Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Wee

Effectiveness of omni-directional whip?

I was wondering if anyone here has pushed a whip antenna setup to the limit to see what kind of distance is realistic without resorting to patch antennas?

Right now, with my 2.4GHz 500mW TX and whip, and a Lawmate RX with whip, I've gone to over 1km (0.62 miles) without problems. However, I am not sure how far I can go with this setup. If some of you have gone further with this setup or with a 200mW TX similarly whip-antenna-equipped, can you post what sort of distances you have achieved? I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure for what to expect. Thanks.

Daniel

I get ~500m with 10mW on a whip, goes to 1000-1200m with a 8dBi patch, ~3000m (but noisy) with the 14dBi with 15dB LNA.

500m is good for 10mW, I only get 200m max and about 1000m with 500mW.

I would have expected better with the 8dBi patch though if you 500m with an omni. I can get 4x using the simple patch (800m max).

Terry

I think I can probably go further with my whip on both TX and RX on 500mW. I think I'll try to push it a little further and see what happens. I like not having to aim the patch antenna (I have an 8dBi patch).

Also, as a point of clarification - are you guys talking about ground distance or line of sight distance? If ground distance - what height is your TX flying? I am presuming that we're all talking about Lawmate receivers here so if you have something different (and Airwave for example) please indicate accordingly.

Kilrah, I've been wondering about the LNA - does the LNA help if you're just using the whip? Or the 8dBi?

Thanks.

Daniel

A member of our forum has gone 4km with lawmate 500 mW, and 3dbi whips on both sides. But he says not always can go this far but oftenly reaches 3 km without any problem :o . Some other members has been with him and has verified his long distance flights.

Wow, that's encouraging! 3km is actually about as far as I want to go. Question now is if my JR 72MHz synthesized TX module with the R770S synthesized RX will go 3km. Thanks Wavess - that's exactly the info I'm looking for.

Daniel

I am quoting Airwave 508, with a LNA I can almost double the range. Remember your range will be effected by local broadband interference so 3km may not be possable close to a built up aera.

Terry

Wow, that's encouraging! 3km is actually about as far as I want to go. Question now is if my JR 72MHz synthesized TX module with the R770S synthesized RX will go 3km. Thanks Wavess - that's exactly the info I'm looking for.

Daniel

Well take this with a lot of care. I have tried the same config with much poorer results. I hardly get 800m-1 km. My components are placed worst than him, he has much more separation between them, and much other things that affects rf. The theorical range for that combination is about 5 km if I remember well.

Terry could you link some LNA, I suposse you guys use them on the receiver´s hand.

Edited by Wavess

I'm also looking into a LNA for the receiver. The kit you linked to has some very nice specs - 0.3dB NF, that's really impressive. I've used a MAR-6 in the past and don't recall such good performance. It must be due to the high biased HEMT. Unfortunately, I don't think I can make that PCB so I'll have to source for something ready made. I am also concerned that at 17.5dB gain, the 3rd order IMD rejection won't be too good - maybe below 30dBm.

If any of you know of a good performing LNA, with a NF of less than 1.5dB and a gain of 14dB or more with good 3rd order IMD behaviour, please post the link here.

Daniel

I would have expected better with the 8dBi patch though if you 500m with an omni.

I was quoting this as it was the maximum I had actually tested and proved (R/C limitations then came into play) until yesterday, hehe :P

I got about 1500m ground distance at 550m height, with a very decent picture but some short drops when the antenna was obstructed a bit more by the plane.

But theoretically a 8dBi vs 3dBi is only 5dB gain, so less than doubling the range. I have never fully tested the whip either, maybe I can get a bit more.

But what is interesting is that I compared once more my 10mW TX and a 200mW Lawmate, with the same RX setup (antenna, receiver), placed at the same location. The 200mW TX was installed in the plane's tail, at ~80cm from the RX, and about 20cm from the closest part of the RX antenna. I was limited at 800m because of R/C glitches, and I had a very noisy picture there. I then switched back to the 10mW, and flew out to those 1500m with no glitch at all, a perfect picture at 800m, and less noise at 1500m than with the 200mW at 800m.

Guess what I'll use most now (as before). I had already done a test with same result but with the 200mW at 5cm from the RX with 600m of R/C range, so this was to be a confrmation, using a different TX unit to rule out possible bad performance of the one I had used the first time.

Kilrah, I've been wondering about the LNA - does the LNA help if you're just using the whip? Or the 8dBi?

The LNA is integrated right on the antenna's PCB (where it should be) so I can't use it with other ones unfortunately.

I however found one from a link on RCGroups the other day, ordered one to test, but it's pretty pricy so if it's not a big advantage it won't be worth it. I'll report when it arrives.

Kilrah, you show again that it's good to use minimum video TX power, I 100% agree. If it was not for broadband noise I would always use 10mW but often now I have to use 100mW.

I'm not sure why I see such a big increase in range with an 8dBi patch over an omni, my best guess is that the omni falls far short of 3dBi.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I've seen omni's that have similar design to what we normally use being advertised as 2dB or 2.3dB gain so you may be right that 3dB could be a little optimistic.

Daniel