Sign in to follow this  
bkdavy

Help identify receiver specs

Can anyone help me identify this receiver's specifications? Specifically, I'm trying to determine the max and min power voltages to determine whether I need to go through the trouble of adding a voltage regulator to my battery, or if I can just hook the battery up directly. The battery I have is a 14.8v 4 cell LiPo that has over 16 volts when fully charged. The reciever input is simply labeled 12v, but I know that many of these recievers simply incorporate and LM7805 or similar voltage regulator, which is good for up to 24 volts.

Thanks for any help.

Brad

post-5-1186587088_thumb.jpg

Looks like the item RangeVideo sell.

As you say, the regulator should be able to handle the volts, it's the power dissipation that will be the problem; these 2.4GHz receivers draw about 250-300mA, and most of this is needed at about 5v, and the regulators are often not very heavily heatsunk (sic). Lots of volts dropped = things overheat.

You would be wise to put in an external dropper resistor (ohm's law: R = I X V

I = 0.25A

V = battery voltage - minimum voltage for receiver, probably 9-11v)

or use an external regulator (on a heatsink) to keep the input volts down.

Irritating, I know, one day everything will have a built-in SMPS regulator for 1-10 LiPos....

Thanks for the response. As I continued my searching, I did find one reference to a web page where someone had opened it up and added aluminum blocks to the existing regulators to assist cooling.

I've decided to simply use an external LM7812 ($1.59 at Radio Shack). I've got plenty of capacitors lying around the shop. 5 minutes worth of solder and shrink wrap is easier than overheating the receiver.

Brad

Good idea! You'd probably get away with bolting the 7812 to the outside of the receiver case, if you can bear to drill it...