Sign in to follow this  
billrad

question about using the Linksys Wireless router a

I saw a pair of linksys 2.4 router antennas, which are supposed to boost reception and transmission of their wireless gateway routers. It is carried in Radio shack for about 29 bucks a pair.

Would it be worth connecting this to the transmitter and receiver of, say the rc-cam4? I have a similar setup, but have not made the dipole antenna yet.

thoughts?

Bill

Edited by billrad

Ok,

I have built my rc-cam4. Sweet. All powered by a 4.8 nicad pack. I am experimenting with different antennas on the transmitter now.

I plan to swap the current dipole antenna with the one designed by yb2normal.

I still wonder if the add on 2.4 ghz router antennas sold at Radio Shack would be preferable. Size is not an issue. I will have the rccam on a several huge airplanes.

This begs another question - could I have some sort of dipole antenna run, say, the length of an rc airplane (let's say 70+ inches) and have even better transmitting capabilities?

thanks for any thoughts.

Bill

This begs another question - could I have some sort of dipole antenna run, say, the length of an rc airplane (let's say 70+ inches) and have even better transmitting capabilities?

The dipole's length is determined by the operating frequency. Stretching it longer will actually make it a poor performer; it will no longer be resonant and/or will have extreme RF losses due to VSWR issues.

The home/office LAN antennas tend to be for short distance use. It might be a gamble to expect better performance than the simple ground plane type Tx antenna discussed on YB2normal's web page.

For better Rx antenna performance you could use a high gain yagi or circular polarized patch design. The coax feedline should be VERY short to minimize RF losses.

Keep in mind that the RC-Cam4 project is for short range R/C apps. It works well up to about 400 ft LOS. If you are flying a large model then the low power might not provide the typical range you may need. Improving the antennas will help a lot, but a higher powered Tx is the usual solution to this.

Thanks for the info. Very enlightening.

I would like to get more range, eventually. The place where we fly lets us get very very high on clear days.

I made the yb2normal antenna and installed it. It makes a good bit of improvement. I'll try to check it out for range soon. It has been too cold here in Kentucky lately.

Could you recommend a stronger transmitter for when the time comes? And would I need a better receiver as well?

thanks!

BIll

YOU CANNOT USE THOSE ANTENNAS FROM RAT SHACK!! That is unless you are using REVERSE SMA connectors on your video stuff. All the wireless networking, 802.11b & g have to use reverse SMA or reverse TNC antenna connectors. The signal pin is in the wrong side of the connector.

Now, if you want to just take the little piece of circuit board out of the antenna that they have in there as the dipole and solder it straight in that would work. Just be aware the connections will not mate properly.

Matt

Right, I saw that at Radio Shack when I was browsing. For 29 bucks for two, I wanted to make sure they were usable, and apparantly, the yb2normal antenna is the stuff, unless I go for a more powerful transmitter. Maybe something along the lines of blackwidow's products...

appreciate the info!

I can see myself eventuallu doing the GPS / overlay / mapping software at some point. I could use some recommendations on that as well.

I'd love to see a matrix with all the "approved solutions" in it.

I'd take a stab at it if I knew more about what I was doing :)

Bill