Sign in to follow this  
lambert_w

power cycle times on video transmitters?

I bought a Nutex video transmitter (http://www.nutex.com.tw/mini.htm) from Security Cameras Direct. (They sell it as the "WLS2404".) The transmission quality/range seems OK (for a Part 15-approved device), but my unit seems to have a painfully slow power cycle recovery time. If I turn the transmitter off and then turn it back on right away, the receiver does not lock to the resulting signal. Waiting 30 seconds to turn it on improves the odds a bit, and waiting a minute improves them more. But really to be guaranteed a reliable start you have to wait 2 MINUTES to turn it on again.

I verified this with a wall power supply hooked up only to the Nutex unit, so there are no battery discharge phenomena that could be causing my experience.

So, a couple questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this behavior with a Nutex transmitter?

2. Are other low-power transmitters more robust? Specifically I'm wondering about the X-10 unit and the 12V 2.4 GHz unit I see on Black Widow at http://www.blackwidowav.com/bwav2450casedtx.html

Thanks very much,

Lambert

I never heard about that phenomenon, nor experienced it with any TX/RX, regardless the manufacturer.

The stuff we use normally gets set up for a certain frequency/channel, so there is no scanning or similar procedure. Sorry.

From your description, it sounds like it is defective. Either that, or a very quirky design.

I've encountered something like this, in the days when I was butchering 2.4GHz "video senders" for my downlink; warnings in the blurb that you may have to wait for 30s or more (one had a little graph, showing the frequency shift over time, converging on the 'stable' frequency). A pain.

Most 2.4GHz transmitters I've tried do take a second or two to reach their stable frequency. The one you've tried sounds pretty extreme, but I guess for surveillance use such behaviour shouldn't be an issue...

I remember I once saw a 2.4GHz TX/RX set on where the receiver had a pot to adjust the frequency. You can find them on Ebay. In its documentation they say that the frequency shifts with temperature and that you have to readjust the receiver then.

I would recommend to go for another set, check out airwave and friends :)