Attention: RC-CAM.com will be closing down August 2021.

The RC-Cam.com forum was the very first online community dedicated to the advancement of wireless video cameras on radio controlled (R/C) models. This is now called "FPV" (First Person View). We are proud of the contributions that our members have made to the FPV hobby.

We've seen significant changes over the last twenty years. Initially there were a lot of eager R/C hobbyist that built their own video systems. Allowing these creative individuals to share their work was the purpose of this site. Now the FPV market is flooded with low cost systems; Sadly DiY FPV video projects are now rarely discussed.

RC-CAM.com (main site and forum) will be closing down August 2021. This is being announced now (March 2021) so that everyone has time to download any information that is important to them. After the site is shutdown the information will no longer be available here.

We appreciate every member's involvement with advancing the FPV hobby. It is indeed sad to say goodbye to all our online friends. Be safe and stay healthy.

That looks fantastic Mr.RC-Cam. Yep, that SOT is about the size of 5 fleas.

I would imagine since we had no problems with the failsafe working in the PIC12F509 between the DX6 and the DX7 that the timing limits between the two is fairly close and that your code for the PIC10F should work equally well for both as well. :D

Richard

Edited by brashley
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... the two is fairly close and that your code for the PIC10F should work equally well for both as well.

The memory space on the PIC10F is much smaller, so I had to create new code to fit it in. So, it's never as simple as it seems. :)

Truth be told, the version I created for the PIC12F509 was really just to help out the ongoing efforts with the V2 interface. I knew brashley had some, because of our recent rework of the PanCam firmware. I never intended to use that part with the MK PPM interface, but it shared some routines from another project and it wasn't a hardship to re-purpose the code.

For some reason they don't want to guarantee shipping outside of the US and Canada. So here I am with my high Euro/low Dollar and I can't even buy US stuff (even accepting excessive customs taxes in the bargain)..... Guess I-ll have to wait until united have them back in stock ;=))

You can get them form Horizon Hobby http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Defau...?ProdID=SPM9545

They also have extensions for the receivers

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Defau...?ProdID=SPM9012

Richard

Hi Guys, Sorry I don't have anything to add to this, but following your discussion, I have a similar problem with trying to Hack a board for a Walkera UAVP. Arthur P has already seen my questions in the other forum, but for a lack of funding, I now find that buying a UAVP board already populated and designed for brushless motors is my best approach.

I can't read German, so don't have a clue what I was trying to look at, do any of you have any details on where I can purchase a ready made UAVP board that will control 4 brushless motors with a DX6 radio?

I don't have a problem assembling parts, but I don't know enough about all this to know what parts I need to buy to make it work. It would be nice if there was a Pre Populated controller board that had everything including the gyro's, and all I had to do was attach my DX and brushless motors.

Do any of you know where I can find such a board?

Vic

-AT-Victor, Assuming your located in the USA: http://www.quadroufo.com/ Look under Flight Controler for the populated board. I would suggest that you check with them whether you an use the AR6x00 and/or AR7x00. I believe the UAVP had problems with the latter due to the unusual sequence of the channels. Also check whether the ESCs you want to use will work if you want to use PWM control. You can of course use Holgers, YGExxi-s, or converted TowerPro 18A, 25A, or 30A ESCs over I2C/TWI.

Note that there are two threads here on UAVP and/or Mikrokopter under Floobydust. E.g. http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2524.

Edited by Arthur P.
@Victor, Assuming your located in the USA: http://www.quadroufo.com/ Look under Flight Controler for the populated board. I would suggest that you check with them whether you an use the AR6x00 and/or AR7x00. I believe the UAVP had problems with the latter due to the unusual sequence of the channels. Also check whether the ESCs you want to use will work if you want to use PWM control. You can of course use Holgers, YGExxi-s, or converted TowerPro 18A, 25A, or 30A ESCs over I2C/TWI.

Note that there are two threads here on UAVP and/or Mikrokopter under Floobydust. E.g. http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2524.

