Sign in to follow this  
Vrflyer

50Mhz antenna lenght question

I own a Futaba T6XA set on 50MHZ band. I never got a good range with this radio, many glitchs. I just check it and was surprise with the lenght of the antenna look similar to 72MHZ receiver.

I place two receivers Futaba FP-127DF side to side, one is tune on 72 MHZ band and the other one on 50 MHZ band. The two antennas have the same lenght, only half inches difference. Is it normal?

two antennas have the same length, only half inches difference. Is it normal?

It is normal. The length of an R/C antenna is chosen for convenience, not for RF efficiency. Yes, you could change the length to a 1/4 wave (~56 inches) and then re-tune the Rx's antenna matching coil. But that may only add to the problem if the interference is from other users.

FWIW, if you are experiencing unusual interference on 50Mhz, you might be suffering from competing transmitters in the area. Try borrowing a scanner to see what is on your frequency. If you find other users, just pick a six meter R/C channel that is "quiet."

However, if your problem is not caused by RF band competition, then I suspect your Futaba R/C receiver has a bad ceramic filter in it (not an usual issue) or has some other defect.

Thanks Mr RC-cam for your clear explication.

About the range, I was in open feild. It don't look to be a popular band here, radio are available on special order because of the Amateur radio license requirement.

Also the receiver is new. I think now it's because of the metal indutry locate near I take off, I got problem here on 72MHZ band. This year is never been so bad. perhaps it's the same cause, anyway i will move further, I want open feild with no house and very few cars passing to fly my Cap232, it will be an ideal spot to verify if interference persist on 50Mhz and 72Mhz band.