Sign in to follow this  
dalbert02

killed my lipo, need voltage sensing on/off switch

I had a lipo connected to some video gear, got distracted, and the next day I noticed they are puffed. It could have been a lot worse considering how carelessness with lipos often causes fires. Does anyone know of a switch that will completely disconnect the battery when the voltage sags to a certain point? The lipo savers I have seen will pulse the main power, but the device itself remains sucking a few milliamps until it is disconnected. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-dave

Several RC suppliers I've corresponded with say "No-one wants the battery disconnecting: your 'plane would crash!", and thus offer limiters and alarms, but nothing that just turns it off.

However, there are things like this and this. While these seem more aimed at LiIon than LiPo, I suspect that the deep discharge protection would still be much better than none!

I've throught of something liek this because i've "killed" more than a few lipos while working on the OSD (long nights accidently leaving the battery plugged in at the end of..).

I've found more often than not you can simply just recharge the lipo though on a really low amp charge. If your charger warns of undervoltage, charge it as a nimh at the lowest amount of power you can until it gets to the minimum voltage your charger will take to charge it.

Make sure the lipo is in a lipo bag or similar when doing this though, i had one almost go up (massively puffy, VERY hot). I've also had one that refused to take voltage, but more often than not they can be used again if your drain was very slow.

Thank you for the links. I agree some protection is better then none. In fact, that is how I over dischraged mine, while playing with an OSD. However, my Neu Power 2100's looked like sausages in the morning so I threw them away. :( I didn't want to risk charging already puffed cells but will try that next time if the cells look normal. Thanks.

-dave

I didn't want to risk charging already puffed cells but will try that next time if the cells look normal.

You might want to read this thread before you attempt to charge puffed cells. Just search the word "puffed" in it to find some interesing F451 results.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

Charging already puffed ones is very bad indeed.

However on some occasions I've had cells that had gone slightly puffed and went back to normal after a day or 2.

In those cases I charge slowly next to me, checking the battery every 5mins and cycling each individual cell of the pack individually to check capacity. If that works out it's yet another pack to use for auxiliary low current draw gear.