Arthur P.

Hacking the I2C interface of Spektrum DX and AR ?

It is found on the P (positive PPM out) and the N (negative PPM out) pads.

Of course!!! Duhh....apologies for the blond moment.

Thanks for your patience.

Edited by OneCanCook

Ok, I worked it in.....^_^

For the AR6100 the sequence is as follows:

1) Aile

2) Aux1

3) Gear

4) Elev

5) Thro

6) Rudd

So you will need to hook up the RUDD channel to P1-7. I tried it out and I get all chennels out and clear on the scope. It should work for you as well.

I dont know if you can make channel assignments for the DF because you cannot change the sequence above (ie. channel 1 is Aile, channel 2 is Aux1, etc). For the MK, the configuration tool allows us to assign any channel to any function so the sequence is not important.

Richard

Edited by brashley

Thanks to brashley, it looks like you are set to go.

Too bad the 6100's logical end-channel is not the last physical channel. With the mixed up channel order, the end-pin plug idea won't be practical.

Thanks to brashley, it looks like you are set to go.

Too bad the 6100's logical end-channel is not the last physical channel. With the mixed up channel order, the end-pin plug idea won't be practical.

Thanks to you too for your fine work with the PPM converter!

I can live with crossing over a channel...its a small price to pay for using the 6100.

Do you see any advantage with using the 7000? Is there a benefit to using the second module apart from the obvious?

Do you see any advantage with using the 7000?

I'm a horribly unqualified person to ask since I don't have a MK (still a dream to get one) and I don't fly with Spektrum. The only reason I'm involved with the PPM interface is because I saw some folks struggling to use the Spektrum radio with their MK and I volunteered to help. So, I have to leave the tough questions for the other fellows.

I'm a horribly unqualified person to ask since I don't have a MK (still a dream to get one) and I don't fly with Spektrum. The only reason I'm involved with the PPM interface is because I saw some folks struggling to use the Spektrum radio with their MK and I volunteered to help. So, I have to leave the tough questions for the other fellows.

All the more credit to you for helping out with this challenge. Your selfless actions are an inspiration to me.

I hope I can be of service at some point.

-RANGE-

Thanks Brashley,

Found an interesting experiment here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783753

While the results appear to reveal a difference in range of about 20-25%, I would not use these results as a reference since conditions can change dramatically. The conclusions were that the 7000 had a (straight line) range of about 2.8 miles and the 6100 about 2.2...hmm. All I want for range is about half a mile. After that I can't discern orientation so the whole game becomes a case of sheer luck anyway! I suppose I could get someone to monitor the orientation with a spotter scope but frankly, I would not find it fun flying like this. So I think I will stick to flying within my line of sight (600m).

The new wiring looks fine to me, except for the P1-7 input (see below).

Long story short, if you end up missing some servo channels while in the MK setup software then that would hint that the P1-7 is not correctly connected to the logical "last" servo channel.

Hello again....got back to working on the PPM converter after some unavoidable work.

With respect to the quote above. I am not sure if i have missed something here but exactly what were you refering to when you mentioned "MK setup software" - is this some program I should download or were you refering to the usual transmitter model configuration settings?

I understand that there is some PC software that is used to setup the MK (MikroKopter), such as assign channel configurations and many other things. If you don't have a MK then please ignore my comment.

I understand that there is some PC software that is used to setup the MK (MikroKopter), such as assign channel configurations and many other things. If you don't have a MK then please ignore my comment.

I am using Mike Dammar's PWB (from spectrolutions) - I am not aware of any software. Thanks

I am using Mike Dammar's PWB (from spectrolutions) - I am not aware of any software.

The servo pulse train sequence from the Spektrum system is not the same as a traditional JR system. The MK accommodates this by allowing the user to re-assign the channel order on the controller board using the PC based software configuration tools. How does yours handle this issue?

The servo pulse train sequence from the Spektrum system is not the same as a traditional JR system. The MK accommodates this by allowing the user to re-assign the channel order on the controller board using the PC based software configuration tools. How does yours handle this issue?

OK. Just so I am clear about this.

Controller board - This is the PWB from spectrolutions?

If this is in fact the case then I do not have the necessary software tools and will set about finding these so that I can do the channel reasignment.

Otherwise I will be relying on the PWB's interpretation of the pulse train sequence as received from the PPM converter.

Does this make sense to you?

Hi Brashley/Mr RC-Cam,

Could you please comment on the following if possible:

I completed the connections from the AR6100 to the PPM converter and plugged it into the Flt CTr PWB for a cold test (no ESCs connected). I then took a screen grab of the oscilloscope (which was not easy since I had no reference to trigger from) and I have included the pic for you to evaluate and hopefully confirm as correct.

1 When i connect power to the PWB - the LED on the PPM converter lights up then goes off.

2 On the PWB - the red LED appears to strobe somewhat. I am not sure whether this is due to the Flt Ctlr not being setup fully or something else.

Thanks very much.

post-4929-1231930979_thumb.jpg

Edited by OneCanCook

Controller board - This is the PWB from spectrolutions?

