Sign in to follow this  
skonkworkstexas

Range Differences between 900 and 2400 Mhz

I am trying to find out how much difference range is between 900 and 2.4 video transmitters.

My Commshop program showed 12 Db more field strength on 900Mhz at range than 2.4 Ghz.

However there is calculated fade margin and reality fade margin.

Whats the scoop?

Practically speaking, the ultimate deciding factor for a 900Mhz Vs 2400Mhz performance win is related to the quality of the Rx design. Find the right 900Mhz Rx and you should indeed experience a range advantage (per the reasons you mentioned).

But, the million dollar question is where to find a modern 900Mhz wireless A/V Rx that has performance similar the 2.4Ghz products that have been working well for us. :)

Practically speaking, the ultimate deciding factor for a 900Mhz Vs 2400Mhz performance win is related to the quality of the Rx design. Find the right 900Mhz Rx and you should indeed experience a range advantage (per the reasons you mentioned).

But, the million dollar question is where to find a modern 900Mhz wireless A/V Rx that has performance similar the 2.4Ghz products that have been working well for us. :)

How about that dual output reciever and 900 Tx from rangevideo.com? is it any good?

Also, are you still seeing good advances tweaking with 100Mhz 'scope, and flashlight in the camera peaking?

How about that dual output receiver and 900 Tx from rangevideo.com? is it any good?

I have no experience with it. Perhaps some users will chime in to share what they found.

My hunch is that it merely offers similar range to the newer 2.4Ghz Lawmate models. Keep in mind that the 2.4Ghz RF wireless A/V designs are more recent than the older 900Mhz products. Rx sensitivity improvements appear to have evened the playing field.

If you need to use 900Mhz then just go for it. However, if you don't have a preference of one over the other, then flip a coin. :)

Ironically, my flying partner just purchased a new 2.4 on the internet and GAVE me his old system! Man-O-Man, what a friend!

I assume the 2.4Gz is 50 or 60 mw. The 1.2 he gave me is a JMK ws-309a.

A google shows that to be a 1.2 50 mw.

Should give me some fou playing with the GP antenna project.

I am coaching my friend to the attributes of gain antennas, and I will extrapolate the exact frequency. The lowest frequency should be the longest wave, so I will probably go there.

Will make a good experience primer 'till the money gets right. I am gonna be a granpa in the next two weeks, and I am polishing pennies for daughters needs.

She has never asked me for anything, other than her first Semester of College.

Although that didn't work out, she has been on her own and has never asked for money in the three years since..I have a weakness for helping family that helps themself!