Sign in to follow this  
chedder123

Top RC-Gun

Has anyone built this? A group of us have been dying to get into the electronic combat as we've all been building electronic GWS warbirds lately. It's interesting that no one has really developed or even marketed this concept, except for HobbyZone. Too bad their combat module is proprietary to their RC models. They would've sold a lot more if they had made it more generic to be compatible with all types of RC systems.

We'll be diving into this project over the next couple weeks. Just curious if there's anyone else who has been down this road that might be able to lend a hand for any questions or give some tips/pointers. We'll post back our progess and pitfalls that we run into and also hopefully our success.

Should be fun!

Thanks,

Chad

I've been thinking how easy it would be to mount cheap lasers on the aircraft that 'shot' a pulsed beam. The target aircraft would have recievers mounted that would count a hit when shot with the beam.

Better yet, airborne airsoft.

Guys,

if any one is interested, The Top RC-Gun uses the older style sonic combat modules. The one that i use, http://www.air-commander.com uses the newer style sonic combat module. They are different in that the Top RC-Gun cant use the new and Air-Commander cant use the old. I have 7 available old style sonic combat modules free for the taking as long as you will pay the shipping. Then all you have to do is build the circuit described by RC-Cam. I however, chose to go the Air-Commander route since it has built in games and has a digital display to show hits and shots. it also has a built in lost model locator in the event you go down in tall grass. Email me at brian at altitudeap.com

Edited by altitudeap

There are two different RC-Gun projects. The original only works with the old style SCM (sonic combat module). The other will work with both old and new style SCMs. Both designs are on the rc-cam projects page.

Yes I did this recently, and it works great! :) The airwars thing looks cool to, but I think that was a bit more expensive. I really did not run into any problems. I got this programmer from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...:MEWN:IT&ih=001

which came from this company (which is having web site issues aparently):

www.kipa-usa.com

but the programmer worked fine, and for only $10!! :)

Can't seem to get it to work. This is the RTF module from Mr. RC-Cam.I'm using a Castle Creations brushless controller. The throttle doesn't arm with the unit plugged in. Aux channel works fine to fire the sonic module. Any suggestions?

I'm using a Castle Creations brushless controller. The throttle doesn't arm with the unit plugged in. Aux channel works fine to fire the sonic module. Any suggestions?

Let's try this: For safety, remove the prop. Install a Y-cable on the ESC/throttle channel and piggyback a servo on it. Do you see the servo travel correctly as the throttle stick is moved back and forth?

*Got it to work! Found this post on RCgroups:

"I had a problem with the module not runing the motor powered by CC10 ESC when channel 4 for firing was used.

I just looked at the TopGun description and I found the notice:

"Compatibility Notice: Some versions of the Castle Creations Phoenix 10 brushless speed controller, when used with a Futaba or Hitec transmitter, will not work with the Gear channel controlled method"

If this is about my problem, the problem was (as Mr.RC-Cam described to me) with fireing with the channel next to the throttle which is rudder (4) not the gear (5), I think I wouldn't have a problem with channel number 5 as I don't have any issues fireing with channel number 1.

I have two modules on thwo GWS warbirds. Both have CC10 just one is about half year old, the other one I've bought about 3 weeks ago. I used GWS 4-channel receiver so my setup is:

On my first module (GWS ZERO with the old CC10) I have

CH1 - Ailerons

CH2 - Elevator

CH3 - Throttle

CH4 - Fire.

For that I mixed on my Futaba 8U Tx:

P-MIX1: Rudder-Rudder, -100%, -100% always On (to deactivate rudder stick)

P-MIX2: Ofset-Rudd: +100% activated by switch F (trainer) to fire from channel 4 using trainer switch.

No problem at all.

Tha same setup didn't want to work with the new CC10. Everything worked except motor didn't run (I could hear CC10 initialized but motor didn't run). When I disconnected the fire cable from channel 4 using fire by throttle stick it work OK. I found it also worked OK wjhen I connected fire cable to channel 1.

So on the second module (SPITFIRE with the new CC10) it's a little more complicated:

CH1 - Fire.

CH2 - Elevator

CH3 - Trottle

CH4 - Ailerons

I had to program the following mixers:

P-MIX1. Rudder-Rudder: -100%, -100% always On (to deactivate rudder stick)

P-MIX2. Ailerons-Ailerons: -100%, -100% always On (to deactivate aileron stick)

P-MIX3. Ailerons-Rudder +100, +100% always On, Link On, Trim On (to controll channel 4 from the aileron stick)

P-MIX4. Ofset-Ailerons: +100% activated by switch F (trainer) to fire from channel 1 using trainer switch.

Thanks Mr.RC-CAM for helping me solving this problem

RysiuM"

*Looks like channel 4 was the culprit. Thanks Thomas! :)

Edited by docphi

Can't seem to get it to work. This is the RTF module from Mr. RC-Cam.I'm using a Castle Creations brushless controller. The throttle doesn't arm with the unit plugged in. Aux channel works fine to fire the sonic module. Any suggestions?

Hi Mr.RC-CAM,

I build two of them, but I have the same problem of the docphi. I tested in some distinct electronic: two ESC Align, one ESC Hyperion, one ESC TowerPro, two RX Electron 6 and one RX GWS 8ch dual...with one TX Futaba 9CHP and other 7CAP.

I tried with aux channel and throttle channel to fire the sonic gun and work fine, but the motor doesn't run!

Any ideias?

Thanks!

Does the throttle work when you use the single channel "Throttle activated weapons" mode?

Does the throttle work when you use the single channel "Throttle activated weapons" mode?

No, doesn't work too... but the sonic gun works great in this mode or in aux channel mode... :huh:

The problem docphi reported only affects two-channel operation when used with an ESC like the newer Castle CC10. So, your symptoms suggest that something else is wrong.

I would start by reviewing the connections to the PIC's throttle out signal. Are you sure that R2 is 1K ohms? Any chance you installed something else? Does the throttle work if you remove (short across) R2?

Do all your testing while in the single channel throttle Activated Weapons mode. Don't plug in the Aux firing cable until you resolve the throttle problem.

That is good news. It would be wise to install at least a 150 ohm in place of the 1K ohm.

BTW, brown, black, red is 1K ohms, but what does your ohmmeter say? Maybe the red is really an odd shade of orange.