Yes, that is what I mean. I don't know the MK/QC slang for the various model parts. The electronic brain that is installed on the model is what I call the host or flight controller board.

...took a screen grab of the oscilloscope...

I only count five channels in the screen print. But what I see looks good. It would be better to use a slower scope timebase so that all six channels can be seen.

1. That is good.

2. I can't help with the LED on the host flight control board. I'll leave this one for Brashley since he is the expert about such things.

Yes, that is what I mean. I don't know the MK/QC slang for the various model parts. The electronic brain that is installed on the model is what I call the host or flight controller board.

OK. I have looked all over the spectrolutions website for any software to perform channel assginment without success. I hope Brashley might be able to help here.

I only count five channels in the screen print. But what I see looks good. It would be better to use a slower scope timebase so that all six channels can be seen.

Hope the attached scan is more like what you would expect.

2. I can't help with the LED on the host flight control board. I'll leave this one for Brashley since he is the expert about such things.

I'll wait for Brashley's input here. Thanks.

post-4929-1231973300_thumb.jpg

Edited by OneCanCook

Hope the attached scan is more like what you would expect.

Looks good, I see all six channels in that one.

Given that you don't have PC software to configure it, my guess is that you will need to have the Flight Controller loaded with different firmware that supports the channel order of your R/C system.

Given that you don't have PC software to configure it, my guess is that you will need to have the Flight Controller loaded with different firmware that supports the channel order of your R/C system.

I will email Mike Dammar regarding the controller software. Hopefully he will be able to help with his own product.

I am very close to connecting up all motors and beginning testing. I just want to make sure that I have covered all preparatory issues first.

Thanks again.

OK. I have looked all over the spectrolutions website for any software to perform channel assginment without success. I hope Brashley might be able to help here.

Sorry, cant help with this. I use the Mikrokopter boards and SW. The spectrolutions board looks Dragonfly quad board like. That is why I mentioned it before when I looked at your picture. Lets hope he can help you or you may end up very unhappy.

Yes, it looks like you are missing a channel. Make sure you have the RUDD hooked up as your 7th channel on the converter.

Richard

Edited by brashley

Hi Richard,

I use the Mikrokopter boards and SW. The spectrolutions board looks Dragonfly quad board like.

Richard

Is this board the same as seen on the Lipoly.de site?

Yes, it looks like you are missing a channel. Make sure you have the RUDD hooked up as your 7th channel on the converter.

Richard

Is this comment related to post#293? - because I took a second screen grab of the scope which I thought displayed all channels correctly.

The Mikrokopter board was my first choice but unfortunately the European Xchange rate was rather prohibitive so I took the cheaper option. Hopefully it will all work out.

Since this purchase I have been working Arduino chips and I plan to develop my next Quad around the Arduino with my own software but this may take some time due to the inconvenience of having to earn a living in between.

Thanks for the help.

Is this board the same as seen on the Lipoly.de site?

No, Lipoly has the UAVP platform board. The Mikrokopter is at http://www.mikrokopter.com/ucwiki

Is this comment related to post#293? - because I took a second screen grab of the scope which I thought displayed all channels correctly.

Sorry, my mistake. I forgot we were dealing with only 6 channels. So that looks good.

The Mikrokopter board was my first choice but unfortunately the European Xchange rate was rather prohibitive so I took the cheaper option.

You can always just get the bare boards and populate them yourself.... Much cheaper that way.

Richard

Hi again all, I had no idea this thread was active again.

Just as an interesting side note to my system.

I have a spektrum module plugged into a Futaba 9ZAP

I use a spektrum AR7000 receiver

Platform is the MK

There must be something different in this setup compared to he DX7 because I can only get 6 channels working in MK tools. But the other channel is working if I y-cable a servo into the "signal" line that runs from the receiver to the ppm converter. So I just use that one channel for my shutter release.

I am not sure why i don't get the 7th channel and you would think it's cause I don't have rudder on the correct channel. well I can put any of the channels in any order and it all works the same as it does now (6 out of seven channels) So long as I have them all plugged in to the receiver it gives me the 6 channels.

Now I am not saavy enough (yet) to dig into this farther cause hey it works and I am happy. Though any suggestions are always appreciated.

On a different topic

Has anyone gotten any farther on using the satellite ANT to dig out the ppm stream? The reason I ask is that I am transmitting 8 channels with the spektrum module but only using 7. It would be nice to get that extra channel one day.

well I can put any of the channels in any order and it all works the same as it does now (6 out of seven channels)

Assuming you have the V3 board, any random order would definitely not be a good thing. For sure, the Rx's last logical channel (rudder on the AR7000) must be on the PPM board's P1-7 pin (see schematic). Also, if the failsafe PIC is used, the Rx's throttle channel must go to the correct place too, per the PPM board's JP1 jumper configuration that you used. Beyond that, any physical channel order is fine and you can mix as you please without affecting the logical channel order.

Since the same channel is missing, regardless of how you plug in the channel order on the PPM board, then I think it is safe to say that you don't have a PPM board hardware problem. So, there must be something weird on the MK side. BTW, which channel is missing?