Hi Arthur, My DX6 radio can only use the stock AR6000 Rx. The DX6i and DX7 are the ones that use an AR6100 or above.

I sent them an email to ask if their product will support my DX6 radio system. I guess it's too early in the morning there. I Hope to receive something from them by tomorrow.

I was also looking at http://www.lipoly.de/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=5750 Do you think this will do what I need?

Hi Victor, I didn't check completely, but I think you're pointing to the same set as the US shop is offering. I expect you'll have it quicker and with less hassle with e.g. customs when you order there. And it will get you English language support from them.

Hi Victor, I didn't check completely, but I think you're pointing to the same set as the US shop is offering. I expect you'll have it quicker and with less hassle with e.g. customs when you order there. And it will get you English language support from them.

Thanks Arthur, I went there and checked it out. and I can actually read it. They had a couple choices, and I have asked them about their basic board, but haven't heard back from them yet. I asked them if my DX6 and AR6000 would work with it. I hope they reply soon, I would like to get this thing in the air.

Thanks Arthur, I went there and checked it out. and I can actually read it. They had a couple choices, and I have asked them about their basic board, but haven't heard back from them yet. I asked them if my DX6 and AR6000 would work with it. I hope they reply soon, I would like to get this thing in the air.

You could also do a search for DX6 and AR6000 in the forum on http://www.uavp.de/ . It is one of the frustrating forums where you have to register before being allowed in. But it does supply a lot of info on the UAVP system, and will get you a lot of support if you post quesions there. I don't believe they're too strict on the use of German.

You could also do a search for DX6 and AR6000 in the forum on http://www.uavp.de/ . It is one of the frustrating forums where you have to register before being allowed in. But it does supply a lot of info on the UAVP system, and will get you a lot of support if you post quesions there. I don't believe they're too strict on the use of German.

I tried looking around there after I registered, but I didn't see any english in any of the topics.

I guess I will just keep knocking along till I figure this thing out

Thanks again Arthur

Vic

I tried looking around there after I registered, but I didn't see any english in any of the topics.

I guess I will just keep knocking along till I figure this thing out

Thanks again Arthur

Vic

Hi Vic,

Sorry about that. Haven't looked in that forum for a long time. I thought they did have a bit of an international section. There is currently a new UAVP parameters thread in www.RCGroups.com under Aerial Photography. If you post your question there, I expect you will get confirmation quickly.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I want to use a AR6000 or even an AR6300 with a DX6 TX on the new Alien Air Jump Jet. it's stock control is IR. a FM hack has been done by feeding the PPM stream directly into the Jump Jet main control board.

I have read all the pages here in this forum and I must say it was awesome to see the development of the PWM to PPM converter. I have learned a lot in that process. I am a Mechanical Designer though and don;t have too much serious electronics backround.

I'd like to use the V2. schematic and layout without the microcontroller. what would I have to do to modify it to work with 6 channels ? would I just remove the entire channel 7 parts ?

I really appreciate your help, and if there is anything I can do in return to help payback for the help let me know < 3D soldiworks designs, photo-rendering etc.. >

this is my info on RCgroups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=32806

David

Hi David. All you need to do is identify the last channel in the sequence (as the receiver spits it out, not sure on the AR6000 but RC-CAM might know, for the AR7000 it is the RUDD channel) and hook that up to the last channel on the converter (channel 7), the others don't matter in terms of order.

The channel 7 parts are needed to produce the final pulse on the falling edge of the last channel PWM signal. The rest of the pulses are generated from the rising edge of the other PWM channels. So if you have six PWM channels you need 7 PPM pulses (start and 6 for the channels)

I have an AR6000, if I get time I will check to see what the last channel is. I have just never checked before.

Richard

Edited by brashley
  • 3 months later...

