OSD's will be marked as out of stock on the site but you will be able to backorder. When you order the module and any accesories be sure to put in the notes field your forum username or the name that we will have you marked down as if it is different to your use login on the webstore - this way we know that you have one reserved and can send it straight to you.

Anyone can backorder these, in fact we encourage it! Those who backorder yet haven't placed their name down will get the first ones off the next production run (starting soon!). The next production run should be much quicker than the last and will come directly to Australia. Your backorder payments will be much appreciated to help cover production costs (we have many tens of thousands of dollars tied up in our various products in production!). The next batch will be on the website at a higher price, the price they go up for this time is purely introductory - so by back ordering your not only reserving one, but saving yourself some money too!

Modding OSD's

Those wanting to mod the code or play around with stuff but not buy the compiler which Daniel uses - it's not cheap - will be very excited to know we're working on a web based compiler/project manager. We're waiting on the guys at MikroE to make some changes to it for us so we can do this, it should be done in about a month i am told. You'll still need your own programmer of course, however you will be able to upload your source code - even modify it online - and compile it down to a hex file. You can then download the hex once the compilation is finished, or view the list of errors encountered. In the future we plan to have SVN and such - but that's much further down the track when we get some free time!!

The source code will be under a modified GPL license, with the only changes being that it prohibits selling the source code or any derivative there of. This will mean that if someone asks for your source you must give it to them, and free of charge. We do this to promote the community and advancing of the OSD's feature set.

Edited by Mark Harris