I have extra blank PCB's (no components) from the one that is shown in post 200. This is the version with failsafe. I don't have assembly instructions, so the builder would need to be able to follow a schematic. The blank PCB's are $5 each plus shipping. You would need to gather the parts to stuff it (I may be able to help supply the parts that you cannot find from your vendor). If interested, please PM me (don't use email).

I think that Brashley has built all three versions of this hack. He may be able to advise which circuit is the best. So, it might be best to ask him what he recommends.

• 3 weeks later...

Attached are the schematic, BOM, and hex files for the PPM V3 Interface. It has been tested on a DX6's AR6000 and a DX7's AR7000.

The parts I used are from mouser.com and digikey.com. Assembly instructions are not provided. So, you'll have to use the schematic and your technical skills to create this little gem. If you've bought the custom PCB from me then the included photos should help you stuff the board.

If you don't want the failsafe feature them omit the PIC (U3) and jump U3-1 to U3-5. Of course R6, R7, and LED1 would not stuffed if the PIC is not installed.

AR7K_PPM_V3.zip

AR7K_PPM_HEX_V1.zip

post-2-1218650345_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the files,

I know that the FASST receiver generates an internal PPM signal, but it only contains 5 channels, that why I'm asking if the board works, but I think I'll figure it out as soon as it arrives ;)

Will keep you updated

Michael

Edited by tantive
Well today was "the" big day, the first outdoor testflights. Conditions were "near perfect": 8 degrees Centigrade, heavy overcast, and winds gusting to 45km/h (about 30 mph) :P But in view of the good stability the machines had shown during some indoor handheld testing, I decided to just go ahead. Of course all did not go completely as planned. APMk (Aerial Photography Multikopter, but also a jab at my initials APM) nr 1 had a wrong and incompletely charged battery, so only several short hops, but still it managed the wind quite well, immediately hanging into it as soon as it got light on its feet.

APMk nr 2 had a bit of a thump after the first hop due to my twitchiness on the controls and "lost a leg". But on a bit of a little slope it was stable enough on the remaining 3 to still do some more and increasingly long "hops", even going up to about 10 meters. And with a bit more weight, even more capable of handling the gusting winds. Really amazing. B)

Only APMk nr 3 didn't make it into the air as motor nr 1 wouldn't start for some reason. :(

All three have the Spektrum AR7000 on board, with the PWM2PPM v.2 converters. Work excellently !!! Thank you !!

More pics and details here:

http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-1023-2.html

and here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread....121#post9312892

Hi Arthur and all quad aficionados,

I am very much a newbie to the quad ranks. Having spent most of my time in Chopper & 3D designs over the last few years I am indeed excited to find so vibrant a group of enthusiasts exchanging ideas on what has to be the most enjoyable of pursuits.

The reason I am posting is that I too run a DX7 and would like to use an AR6000/7000 with Mike Dammar's PWB. I have been looking around the forums for a set of coherent plans/schematics to get me on my way but these appera to elude me just at the moment. Could you please help with some pointers to where i find the necessary instructions to build the PWM2PPM converter? Thanks for your attention and patience. :)

Is this V2 the same V2 circuit that evolved here, or something else? If it is something else, can you offer a link to Jim's (?) project?

Just about every problem has several opportunity solutions. I'm just trying to solve this one with some simple technology I can nail down with the e-hammers I have on the tool bench. First one tothe finish line gets the beer. :)

Hello Mr. RC-Cam

I was hoping that you might be able to sell me one of your PWM2PPM V2 cct boards. Is this a possibility? If not, then could you please point me to where I might be able to source one. In the near future(6months) I expect to complete my CNC router so I will be able to cut my own PCBs but for the moment I have no option but to ask nicely and hope that I am not imposing on anyone's time too much. :)

I have several more unstuffed V3 PCB's available. As mentioned earlier, they are $5 each plus shipping. Because the optional failsafe PIC is so tiny and requires a SOT23 adapter to program, I can supply it pre-burnt for $6 (but you can program your own as well).

If interested, please use the PM feature (not email!) to contact me for my Paypal information.

• 2 weeks later...